Single Click option

ByLine
How to Single Click to Open an Item in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to open a item with a single click instead of the default double click in Vista.
How to Single Click to Open an Item in Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to open a item with a single click instead of the default double click in Vista.
Note   Note
This works with XP also and some already know this but once you change from double click to single you will never go back. ;)

Here's How:
1. Open Folder Options.​
2. For a Single Click
NOTE: With Single Click, hovering the mouse pointer over a item (Ex: file or folder) will select it.​
A) Dot Single-click to open an item (point to select).​
B) Go to step 4.​

3. For a Double Click
NOTE: With Double Click, you will need to click once on the item (Ex: file or folder) to select it.​
A) Dot Double-click to open an item (single-click to select).​

4. Click on OK.​
SingleClick.jpg

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

The drawbacks to single click (well spoken tut btw)

1-lag before file or folder is opened (increase double click speed to help, but good luck performing a double click in an actual application.)

2-Things get selected accidentally, especially when making ctrl+clicks (imo, holding the ctrl key should automatically switch things over to single click mode.)

2.1-With the Save as dialog box, files can sometimes get clicked and you have to manually rename the file to it's default name.

3-Renaming files and folders is less convienient (F2 if your hand is near by)

4-Setting focus to a file in a window that is not active requires a middle click and a hover. (I usually end up left clicking the title bar instead of mid-click cause that button is easier.)

5-Waiting for the mouse hover is SOOO boring. (edit: just found http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/203607-mouse-hover-time-change.html)

I haven't switched back cause of hand problems but I have concidered hotkeying a toggle between single and double mode (I do batches of task 2, 3, 4 and 5 periodically). Does anyone know how to set up that hotkey by any chance?

Last edited:
The drawbacks to single click (well spoken tut btw)

1-lag before file or folder is opened (increase double click speed to help, but good luck performing a double click in an actual application.)

2-Things get selected accidentally, especially when making ctrl+clicks (imo, holding the ctrl key should automatically switch things over to single click mode.)

2.1-With the Save as dialog box, files can sometimes get clicked and you have to manually rename the file to it's default name.

3-Renaming files and folders is less convienient (F2 if your hand is near by)

4-Setting focus to a file in a window that is not active requires a middle click and a hover. (I usually end up left clicking the title bar instead of mid-click cause that button is easier.)

5-Waiting for the mouse hover is SOOO boring. (edit: just found http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/203607-mouse-hover-time-change.html)

I haven't switched back cause of hand problems but I have concidered hotkeying a toggle between single and double mode (I do batches of task 2, 3, 4 and 5 periodically). Does anyone know how to set up that hotkey by any chance?
Some good points. I would add
6) I don't know how many times I tried to set the check mark on a desktop icon, such as a file saved to desktop, and it opened instead of checking the box.

But I do single click since double click has its own hazards. I did double click for so long I just had to get away from it.. at least for awhile. :)

afa hotkey to change the setting, try AutoHotKey. You can do simulated keystrokes and mouse clicks very easily. It's a free Windows scripting language:

AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program with Hotkeys and AutoText

there's also a forum to ask for help and peruse example scripts.