slow file transfer between vista machines

sillygit

Hi All,
Firstly, what a great site. Lots of useful tips and tricks and very helpful! :)

Anyway, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't get decent file transfer speeds between my two Vista machines (Home Premium x64 SP1 and Ultimate 32bit SP1). If I attempt to transer a 1GB file between the two Vista machines I get about 14MB/s, however if I transfer the same file between either of those machines and my Mac laptop it get about 40MB/s.

So far I've tried the following to no affect:

• the steps mentioned in the Window Auto Tuning tutorial but it didn't seem to help.
  • tried transfering the file between the two Vista machines using FileZilla (a free FTP server) and that showed the same slow network speeds.
  • changed over the network cables to brand new CAT6 cables but that didn't help.
Does anyone have ideas or hints?

My Computer

Tried a few more things with no success:

• disabled IPV6 by unchecking the Internet Protocol Version 6 checkbox.
  • reduced the MTU size to 1462 (although I didn't get the fragmentation messages until I disabled IPV6)
  • reverted to SMB2 (although I couldn't see how that would make a difference as FTP is as slow the SMB).

My Computer

OK, well, I've 'fixed' it. I don't really know what I did but now I'm getting 80MB/s (:shock:) between the Vista machines...

As far as I can tell the only thing that's different is where the USB keyboard and mouse are plugged in. They were plugged in just under the network connection and they are now plugged in a few cm away...

EDIT: also, the Mac transfer speeds appear to have been misleading. I noticed on further inspection that it was fluctuating between 15MB/s and 30MB/s but only spiking briefly to the 30MB/s...

My Computer

Well glad you solved your problem, lol

Alex Gower

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Slimline s3300f PC
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Hard Drives
    500 gigs
Arg! It's back to 15MB/s :cry:

What the hell is going on!? I've tried turning off all the devices in the house to make sure it's not interference but that didn't seem to help. :(

I've noticed a few times that my "Local Area Connection" only reports a speed of 100 Mbps. It's currently reporting 1 Gbps but still only transferring at around 100 Mbps... Going to try another NIC tomorrow to see if that helps...

Last edited:

My Computer

OK, some more info just in case someone can help me out.

I can copy from the Home Premium (x64) machine to the Ultimate (32 bit) machine at 80MB/s, but the other way around (Ultimate to Premium) only goes at 13-15MB/s...

My Computer

Right, it seems to be working both directions now. I ended up trying the instructions listed on this page:
NVIDIA Forums > Vista: Gigabit isn't!

Fire up Registry Editor and navigate your way down to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Services\Audiosrv

Once there find STRING called DependOnService. Right-click on this entry and choose Modify � and then from the Value data remove MMCSS. Click OK, close the Registry Editor and reboot your PC. Next, go into Services (the quickest way to get to this is to type services into the Start Search box and click on the entry that appears) and then find the Multimedia Class Scheduler service. Once found, right-click on it and Properties and change the Startup type from Automatic to Disabled. Click OK and then reboot.

I'm scared to walk away from the computer just in case it stops working again...

My Computer

Back