Slow file copying/speeds fixed?

dmex

ɠɛɐǨ
Vista Guru
Gold Member
My adventures with vista have been quite entertaining and I would like some feedback about one solution I have seen many attempts to fix in all the wrong places about the slow copying of files between drives and networks...

Goto Control Panel and open "Programs and Features" then click "Turn Windows Features on or off" (found on the left) then scroll down and untick "Windows DFS replication service" then click OK and Reboot.

For myself file operations are instantly increased to maximum speed between hard-drives and over the network, I just need it confirmed before I move on to the next problem.

Please post your results.

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hi dmex,

I can confirm this. That's one of the first things I did after setting up Vista. I noticed the performance boost. However, for transfers performance increases on your hard drive to say your cd/dvd drive and etc. have you tried step 1 at this link? The other steps help to some, but not like the 1st one. I found it to instantly increase the flow rate by a noticable difference.

http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/59886-how-boost-hard-drive-speed.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

P.S.
Here's a link for more info. on DFS that might help you.

http://itsvista.com/2007/04/dfs-replication/

dmex

ɠɛɐǨ
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Yes I have enabled the hardrive cache for some drives, Im surprised im finding more and more settings for performance options hidden away, its like server 2003 in lockdown mode. I do not like how microsoft is using one vista image that is configured for every last computer and not your type specifically. There are too many conflicts for one configuration image.

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Yeah I know. I wish they at least had a menu where you could select what you want or not. Please post any other performance options you find to help others to.

Regards,
Shawn

dmex

ɠɛɐǨ
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Vista has another bug affecting nearly everyone and I cant figure out how to switch from PIO mode to UDMA/DMA modes on sata/raid drives.
SATA drives are left in PIO mode quite frequently and there is no documemtation about where or how I can get vista to try redetect the values.

The link below shows the config available to enable DMA for IDE drives, the problem is Vista will sometimes detect SATA/RAID with raid enabled when it isnt then places the devices under "Storage Controllers" in device manager with forced PIO mode untill you manually install the device as IDE-SATA.
Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power - View Single Post - Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

dmex

ɠɛɐǨ
Vista Guru
Gold Member
It was the nvidia drivers, they have zero support for things like DMA and hot-swaping at this time, I found some dell drivers to enable DMA. Its anoying since these companys have had over a year to get development going from when microsoft finalised the driver framework in the first CTP untill now and they lack heaps of support. I really fear they dont want to make full feature driver sets untill SP1 for vista comes out :(