slow network connect time

ron6962

I have two wireless PCs, one is a laptop with Vista 32bit and the other a desktop with Vista 64bit. Otherwise they are configured with all the same software. The Vista 32bit PC connects to the wireless network in 5-10 seconds at start-up. The Vista 64bit takes nearly two minutes to connect to the network at start-up, from the time the network icon appears with the red X to the time it shows connection and the red X disappears. After they are connected to the network, both run normally. I have searched the net and found several issues relating to slow internet speed with Vista 64bit, but nothing addressing the initial network connect time. Any ideas what may be causing the difference? I have verified drivers are up to date, and compared all the network properties settings between the two systems. So far, no idea why the 64bit system takes so long to connect to my network. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

My Computer

Hi ron and welcome to the forums.

I had the exact same problem until last week when I re-built my desktop computer and installed Vista x64 instead of x86. I also struggle with that for many many months to the point of just learning to live with it. What I did remember is that there were several apps and services that had a "delayed start" (check your services and also type msconfig at the "Run" box). I bet my problem was the network disk that couldn't be found no more (I unplugged my old-old system months ago from the network). After the "One or more devices could not be found in your network" bubble/message, the "X" turned into a little world and had no more problems.

Try installing the TuneUp Utilities 2009 and running EVERY tool in there. It should fix it.

Cheers,

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom-Built Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC to 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i Triple SLi
    Memory
    8GB (4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2-1066 / PC2-8500 / Platinum Series)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI nVidia GTX 295 SLi
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x ViewSonic VA2216w
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 each
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 750GB / 32MB / 7.200 RPM)
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR2 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake V9
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Mini Typhoon
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    1 mb/s
Thank you for the reply. I will compare the MSCONFIG SERVICES in both the Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit systems and see if there is any difference.

My Computer

Back