Removing the Sleep function in the Shutdown menu

ByLine
Here's a way to remove the sleep function in the shutdown menu
Synopsis
This will show how to remove the Sleep option from the Shutdown options.
Here's a way to remove the sleep function in the shutdown menu:

* Click Start, Run
* Type "regedit"
- If you want to disable sleep for all users, go to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\
- If you want to disable sleep for the current user only, go to HKey_Current_User\Software\Policies\Power\ and skip the next 2 steps.
* In the right pane, rightclick and choose "new","key".
* Type "Power"
* Again, in the right pane, rightclick and choose "new","key".
* Type "PowerSettings"
* Once more; in the right pane, rightclick and choose "new","key".
* Type "abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab"
* You will now have the following in the left pane:

* Now, in the right pane, rightclick and choose "DWord (32 bit)-value"
* Type "ACSettingIndex"
* Doubleclick this entry and set it's value to 0 (Hexadecimal)
* It will now look like this:

* Reboot or logoff and logon and sleep is gone from the shutdown menu.

This however, does not remove the sleep option from the new start menu, but it'll be greyed-out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Hi, I'm new here. Something has disabled the Sleep function in my Vista Ultimate 64 and I want to get it back. Sleep was working fine until yesterday. Now it goes into full Hibernate mode when I hit the Sleep button on the keyboard. In the Start menu, the Sleep function is grayed out now.

I searched but only found this tutorial on how to Disable Sleep Function. So how do I enable it? Do I follow the same instructions as above, except for the final hex value use "1" instead of "0"?
Thanks for the help!
>>>> Clay >>>>

Hi, I'm new here. Something has disabled the Sleep function in my Vista Ultimate 64 and I want to get it back. Sleep was working fine until yesterday. Now it goes into full Hibernate mode when I hit the Sleep button on the keyboard. In the Start menu, the Sleep function is grayed out now.

I searched but only found this tutorial on how to Disable Sleep Function. So how do I enable it? Do I follow the same instructions as above, except for the final hex value use "1" instead of "0"?
Thanks for the help!
>>>> Clay >>>>
Hi,

I.m.o., the best thing to do to enable the sleepfunction is the following;

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\ and remove the whole 'Power' key in the left pane by rightclicking the word 'Power' and choose remove.
This should work.

Good luck

Last edited:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\ and remove the whole 'Power' key in the left pane by rightclicking the word 'Power' and choose remove.
This should work.
I went to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ in Regedit and I found no "Power" entry. Now I'm stumped again. Something has disabled my Sleep function. I tried rolling back to a recover point from two days ago when it was working, but that didn't fix it either.

Any other thoughts on how to re-enable the Sleep function?

Hi Clay,

You might go through this tutorial also to see if something in there is the cause of your sleep problem. I would check to see if you accidentally cleaned (disabled) the hibernation file in Disk Cleanup, check your sleep settings in the Power Plan options, and the other steps.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

Have you installed or changed anything before this happened?

Shawn
Hibernation is working fine. That is sort of the problem. When I press the Sleep key on the keyboard, it actually goes into full hibernation instead. When I look at the Start button options, the Sleep selection is disabled (grayed out, not selectable). The Sleep function was working fine until two days ago (Monday) when I noticed that the computer wasn't waking up when I moved the mouse or touched the keyboard. I now have to hit the front power switch to get it to start back up. Then it does come back out of hibernation, resuming with everything where I left it.

I did install a couple of driver updates the day before Sleep stopped working. So I rolled the system back to the Recover point that was saved the day before the driver update. That still didn't fix it.

In the Power Plan options, I have everything set to Sleep. I think there is even a setting where I tell it to "Never Hibernate".

I will step through the other tutorial to see what I can find. Thanks for the pointer.

>>>> Clay >>>>

It is not HKLM but HKCU

Sid.
I did find a "Power" key there, so I deleted it and restarted the system. Didn't make any difference though. I have no Sleep options. Only full Hibernate and Shut Down.

I'll have to step through the other tutorial mentioned above this weekend and see if I can find anything.

Thanks,
>>>> Clay >>>>

Last weekend I updated a couple of drivers on my system: the NVIDIA and the audio card. The next day, all the Sleep functions were gone. I eventually reverted to the recovery point prior to the driver updates, but that didn't fix the Sleep functions.

Today I decided that I might as well go ahead and re-install the video and audio driver updates. And the Sleep function magically came back. All is working fine now.

Go figure!

>>>> Clay >>>>