Regarding Windows Update.

VistaKing

Banned
I have Vista Ultimate 32bit. I'm trying to download the Language Packs and it will do the downloads and some of the installs then I get an error message " code:800700C1 " . Is there a way to fix that ? What also happens is the updates that I installed already show up there again. Like the Ultimate Extras.

My Computer

I have Vista Ultimate 32bit. I'm trying to download the Language Packs and it will do the downloads and some of the installs then I get an error message " code:800700C1 " . Is there a way to fix that ? What also happens is the updates that I installed already show up there again. Like the Ultimate Extras.

Hi King,

Can you attach a System Infomation report? Type the name into the start-menu.

Cheers
Steven

My Computer

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]0x800700C1

ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
Not a valid Win32 application

You can download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be installed later.
Microsoft Update Catalog

How-to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog here:
How to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog

Search for a download
Microsoft Download Center

How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista -
1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an Administrator)

Start> Control Panel> System and Maintenance> Administrative Tools> Services

Right-click the Windows Update serviceand click Stop.

2. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Start the Windows Update service

Start> Control Panel> System and Maintenance> Administrative Tools> Services

Right-click the Windows Update service and click Start.

This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update Site. Not important.

You can always check which updates are installed on your computer by -
Control Panel> Programs and Features> View installed updates.

Let me know if it solves the problem.

Steven
[/FONT]

My Computer

I will try the sfc/scannow command later. Can't really do it right now. I know this is out of the windows update question but is there away to change the ProgramFilesDir from C:\Program files to D:\Program files and still have everything working fine? I did that through the regedit and then I could play any of the games, media player didn't work.

My Computer

I will try the sfc/scannow command later. Can't really do it right now. I know this is out of the windows update question but is there away to change the ProgramFilesDir from C:\Program files to D:\Program files and still have everything working fine? I did that through the regedit and then I could play any of the games, media player didn't work.

Hi VistaKing,

You dont need to force the Programfiles path via registry, When installing a program just change its installation DIR to elsewhere.

Steven

My Computer

Enable the UCA on the computer when you make any changes on the computer

What will do that? Will that allow me to change my C:\Program Files to D:\Program Files in the registry without messing up the games. I did that once and it didnt allow me to play any games even the media player and other stuff work. I couldn't even get back into the reistry to fix it. I had to go to safe mode to fix it back to normal.

I remember with XP that sometimes this problem was due to smipi.dll
You could run a sfc /scannow to check your files integrity, who knows?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

Just ran the SFC /SCANNOW it found some corrupted files and successfully repaired them. When I went to read the CBS.LOG I get an error message saying " access denied " with a blank notepad.

My Computer

Disabling UAC will severely limit the security of your computer, allowing anything to make system-wide changes potentially destroying system files causing more problems.

UAC is only one reason you cant change the DIR path because it protects the Programfiles DIR and others from programs preventing virus`s or spyware from infecting your machine.

Read our Guide on SFC here: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html also note in the document 1. How to Read the CBS.LOG

Can you upload the sfcdetails.txt here so we can analyse it for you?

Steven

My Computer

Disabling UAC will severely limit the security of your computer, allowing anything to make system-wide changes potentially destroying system files causing more problems.

UAC is only one reason you cant change the DIR path because it protects the Programfiles DIR and others from programs preventing virus`s or spyware from infecting your machine.

Read our Guide on SFC here: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html also note in the document 1.How to Read the CBS.LOG

Can you upload the sfcdetails.txt here so we can analyse it for you?

Steven

How do you upload a file on here ?

I typed this " findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt " in the command prompt and nothing opened up.

My Computer

Hey King,

It needs to be an Administrative Command Prompt and upload files via the attachments button.

Steven

My Computer

I'm using the Administrative command prompt , I get a message saying " FINDSTR: Cannot open windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs "

I typed the extact command and after I pressed the enter key I get a new line in the command prompt " C:\Windows\system32 " . Nothing popped up after I did that command you told me to do.

My Computer

Hi vistaking,
The sfcdetails.txt is writen directly in your system32 folder, no poup or whatever after the command you entered, you could have only some warnings in the prompt command if you entered a wrong command.
So go to your c:\windows\system32 folder and copy the sfcdetails.txt file, attach it to your next post.
If you can't find your sfcdetails.txt file, do not worry, just zip your cbs.log file, attach the zip and we will manage to create the sfcdetails.txt for you.

To create a sfcdetails.txt file you have 4 possibilities:

Shows everything done by sfc
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Shows files that cannot be repaired
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Shows repaired files
findstr /C:"[SR] Repaired file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
or
findstr /C:"[SR] Repairing corrupted file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Hope it helps

My Computer

Back