Settlers IV 'setup.exe' Not Working

NovaScotius

[Fixed] Settlers IV 'setup.exe' Not Working

Hello,

First post, so here's hoping I don't mess things up!

I recently found my old copy of Settlers 4, and really fancied installing it and having a play. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to install. When I insert the disk, it goes through some kind of Autorun and I'm presented with a Settlers 4 window which gives me the option to install, play single player, play multi player, view Blue Byte news, and to go to their website. Playing single and multi player are greyed out, as the game is not yet installed.

I then press the Install option, my CD drive spins up, I get the little blue loading circle next to the mouse for a few seconds... then nothing. The CD drive stops making any noise, and nothing happens.

I heard that Vista can sometimes be a little slow to open .exe files, so I left the computer alone for an hour and a half to see if anything changed. It didn't.

If I use the Task Manager, I can see that "setup.exe" is showing as running, drawing somewhere in the region of 1,800k memory (it alters on each attempt), and 0% CPU. If I press to install several times without restarting the computer or ending the initial setup.exe process, it shows "setup.exe" in the Task Manager a few times over, all with similar memory usage, and 0% CPU for them all.

I have attempted to run it in compatibility mode as XP Service Pack 2, and Windows 98/ME, with no success. I've also selected "Run as administrator".

I have even disabled Data Execution Prevention to attempt an install, without success. (I have re-enabled DEP since!).

I know the disk is working as I'm presented with the Autorun front screen giving me the option to choose to install, but it won't progress any further, so I'm convinced it's my computer.

The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron I6400 laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit (Service Pack 2). The processor is an Intel Pentium T2080 @ 1.73GHz and 1.73GHz. I don't think I have a dedicated graphics card, so the system borrows from the RAM, which is 2Gb.

I've tried everything I can think of, and can't find a solution. I'm not massively technically minded, hence me supplying every piece of information I can (Most of it is probably completely unnecessary!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks :)

Last edited:

My Computer

Try the following:

Completely uninstall the game.

Press the Windows Key + R

Type in the Run Command: msconfig

Click the Services tab

Check the Box entitled, "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Press "Disable All"

Apply

OK

Restart your computer.

Try re-installing.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Some Amount of Motherness
    Memory
    6.O GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA nVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Some Amount of Soundness
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Two Monitors: HP w1907 & Acer P191w
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 & 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    PSU
    Some Amount of Voltageness
    Case
    Hp Pavilion Elite Case
    Cooling
    Some Amount of Coolingness
    Keyboard
    HP: Model Number: KB0911
    Mouse
    HP: M/N:M-SBQ133
    Internet Speed
    Comcast: 20 MB/S
    Other Info
    I have two monitors! I play Call of Duty: Black Ops & Modern Warfare II - Both on PC. Contact me through my website: ChaseKurry.com
I bow to your vastly superior knowledge of Vista!

It even allowed me to install another old game which wasn't working.

Many thanks for your help, Chase.

One final thing, should I reactivate the things I disabled?

Thanks again :D

My Computer

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge of Vista!

It even allowed me to install another old game which wasn't working.

Many thanks for your help, Chase.

One final thing, should I reactivate the things I disabled?

Thanks again :D

No problem NovaScotius,

Yes, you should re-enable all services.

Those services include your basic security such as your anti-virus prgaram friewall, etc...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Some Amount of Motherness
    Memory
    6.O GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA nVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Some Amount of Soundness
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Two Monitors: HP w1907 & Acer P191w
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 & 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    PSU
    Some Amount of Voltageness
    Case
    Hp Pavilion Elite Case
    Cooling
    Some Amount of Coolingness
    Keyboard
    HP: Model Number: KB0911
    Mouse
    HP: M/N:M-SBQ133
    Internet Speed
    Comcast: 20 MB/S
    Other Info
    I have two monitors! I play Call of Duty: Black Ops & Modern Warfare II - Both on PC. Contact me through my website: ChaseKurry.com
I registered just to tell you many thanks, Chase, I had same problems and u helped me a lot. It worked on Windows 7 32bit after i disabled all services (no-windows) as you said.

(And hell i know i respond to 251 days old post :) - :party: Loves Google)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    GB
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
Hey. I,ve got the same problem only with windows 7. I knnow it was ages ago this was discussed but no1 seems 2 be able 2 help :S the same thing happened after i disabled everything. can u give any advice :S thanks!

My Computer

On Win 7 x64 Ultimate game works fine, except the minimap and some video options, which u cna fix with like 4-5 year odl drivers :D Select XP compatibility and it's fine, what prob u face ?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    GB
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
I stick the Game in my laptop, up comes the menu with the option of either install, or quit, with the grayed out single player and multi player. I click install, it comes up with the permission box. I click yes and then nothing happens. Either the Settlers menu disappears and nothing happens or the settlers menu stays and nothing happens. I've tried every compatibility option possible including XP service 2 and 3 and 95/ ME. I've tried running it as administrator and tried the above instructions. still with the same result. nothing. I've spent hours trying to get this stupid game 2 work!!! it was fine before i switched to Windows 7!!! :(

My Computer

Back