single monitor stuck in dual monitor setting

oldwing

Banned
i have only one monitor, and somehow it is being treat as though its the secondary monitor in a dual monitor set up.

i cannot view my start menu, or view any programs being opened, as when i try to open them, they presumeably open on the phantom primary monitor.

even when i try to open display settings, i cannot see the box.

i am able to move my mouse to the left border of the screen and move it off into oblivion, and occasionally drag random folders and short cuts over to view.

if anyone can walk me through how to fix this (im not very good with computers, beyond playing games :( it would be appreciated.

im on my gf's mac right now to write this post, as my pc cant do anything at the moment.

thanks

My Computer

just wanted to add, when i go into safemode to try to change the settings from there, there is no monitor alternative to choose, and it is stuck in default. ive read here and there, that safe mode is where need to go to change this back to a single monitor, or at least choose your monitor as the primary, but i dont know if there are no options

My Computer

why was this moved to graphics card? this has nothing to do with graphics cards. i am unable to open anything on my computer, as it opens on a non existent moniter, as indicated in my OP and post name.

i need advice on how to deactivate the dual monitor function on my comp, not check the registry (which i would be unable to do in my current problem, as it would open on a screen that doesent exist.)

My Computer

Is the task bar on the bit of the screen you can see?
I will presume so for the sake of this tutorial.
Click on the application you want to move to the part of the screen you can see and make sure it is selected on the task bar (I would recommend Control Panel to fix this problem).
Press alt+space, then press M.
Now use the arrow keys to move that Window from where you can't see it to where you can.
In CP search for 'adjust screen resolution' and click on the appropriate result.
Does it say that you still have 2 monitors connected?
Fiddle around with the settings on this page and post back soon(if possible with a screen shot).

Hope this is of some use.

Oli

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Apple MacBook, 5,1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9400m
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.3" Apple MacBook LCD Screen + 22" HannsG DVI LCD + 21.5" Samsung USB Lapfit Monitor LD220
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 + 1920x1080 + 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SATA Internal 2.5" 500GB (305GB HFS+, 195GB NTFS)
    External USB 3.5" 1TB (HFS+)
    Case
    Aluminium Unibody
    Keyboard
    Apple Late 2009 Wireless Keyboard (US)
    Mouse
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Internet Speed
    6.33Mb/s up. 0.36Mb/s down.
    Other Info
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks II Speakers
negative, the task bar is not visible. i have tried the alt+space and M, and then arrow keys, but i have no way of knowing if the box is actually moving towards my view. i am able to right click on the desktop background, and then choose personalize, but when i click on display settings, nothing pops up. im only assuming its appearing on the phantom primary screen. but, no, the task bar unobtainable, unless i randomly click on it when ive put my cursor off the screen

i will attempt the "Adjust Screen Resolution" search, but im worried, that that box will open on the hidden side as well.

thanks for the advice, hope it works :)

i wish there was a hard command to switch monitors. this problem seems like such a simple boneheaded mistake, that there should an easy fix to swap my view...

My Computer

Can you right click onto the desktop?

If so, try this...

Right Click > Personalize > Display Settings > Check the box "This is my main monitor." uncheck "Extend desktop onto this monitor."

and do you have an Acer Laptop?

ADD: Try to connect the computer to 2 monitors. and see if you can see your task bar. It seems like this is whats going on...

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
i do not have two monitors, nor am i using a laptop. the only other comp i have access to in that location, is my GF's mac, which i do not think would be compatible if i tried to have it recognized as the other monitor.

like i said, when i try to open "display settings", it assumedly opens on the phantom other monitor, so i am unable to alter any of the settings.

My Computer

I'm sure a Mac monitor would work with that computer. A monitor is a monitor. The computer just needs to have the proper jack for it to plug in.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
hrm i dont know...im not sure that a Mac laptop would be able to hook into a PC... and what would happen to all my girlfriends laptop contents?

i wish i knew more about computers. i think half of my issue here is in not being able to articulate the problem correctly.

My Computer

Just as a last resort open up your PC and remove the VGA/DVI connectio to the Mother Board/ GPU temporarily. Try this but make sure your PC is turned off while doing this, please use common sense while doing this.

Oli

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Apple MacBook, 5,1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9400m
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.3" Apple MacBook LCD Screen + 22" HannsG DVI LCD + 21.5" Samsung USB Lapfit Monitor LD220
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Aluminium Unibody
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Just as a last resort open up your PC and remove the VGA/DVI connectio to the Mother Board/ GPU temporarily. Try this but make sure your PC is turned off while doing this, please use common sense while doing this.

Oli

while i certainly think the way this sounds effective, i have to admit i have no idea what you mean.

this is a bit beyond my skill level. would this initiate some kind of reset for my settings? at this point, should i hand my tower off to a shop for a pro to do up. i have no doubt that someone who actually knows their way around a comp could prolly fix this in a matter of seconds. i was hoping this would be one of those impenetrable obstacles that would end up raising the bar for my personal know-how and experience, but, unless i figure out, at the general arena of search, i think im going to have to pay someone to fixer up.

if your above advice is simpler than im taking it to be (ie somthing a crosseyed baby monkey could do) i think its best if i keep my grubby paws away from my motherboard/GPU/inside of my computer.

My Computer

Oli

while i certainly think the way this sounds effective, i have to admit i have no idea what you mean.

this is a bit beyond my skill level. would this initiate some kind of reset for my settings? at this point, should i hand my tower off to a shop for a pro to do up. i have no doubt that someone who actually knows their way around a comp could prolly fix this in a matter of seconds. i was hoping this would be one of those impenetrable obstacles that would end up raising the bar for my personal know-how and experience, but, unless i figure out, at the general arena of search, i think im going to have to pay someone to fixer up.

if your above advice is simpler than im taking it to be (ie somthing a crosseyed baby monkey could do) i think its best if i keep my grubby paws away from my motherboard/GPU/inside of my computer.

This sort of thing really relies on you being cofident enough to take the case off your PC (which can be a challenge in its self) and remove and put back a couple of fairly bulky components.
I will warn you that opening up your PC may void it's waranty if it still has one.
The first time I took a PC apart I couldn't get the floppy drive back in (no big loss really ;) ).

I have been in similar circumstances to you when my laptop's screen shattered, it still recognised it even though nothing ever happened on it; in the end I disected my laptop and unplugged the internal VGA connection; it now runs on my TV.

Depending on how well designed your PC's inerds are it's usually fairly easy to locate the wire that goes from the VGA/DVI ports on the back to the GPU/MB inside.
This DOES NOT require you to remove your GPU/MB just a wire or two connected to it.

So as a round up all you have to do is:
remove case;
trace wire from unused VGA/DVI to source on MB/GPU;
unplug wire,
turn on PC (after putting case back on for safety reasons),
see what happens

please post with any queries before trying this if you intend to do so.

Oli

PS Just one last thought, try plugging your current monitor into the othe VGA/DVI port on the back of your PC.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Apple MacBook, 5,1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9400m
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Aluminium Unibody
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
i appreciate the suggestion, but im not altogether sure what the objective would be, let alone what wires go to what.

i think im gonna have to take it into the shop. ive been all through my CP, and any promising leads just seem to open on the other screen (if they are opening at all, even task manager wont open in my view) though there are some boxes that WILL open, like the box to change my wallpaper. i find this strange and suspicious, as though it could all be some virus, but i tend to think all of my comp difficulties are viruses, just in case. i have norton 2010 running, so i honestly dont think its a virus...but you never know.

if i can make heads or tales of what the comp shop people say if/when they fix it, ill try to post it here accurately.

ty for all the support. thanks especially for patience with my grinding inability to articulate anything :o

My Computer

Hi,

I think the best thing to do would be to download a Linux Live CD. This will show us if it is a problem with the hardware or software/drivers. I would not recommend changing any wires on the inside of you PC. This will not solve the problem, will have a similar effect as putting the VGA cable into the other port, will almost certainly go wrong, and your computer may not boot because severing the link to the primary graphics output will be counted as a serious hardware defect.

EDIT: This will also allow you to back up data if it works, which I assume it will.

Richard

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Damn why didn't I think of that, thanks Niemiro.
To download a Linux live CD go to Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu and follow the instructions it gives you (if you are doing this on a MacBook the easiest way to do this is to download the the ISO and mount it on your desktop by double clicking on it. Now go into disk utilities and highlight the ISO on the left of the Window, now click the big burn button at the top of the window and follow what it says to do).

Once you have burnt it to a CD, pop it in the drive; go into boot options while your PC is starting up (this varies from PC to PC but is most likely accessed by pressing F8 or delete during startup) and select the Live CD.
You will be faced with some self explanatory screens after the CD loads, YOU DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL but instead just fun Linux from the CD.
After this you will be shown the Linux Live CDs desktop. Search around through the menus at the top until you find something that looks like it will tell you about your systems hardware (sorry this is rather vague haven't used live CD in a while).

Please post back with your results.

@Niemiro just to clarify I did not mean to rewire anything, I simply meant to unplug and replug the connection to make sure it was making complete contact etc. in hind site this sounds like a much better and safer idea though.
When I said " Just one last thought, try plugging your current monitor into the othe VGA/DVI port on the back of your PC." I actually meant on the ports on the back of the PC not the internal connections.

Oli

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Apple MacBook, 5,1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9400m
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Aluminium Unibody
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
why was this moved to graphics card? this has nothing to do with graphics cards. i am unable to open anything on my computer, as it opens on a non existent moniter, as indicated in my OP and post name.

i need advice on how to deactivate the dual monitor function on my comp, not check the registry (which i would be unable to do in my current problem, as it would open on a screen that doesent exist.)

This was moved to graphics card, because a traditional dual montor setup requires a dual monitor graphics card, and for your computer to even have a dual monitor option, you need a dual monitor graphics card (the graphics card with 2 vga/dvi/hdmi/s ports.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp pavillion a6110n
    CPU
    amd athlon 64 x2 live! 4400+
    Memory
    4 gigs 3.3 useable
    Graphics Card(s)
    Finally! SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 12
    Monitor(s) Displays
    generic pnp monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    7.2k rpm
    1 linux ubuntu partition
    1 vista partition
    1recovery partition
    1 windows 7 partition
    1linux swap partition
    PSU
    500W, antc earthwatts EA500
    Case
    normal black case
    Cooling
    fans
    Keyboard
    saitek cyborg gaming keyboard
    Mouse
    logitech mouse (small to fit hand perfectly)
    Internet Speed
    dsl
    Other Info
    2.3 ghz amd
hi , if you havnt solved the problem ty this,
boot into safemode, download and install this driver cleaner
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com
then uninstall the video card, use the tool and reboot, it should remove the drivers and settings. reboot and reinstall up to date drivers for the card.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    home brews
    Motherboard
    pc1 msi k7delta, pc2 asus kn79txd evo
    Memory
    pc1 2gb crucial, pc2 4gb gskill ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    pc1 bfg 7800gs, pc2 shapphire 5770 vapor-x
    Sound Card
    onboard
    PSU
    corsair hx
    Case
    jeantech phong
    Cooling
    pc1, handmade waterblocks,passive cooling, pc2 corsair h50
    Mouse
    logictech mx510s wired
Hi I had the same problem Thsi worked for me just got into safe mode and remove the graphic drivers under display adapter in the device manager .When the computer restarts it loads default drivers .Then you can install later drivers if tyou wish .This fixed the problem for me any way Hope that helps

My Computer

Hello oldwing,
If this is still not fixed, can you please provide your system specs for the faulty machine, thanks.
I cant believe we are trying to fix something and we don't even know what it is. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)