Requirements for 64

jamepc

I just got my new HP HDX and surprisingly it has Vista 64 preinstalled on it (surprising because it didn't mention 64 bit anywhere in the description). I have a few questions regarding Vista 64.

Obviously all the drivers that came with it must be 64 bit but does all software I want to install on this have to be a 64 Bit version?

Or is it that 32 bit software will run as long as all drivers are 64 bit?

Will MS provide a 32 bit version if I request it?

Thanks!
Jamie

My Computer

Most of Win 32 bit applications should run under Vista x64 without problems.
That is theory. In real life many programs still have some compatibility issues and some does not run at all under x64.

My Computer

My experience with Vista 64 is that near ALL 32 bit software works without problems.

The only problems are when older software editions call on hardware devices, eg CD burning and the like, then you can run into problems, and usually need to upgrade to the newer (+$/€/£) version for full Vista compatability.

I just got my new HP HDX and surprisingly it has Vista 64 preinstalled on it (surprising because it didn't mention 64 bit anywhere in the description). I have a few questions regarding Vista 64.

Obviously all the drivers that came with it must be 64 bit but does all software I want to install on this have to be a 64 Bit version?

Or is it that 32 bit software will run as long as all drivers are 64 bit?

Will MS provide a 32 bit version if I request it?

Thanks!
Jamie

My Computer

All my games have worked. Have you tried selecting additioin combatability options of the shortcut? And the usual install/run as administrator thingy?
yea i have tried running them in compatability mode and as admin, the games what havent worked for me have been battlefield 2142 and battlefield 2.

My Computer

I ran BF2 for many an hour no problems (eventually) in Vista - Initally I got the memory.dll error crash to desktop error.

Lots of others played BF2 BF2142 no trouble on Vista 64 - thats unfortunate it didn't work for you.:(

yea i have tried running them in compatability mode and as admin, the games what havent worked for me have been battlefield 2142 and battlefield 2.

My Computer

Back