Solved Removed Antivirus Action and now certain programs have stopped working

bluedoc

Hi, I recently got infected with a virus disguising itself as an antivirus program called "Antivirus Action". I looked up some info online and followed the directions that I found here: Remove Antivirus Action (Uninstall Guide). I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and deleted the files it told me to.

It detected the Antivirus Action and about 10 other files so I deleted them. I tried to make sure that no important files were being deleted, but I don't know much about computers so maybe it did. When I restarted and logged onto my account I got a few notices saying these (and other) programs had stopped working: WMI Provider Host, Windows Explorer, Microsoft Sync Center. I can't remember the other ones but those are the ones I wrote down. When Windows Explorer stopped working my desktop icons and taskbar disappeared. I tried restarting again and this time Windows Explorer didn't stop working, but whenever I try to open something like Task Manager or Word Processor, I get the same 'stopped working' error message.

After one particular restart I also got a notice saying "logon.scr - Application error. The application failed to initialize properly. Click OK to terminate the application" but that has happened only once so far. Sometimes after restarting, Windows Explorer and some other programs stop working immediately and all I'm left with is a black screen and I have to force shut down but usually Windows Explorer won't stop working until a few minutes after everything starts up.

After restarting a few more times in safe mode and re-running Malwarebyte which didn't find anything, I restarted in normal mode. Some programs stopped working again, and I still can't start task manager. At the moment, Windows Explorer has stopped working and my desktop icons/taskbar are gone again so I can't access any other programs (I opened Firefox before Explorer crashed). Whenever I try to open Task Manager using ctrl shift esc, it crashes before it opens. Not even the alt + tab window switching thing works.

Everything works fine in safe mode, no 'stopped working' notices or anything so is it possible that I still have some sort of virus/malware, or maybe Malwarebyte deleted a vital file? Also, for some reason I don't have any system restore points to go back to. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to provide as much info as I could.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. I'm starting to get desperate since it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Update: I managed to figure out what was causing the problem using the clean boot method. It was something called "PC Tools Security Service" which is strange since it's a part of Spyware Doctor. I decided to uninstall Spyware Doctor and so far everything is running fine. 30 bucks down the drain but at least my computer works now...

Thanks again for your help, Rich.

My Computer

Truly glad to hear that. You deserve some credit. Your use of Safe Mode and telling us was my fist lead. Dont forget to check with security about the virus. You want to be sure that it is gone.
Replace syware DR with Microsoft Security Essentials, the free version of Malwarbytes and the Windows Firewall. You will have great protection that is both free from cost and trouble.
Good luck

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card