Solved Slipstreaming Vista SP2

PAB

Good morning,

I am going to be playing around with creating a customised ISO installation with a couple of different pieces of software (I have a Vista SP1 disc).
I want to slipstream SP2 into the installation ISO.
I will then test this using VirtualBox.
I have downloaded the relevant programs needed for this such as WAIK, DISM, Win ToolKit, vLite, nLite, SP2 standalone from Microsoft (Windows6.0-KB948465-x86.exe), 7-Zip, VirtualBox and the VirtualBox extension.

Some questions please:

(1) Can I include the SP2 directly into the customisation or do I have to download certain updates first and slipstream them?
(2) The SP2 standalone apparently comes with FIVE language packs, can I remove the language packs I don't need (i.e. French, German, Japanese, Spanish) during the customisation or will it ONLY install English?
(3) If I include the I.E.9 update (before the SP2 update) into the slipstream will that work or will I have to install the update seperately?
(4) Am I right in saying that if I slipstream SP2 I can also slipstream the following updates after the SP2 update to slipstream (so I can run Windows Update without it hanging)?:

KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016)
KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017)
KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017)
KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017)

I.E.9 KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) - Do I need this if I included the I.E.9 in the slipstream?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

My Computer

You can apply SP2 as you would apply any other update package to offline image using DISM.

Adding packages: Add or Remove Packages Offline

Only the language required (language of original install image) will be applied from SP2, don't worry about additional languages. IE9 updates will not cause any issues, regardless at which point you apply them.

Yes, you can apply all thos updates to Windows image without issues.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv7-1199 Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LCD and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1440*900, 1600*1050 and 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2*Toshiba 320 GB MK3252GSX ATA,
    External: 1TB for backups, 1TB network drive for media
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Other Info
    Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Full in English, additional Guest-user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish (Working languages English & Swedish, Family language German, my own language, mother tongue, Finnish. I really need Ultimate to get to use Language Packs!)
Thanks Kari, very useful.

I am going to be doing this on my old Vista Ultimate machine and it appears that DISM will not work on Vista.
Anyway, I will try and use one of the other pieces of software (Win ToolKit, vLite, nLite) to achieve this.

Thanks again.

EDIT: BTW, the SP2 is an .EXE file.

Last edited:

My Computer

I tried to slipstream Windows Vista SP2 into my Windows Vista SP1 ISO this morning using Win TooKit and it wouldn't even show the .exe file, so no luck using that. I couldn't find a .cab or .msu (which Win ToolKit recognises) online for Windows Vista SP2 so I assume M$ didn't release one?

My Computer

You can't integrate SP2 using any of those tools.
The only way is to install vista, and run the exe in audit mode, generalise, then capture into a wim.

Alternatively, just get a vista .iso that already includes SP2.
What language and bit version do you need ?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks SIW2 for the reply.

I am using English and Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.
I did look online and didn't manage to find a Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 ISO because it said that M$ didn't supply one.
What software could I use then to take out different components etc to make a customised ISO installation please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

My Computer

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory