- How to Use and Change a Screen Saver in Vista
A screen Saver is a moving picture or pattern that appears on a computer screen when the mouse or keyboard has not been used for a specified period of time. Screen savers have the .scr file extension. This will show you how to setup, use, and change a screen saver in Vista.
logon.scr (default Windows Logo)
ssBranded.scr (Windows Energy)
ssText3d.scr (3D Text)
- Check your screen saver settings.
- For the Photos pictures screensaver, remove any videos from the selected folder to keep it from freezing.
- You may have downloaded a bad screen saver. Check by trying one that came with Vista above.
- The .SCR file (screensaver) was not installed in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. They sometimes get installed into the C:\Windows\SYSWOW32 or C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 folders by mistake instead.
- A wireless mouse or keyboard can cause this problem. For more on this, see: Microsoft Help and Support: KB911895 and Microsoft Help and Support: KB913405.
- How to Change Screen Saver Grace Period to Bypass Password Protection in Windows
- How to Change the Logon Screen Saver Wait Time in Vista
- How to Change the Logon Screen in Vista
- How to Enable the Hidden Aurora Boot Screen in Vista
- How to Change the Default Boot Screen in Vista SP1
- How to Change the Desktop Background Wallpaper in Vista
- How to Disable or Enable Password Protection on Wakeup in Vista
- How to Install and Use DreamScene in Vista
- How to Enhance Windows Vista DreamScene with Stardock DeskScapes
- How to Troubleshoot a Vista Sleep Mode Problem and Find a Solution
- How to Add or Remove the Screen Saver Option in Vista
- How to Specify a Default Screen Saver for Users in Vista
- How to Enable or Disable the Log On Screen Saver in Vista
- How to Changed the Return to Sleep Timeout for a Unattended Wake Up in Vista
- How to Customize the Vista Aurora Screen Saver Settings
- How to Customize the Vista Bubbles Screen Saver Settings
- How to Customize the Vista Mystify Screen Saver Settings
- How to Customize the Vista Ribbons Screen Saver Settings
- How to Enable or Disable Screen Savers in Windows 7 and Vista
- How to Add "Enable/Disable Screen Saver" to Desktop Context Menu