Short List of Utilities for Vista

Can't really see the point of what I consider to be extraneous programs, after all one good security suite plus Vista's enhanced security should be more than enough to protect your PC.

The only one I would consider is the Data recovery one, naturally you have to have graphics programs but that personal choice, mine are PaintShop Pro, and PhotoShop.

I've found that freeware while good for the simple things, don't have the full scope for much more intensive work.

Thanks for your feedback silver.

Some of the utilities are not free, for example, Windows Live OneCare. It does what Vista can't do from its native environment, such as virus scanning. In fact many of the short list programs do things Vista can't do, or do them better. One example would be the registry cleaners another would be the defrag tools (both registry and disk). Vista has many built in features, that's why so many of us like the OS. But there are many of us who want our systems fine tuned and running their best. Many of these utilities give us the tools to make Vista even better.

Best of luck to you in the future.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
Can't really see the point of what I consider to be extraneous programs, after all one good security suite plus Vista's enhanced security should be more than enough to protect your PC.

The only one I would consider is the Data recovery one, naturally you have to have graphics programs but that personal choice, mine are PaintShop Pro, and PhotoShop.

I've found that freeware while good for the simple things, don't have the full scope for much more intensive work.

Some of the utilities are not free, for example, Windows Live OneCare. It does what Vista can't do from its native environment, such as virus scanning. In fact many of the short list programs do things Vista can't do, or do them better. One example would be the registry cleaners another would be the defrag tools (both registry and disk). Vista has many built in features, that's why so many of us like the OS. But there are many of us who want our systems fine tuned and running their best. Many of these utilities give us the tools to make Vista even better.

after all one good security suite plus Vista's enhanced security should be more than enough to protect your PC.

Can do all thats required will fine tune your system, Live one Care isn't bad but lacks flexibility, Thats why I say one good Security Suite can take care of all your Spyware, Adware, Virus scans, backups, defragging, clearing all your surplus files.

My system is well tuned and doesn't need lots of extra programs cluttering up the system.

Whatever floats your boat anyway, I just like a clean slim system. HAND.

My Computer

after all one good security suite plus Vista's enhanced security should be more than enough to protect your PC.

Can do all thats required will fine tune your system, Live one Care isn't bad but lacks flexibility, Thats why I say one good Security Suite can take care of all your Spyware, Adware, Virus scans, backups, defragging, clearing all your surplus files.

My system is well tuned and doesn't need lots of extra programs cluttering up the system.

Whatever floats your boat anyway, I just like a clean slim system. HAND.

Silver,

It sounds like you've found an all in one program. Please share with the membership, what single program does "Spyware, Adware, Virus scans, backups, defragging, clearing all your surplus files.", besides Windows Live OneCare? And even Microsoft's security suite doesn't clean up or defrag the registry. So knowing what program you're using that does all these things would be good information.

If it's a good enough program, I'll be happy to add it to the short list.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
Its not free, I swear by Norton 360, I've found very few come close to it for efficiency and lack of interference, a very light footprint I think says it all.

My Computer

Its not free, I swear by Norton 360, I've found very few come close to it for efficiency and lack of interference, a very light footprint I think says it all.

Thanks for the recommendation Silver. If you'd like I can add this program to the short list, with a recommended by Silver tag. I've also heard other good things about 360 as well. Just let me know if you'd like me to add it.

Best wishes,

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB

Thanks to Silver for the recommendation. Norton 360 has been added to the short list. Which is becoming not so short :p

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
Spybot search and destroy works on both 32 and 64 bit vista. I only run it once a week but it does its job well.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
Tried a trial of advanced windows care pro...and ran it...created a bunch of problems cleaning up things it should not have touched...like toolbar icons became inactive....uninstalled and ran a system restore to get rid of it...fortunately all back to normal.

My Computer

I'm using CCleaner for my registry errors; Are there any good free Registry cleaners?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD x64 +4400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    2G
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT6600
    Hard Drives
    300Gx2

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E8400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB (4x2GB) 5-5-5-18
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 600MHz
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar 640GB WD6400AAKS X 2
Anything like Crucial Memory Mechanic that is x64 compatible?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Motherboard
    NodusM3
    Memory
    2560 MB DDR2 @ 257.7 MHz @ 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card(s)
    KFA2 GeForce 8500GT 500/400/1K
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 250GB SATA 7200RPM
I'm using CCleaner for my registry errors; Are there any good free Registry cleaners?

I noticed Wise Registry Cleaner recommended on this board so I'm trying it out on my old XP machine first. Also ran the Wise Disk Cleaner from the same people. So far my XP machine still boots and seems normal. After a couple of days if nothing blows up I'll try it on my 32 bit Vista machine. Just for grins I ran CCleaner registry issues thing after rebooting and it only found a few items. Wise Registry Cleaner had some marked as not safe to fix, but I guess CCleaner just went ahead and fixed 'em!! :) It claims to have an Undo for the Registry cleaner so as long as you can boot then you should be able to reverse it. My impression is that it didn't do any damage. I'm just waiting as a precaution.

Edit: Just as a follow-up, after installing Wyzo browser, then removing it with ZSoft uninstaller(via analysis/removal) I was unable to complete system restores using restore points I made before Wyzo install. I'm not sure if it's Wyzo or Wise Registry Cleaner, but I notice another bad comment about it here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-registry-cleaner.htm

Fortunately I had a system snapshot only one day old to put back on my XP machine. Guess I'll get wise and stay away from stuff with wize, or wise, or wyze in the name for awhile!! :)

I did notice that when I analyzed the install with Zsoft it showed a lot of registry changes so it may have been the Wyzo browser download. But I'm goin' back to stuff I've used for awhile, like CCleaner.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
Hi Folks. I'm running Vista 64 bit Sp1 and I think it is absolutely superb. I'm using Kaspersky Security Suite 7 which costs about 30 GBP. As I still have a few months to run on my licence I've been able to upgrade to verion 8 for nothing.
I think that Vista 64 is naturally more secure then XP but I can't fault Kaspersky. I still have Spybot S&D and Adaware and I run them every couple of weeks. They rarely find anything and when they do it is something that is not much of a threat.
I also use CCleaner, Auslogics defrag and Ashampoo Winoptmimizer and am pleased with the result.
Maybe this is overkill but my system runs like a rocket and I've not had any problems that weren't my own fault for almost a year now so I would definitely recommend Kaspersky. I know it's not free but it's cheaper than some competitors and works great.

Cheers to you all, John:)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    custom build
    CPU
    Q6600 OCd to 3.06GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Corsair 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell Utrasharp 2408WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
    1x Samsung F1 1TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 650 watt
    Case
    Coolermaster Cosmos S
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120 + 3x120mm + 200m side fan
    Keyboard
    logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Roccat Kone
    Internet Speed
    supposedly 8mbps actually about 4 or 5
    Other Info
    love this mouse
I'd like to add Glary Utilities. Does System Registry cleanup, fixes shortcuts, cleans temp folders out, etc. Seems to work well. I use it on both XP and Vista.

Also, I'd add Avast anti-virus software. I like it better than AVG (Have used both). With AVG , I have had problems getting it to install on my Vista Utimate pc, while Avast just loaded and works.

My Computer

Hi Folks. I'm running Vista 64 bit Sp1 and I think it is absolutely superb. I'm using Kaspersky Security Suite 7 which costs about 30 GBP. As I still have a few months to run on my licence I've been able to upgrade to verion 8 for nothing.
I think that Vista 64 is naturally more secure then XP but I can't fault Kaspersky. I still have Spybot S&D and Adaware and I run them every couple of weeks. They rarely find anything and when they do it is something that is not much of a threat.
I also use CCleaner, Auslogics defrag and Ashampoo Winoptmimizer and am pleased with the result.
Maybe this is overkill but my system runs like a rocket and I've not had any problems that weren't my own fault for almost a year now so I would definitely recommend Kaspersky. I know it's not free but it's cheaper than some competitors and works great.

Cheers to you all, John:)

Avast do a 64bit virus checker and it is free. I use this and it is not a resource hog like some others (not kasperkey).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
Hey Joe,

you mention you've removed spyware doctor because it now only removes spyware if you purchase it? Well....that's only sort of true. If you go to pack.google.com and download spyware doctor through them, you get the fully functioning version, but for free.

Only downside? It does not work with the 64bit version of vista yet.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5K Pro
    Memory
    2 times 2GB Kingston (paired) DDR2 PC 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600GT 512MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 226 CW
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    74GB 10.000 rpm WD raptor
    750 GB Samsung F1
    750 GB Samsung F1
    2 WD 500 GB drives
    PSU
    Recom Power Engine 600 Watt
    Case
    Apevia X-cruiser Blue
    Cooling
    Auras CTC-868 CPU cooler; 7 Zalman 120mm, 1 Papst casesooler
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless trackball
    Internet Speed
    50 mbit synchronous fibreglass connection
Actually, that is mentioned on the Spyware Doctor's web page:

Spyware Doctor Full Version Information

Current Version:6.0.0.362 File Size:13,244 KB Operating System:Designed for Windows® Vista™ 32-bit, XP and 2000. Windows® 98 users click here. Release Date:July 21, 2008 Protection Against:Spyware, Adware, Spyware Trojans, Keyloggers, Identity Theft, Hijackers, Tracking Threats, Rogue Anti-Spyware, Unwanted Software, Phishing, Popups and Bad Websites. Trial Limitations:The trial offers time unlimited real-time protection (free spyware blocking), but does not remove threats detected during on-demand scans, updates may also differ to those supplied to registered users. Starter Edition:The Starter Edition offers full scan and removal of threats, and basic real-time protection, is available for free as part of the Google Pack.

And you can also download *just* the starter edition from C|Net: Spyware Doctor Starter Edition - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

The starter edition is NOT the full edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD