Slow incoming but fast outgoing network transfer

HiroNakamura

Hi!

I got a strange problem. When I try to transfer file from my Vista machine to Server 2008 Beta, speed is at about 45MB/s, but when I try to transfer files from Server 2008 Beta to my computer, speeds hang at about 10MB/s. :confused:

I got a gigabit network throughout my home and file transfer never seemed to be a problem. I admit it was a bit faster in XP on same hardware than in Vista, but I resolved that problem using some tutorials here. My network speed was always in region 40-50MB/s (outgoing and incoming).

However, my SATA 2 disks in my computer were transferring files from one to another in region 45-55MB/s. The computer I'm usually transfering files from has Server 2008 Beta installed on IDE disks. But my computer has SATA disks and in XP I had disk to disk transfers at 70MB/s. So I tried to fix that issue with Microsoft, but couldn't. Now I've done something that didn't end up speeding up
disk to disk transfer, but slowing down incoming network transfers :cry:

Now I got the same disk to disk transfer speeds, fast outgoing network transfers but slow incoming network transfers.

I checked QoS Bandwidth Reserve Limit which I was changing at some point, but I reverted it back to original settings. I also checked TCP/IP Auto Tuning and disabled it (as it was disabled before the slowdown).. I know I tried some tutorials from here : http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-performance-vista.html
namely speeding up menu pop out delays (now reverted back to default), speed up shutdown time,.. I don't know where I've gone wrong, but I can't get my network back to normal. If anyone has any idea or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

My Computer

One thing more. If I copy a file through network, the transfer is constant, but slow. If I watch something over the network, I get transfers like this (graph showing network time frame load):
netwtr.jpg
If I watched something over the net I always got a linear network transfer, but now it's jumpy :( It doesn't affect watching the video, but I think it might help solve my problem.

My Computer

Hi HiroNakamura!

Hmm this kinda sounds like maybe the gigabite switch is not in full duplexe mode or the network card on vista machine/server is not in full duplexe mode. Hmm tough one here.

Raj

My Computer

Back