Repeated BSOD

Hi -

If you would like the dump files processed along with some crash dump analysys of them and your system in general - do this:

Please download http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe from Microsoft TechNet and SAVE it to your DOCUMENTS folder. Next, download the attached zip and extract the batch file to your DESKTOP. Then go to desktop, RIGHT-click on the batch file and select Run as Administrator.
It will run for approx 5 minutes - you will see a status screen - others will appear then close. No user interaction - just let it run. Upon completion, go to your documents folder and zip up the newly created folder named Vista_Support_jgriff2 and attach it to next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    CPU
    Intel P7350 Core2 Duo @2GHz
    Memory
    4096mb DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Sound Card
    IDT
    Hard Drives
    Fujitsu 320gb SATA HDD 5400RPM
    Mouse
    Logitech USB
    Internet Speed
    Intel 5100
Hi -

If you would like the dump files processed along with some crash dump analysys of them and your system in general - do this:

Please download http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe from Microsoft TechNet and SAVE it to your DOCUMENTS folder. Next, download the attached zip and extract the batch file to your DESKTOP. Then go to desktop, RIGHT-click on the batch file and select Run as Administrator.
It will run for approx 5 minutes - you will see a status screen - others will appear then close. No user interaction - just let it run. Upon completion, go to your documents folder and zip up the newly created folder named Vista_Support_jgriff2 and attach it to next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

trying again, sorry to be superredundant, not my day

Re: Repeated BSOD
jcgriff2--thanks for your offer. not sure I understand your instructions, sorry. download the attached zip? attached to your post? (don't see any) attached to the autorun file in some way? Sorry to be so dense here. I've run the autorun.exe file as admin but it doesn't seem to be creating any file. My computer just blue screened again (argh!). Thought these troubles were behind me. Seem to occur when I use media type files (1st, when using itunes, 2nd, when viewing a streaming video).

My Computer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    CPU
    Memory
    4096mb DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Sound Card
    IDT
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech USB
    Internet Speed
    Intel 5100
jcgriff2,
Looks like I will be able to upload the file. different name, but I assume this is what you were asking for.

btw, i called and talked to dell again, to my fifth tech. They asked me to run memory diagnostics for third time, suprisingly this time I got a fail (none the prior two times) before the "custom memory diagnostics" just hung. Each subsequent time I tried it is also hung. They were going to ask me to pull out the memory modules and test them each one by one when I told them I wasn't going to waste any more time on this machine, I wanted a new one. They said instead they are going to send a tech to my house at some indeterminate time to replace memory and motherboard. Don't know when that will happen or whether it will fix the problem. More than you likely want to know.

much thanks

Attachments

• TSF_Vista_Support zipped.zip
    514.4 KB · Views: 2

My Computer

Finally figuring this out. This is just a case of Dell building junk machines. The XPS M1330 has been plagued by issues for over a year, well before I bought mine. I can't believe I missed it. Essentially they just run too hot and wear out. Mine was fine for six months now it is just failing. I noticed today that when I turned up the heat in the room the fan started going on and then two minutes later the graphics freaked out and the computer locked up. They are replacing my motherboard supposedly but from what I hear that won't solve the problem, it will just get you out of the warranty period. Sometimes they try to sneak a slower, cooler cpu into your motherboard to solve the problem. Officially, I hate Dell.

Thanks everyone for your help, sorry I burned a bunch of cycles with Vista experts on a non Vista problem.

Regards

My Computer

Finally figuring this out. This is just a case of Dell building junk machines. The XPS M1330 has been plagued by issues for over a year, well before I bought mine. I can't believe I missed it. Essentially they just run too hot and wear out. Mine was fine for six months now it is just failing. I noticed today that when I turned up the heat in the room the fan started going on and then two minutes later the graphics freaked out and the computer locked up. They are replacing my motherboard supposedly but from what I hear that won't solve the problem, it will just get you out of the warranty period. Sometimes they try to sneak a slower, cooler cpu into your motherboard to solve the problem. Officially, I hate Dell.

Thanks everyone for your help, sorry I burned a bunch of cycles with Vista experts on a non Vista problem.

Regards

In that case, I would certainly ask for a full refund or else!:sa:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E6850
    Motherboard
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 680i
    Memory
    4 x OCZ Platinum 1GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi X Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" 5MS
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    2 x Barracuda 7200.10 320GB RAID 0 / 1 x 500GB Maxtor
    PSU
    Seasonic 600W M12
    Case
    CM Centurion 5
    Cooling
    air
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
Hi. . .

I ran the 3 mini kernel dumps and they do in fact point towards RAM.

The bugchecks (STOP error codes):

0x50 (0xffdf559d, 0x8, 0xffdf559d, 0x0), probable cause = NT Kernel

0x50 (0xfffffffd, 0x0, 0x81d68c01, 0x0), p/c = NT Kernel

0xa, (0xff5ff748, 0x2, 0x0, 0x81c46522), p/c = memory corruption

I was also surprised to see that you ARE NOT updated with Vista Service Pack 1. This is a must. After Dell "fixes" your system, I would absolutely recommend a re-install of Vista. This way any other lingering hardware issues will hopefully surface - and Dell won't be able to blame it on installed programs.

After the re-install, allow ALL Windows Updates and manufacturer driver updates to come in.

If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Full dump logs are attached.

Regards. . .

JC

Bugcheck Summary
Code:
.Built by: 6000.16754.x86fre.vista_gdr.080917-1612
Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 12:27:58.262 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:33:03.034
BugCheck 50, {ffdf559d, 8, ffdf559d, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTrap0E+dc )
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe

Built by: 6000.16754.x86fre.vista_gdr.080917-1612
Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 11:53:49.730 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:43.434
BugCheck 50, {fffffffd, 0, 81d68c01, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!CmpCacheLookup+9f )
PROCESS_NAME:  WINWORD.EXE

Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 11:49:04.856 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:35:40.100
BugCheck A, {ff5ff748, 2, 0, 81c46522}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiIdentifyPfn+5f4 )
PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    CPU
    Memory
    4096mb DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Sound Card
    IDT
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech USB
    Internet Speed
    Intel 5100
Hey jcgriff2,
Thanks a ton.

What does NT Kernel error mean?

I sent you an email, but to recap, the Dell tech told me not to install SP1 or any other Windows updates or he would not guarantee the computer would work. Amazing! I specifically asked him about SP1 and he confirmed that.

This is even though I rec'd an alert on my Dell Support Tool that said that I should turn all Windows updates on.

I will probably let them install new mobo and see how that works.

Then once I get past a big deadline I am on I will install SP1, then gradually other updates.

My Computer

I don't think I am getting my new memory or mobo now because according to site they tried to call me and I was unavailable, which is ridiculous because I have been sitting by the phone all day.

This is unbelievable.

My Computer

Hi. . .

I ran the 3 mini kernel dumps and they do in fact point towards RAM.

The bugchecks (STOP error codes):

0x50 (0xffdf559d, 0x8, 0xffdf559d, 0x0), probable cause = NT Kernel

0x50 (0xfffffffd, 0x0, 0x81d68c01, 0x0), p/c = NT Kernel

0xa, (0xff5ff748, 0x2, 0x0, 0x81c46522), p/c = memory corruption

I was also surprised to see that you ARE NOT updated with Vista Service Pack 1. This is a must. After Dell "fixes" your system, I would absolutely recommend a re-install of Vista. This way any other lingering hardware issues will hopefully surface - and Dell won't be able to blame it on installed programs.

After the re-install, allow ALL Windows Updates and manufacturer driver updates to come in.

If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Full dump logs are attached.

Regards. . .

JC

Bugcheck Summary
Code:
.Built by: 6000.16754.x86fre.vista_gdr.080917-1612
Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 12:27:58.262 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:33:03.034
BugCheck 50, {ffdf559d, 8, ffdf559d, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTrap0E+dc )
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe

Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 11:53:49.730 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:43.434
BugCheck 50, {fffffffd, 0, 81d68c01, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!CmpCacheLookup+9f )
PROCESS_NAME:  WINWORD.EXE

Debug session time: Mon Jan  5 11:49:04.856 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:35:40.100
BugCheck A, {ff5ff748, 2, 0, 81c46522}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiIdentifyPfn+5f4 )
PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

Hey jcgriff2,
Thanks a ton.

What does NT Kernel error mean?

I sent you an email, but to recap, the Dell tech told me not to install SP1 or any other Windows updates or he would not guarantee the computer would work. Amazing! I specifically asked him about SP1 and he confirmed that.

This is even though I rec'd an alert on my Dell Support Tool that said that I should turn all Windows updates on.

I will probably let them install new mobo and see how that works.

Then once I get past a big deadline I am on I will install SP1, then gradually other updates.

I don't think I am getting my new memory or mobo now because according to site they tried to call me and I was unavailable, which is ridiculous because I have been sitting by the phone all day.

This is unbelievable.

I find it incredible and ludicrous that Dell or any other OEM would tell you not to install Vista SP1 - it came out about 11 months ago! Vista SP1 is nothing more than a roll-up of prior Windows Updates plus additional hot-fixes. BSODs have occurred b/c of SP1 NOT being installed.

One problem with not installing Vista SP1 or Windows Updates is that Dell driver updates continue to update expecting WU to be updated. Otherwise you end up having newer Dell drivers and older MS drivers. This in itself is a recipe for BSODs.

I would advise my prior post course of action - re-install Vista and let ALL Windows Updates and Dell OEM updates in. The problem w/ SP1 is that there are pre-requisite Windows Updates that must be in place 1st before SP1 will make itself available to you in Windows Updates. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU DOWNLOAD SP1 directly from MS and install - let it come to you.

Personally, I would bug the hell out of Dell until they replace the hardware they say they need to. After that, the only test of a fully functioning system is the introduction of all outstanding WU and Dell driver updates. Then let the system run for a few days - surfing the Web, but wait for 24-48 hours before installing any new programs. Run the batch script again b4 installing new programs so I have a reference point and will be able to tell you the status of a "pristine" Dell Vista SP1 system. I can check Event logs, WERCON, Vista system health report and see just how well it is doing prior to the introduction of 3ed party program installs. This is how I troubleshoot.

Your call here, of course, but I can tell you that I have advised the same with 1000's of users and have not run into trouble yet. This is the same method that I employ for the 7 Vista systems here - a combination of pre-SP1 x86, post-SP1 x86, pre-SP1 x64 and post SP1 x64 and have never had issues in doing so.

I certainly welcome comments from anyone on my methodology.

Again, it is absurd for Dell or any other OEM to tell you not to install updates --- as the first thing they usually do is to re-install Vista in order to place the blame on Microsoft.

Regards. . .

JC

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    CPU
    Memory
    4096mb DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Sound Card
    IDT
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech USB
    Internet Speed
    Intel 5100
Ok, sounds good. That explains why SP1 didn't show up right away, I was wondering about that.

meanwhile, waiting for my mobo (godot). bad joke.

I posted the name of the tech and his advice on dell forums to see if they are telling anyone else that same thing.

My Computer

JC--

They replaced the mobo and it seems to work so far.

I talked to Dell again and they do recommend that in "some cases, where appropriate" they advise against taking any Vista updates, including SP1.

I think this means they recommend trying it if everything else fails.

I frankly did not have time to do a full restore of Vista, but I did want to go ahead and accept all the updates and SP1 which I have done. I also made sure I updated all drivers from Dell.

So far it works well.

If I have problems again I will do full restore.

I'll also run the diagnostics next week to see where that gets me and if you can check those that would be great.

Thanks

My Computer

Hi -

Re-install not absolutely necessary here - I re-read my post - did not mean for it to sound like mandate! Just keep in mind SP2 is around the corner. If you're comfortable w/ stability of system, that is all that matters. Re-install of Vista would be good idea if further problems develop to help isolate hardware v. software issues. What you don't want is to be near end or past warranty w/ Dell telling you it is a MS problem - and of course MS telling you it is Dell.

When you're ready -- let SP1 come in, but some prep work will probably have to be done. Temp file cleaning, defrag, SFC, etc...

Here is MS KB - SP1 FAQs - Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Frequently Asked Questions

MS KB containing info on SFC - Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding

Apologies w/ late reply.. very busy with kids since Holidays over.

Regards. . .

JC

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-1020us
    CPU
    Memory
    4096mb DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Sound Card
    IDT
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Logitech USB
    Internet Speed
    Intel 5100
Hi -

Re-install not absolutely necessary here - I re-read my post - did not mean for it to sound like mandate! Just keep in mind SP2 is around the corner. If you're comfortable w/ stability of system, that is all that matters. Re-install of Vista would be good idea if further problems develop to help isolate hardware v. software issues. What you don't want is to be near end or past warranty w/ Dell telling you it is a MS problem - and of course MS telling you it is Dell.

When you're ready -- let SP1 come in, but some prep work will probably have to be done. Temp file cleaning, defrag, SFC, etc...

Here is MS KB - SP1 FAQs - Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Frequently Asked Questions

MS KB containing info on SFC - Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding

Apologies w/ late reply.. very busy with kids since Holidays over.

Regards. . .

JC

Thanks JC, will keep all that in my back pocket.

Still running smoothly so far.

I will give it another few days then re run some diagnostics.

crossing my fingers

My Computer

Back