Some Solutions for an Admin to control user access permissions

Raj Kumar Arora

Hi,

I am new user to the Windows Vista Home premium. My laptop is being shared with some family children. I given them the Standard User Account and applied various security policies regarding their computer usage.

But I need help regarding the following:-
1. How can I restrict a Standard User from using Removable Media like CD, DVD, USB.
2. How can I disable "Delete Browsing History" or "Internet Options" for the internet explorer for a standard user.

Kindly help me in this regard ASAP. I have searched on net but nothing fruitful can be done even on changing Registry.

Regards,
Raj Kumar Arora

My Computer

All of these apply to all users.
The Only way to do it is to disable the optical drive/usb under device manager, and disable internet options/menu options (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus) .

This has to be done through the admin account/ and will affect ALL accounts. This would be a tedious task to perform every time the admin/standard user wanted to log on/off. You would be better off dual booting two Operating Systems- and letting the kids use the newly added restricted one.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
Thanks for your quick response. But sorry to say that to disable the internet options dialog box from opening all what you told requires to add group policy, which unfortunately is not available in Vista Premium. (Ref:).

So pls find any alternative for that. For the first query, disabling the drive in Device manager is the bad alternative as I am thinking to do that for only selected users. I will be in a better position if we can find any alternative way to do that too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Only way to do it is to disable the optical drive/usb under device manager, and [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/gp/755.mspx?mfr=true"]disable internet options/menu options
(User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus) .
...added restricted one.

My Computer

Thanks for your quick response. But sorry to say that to disable the internet options dialog box from opening all what you told requires to add group policy, which unfortunately is not available in Vista Premium. (Ref:).

So pls find any alternative for that. For the first query, disabling the drive in Device manager is the bad alternative as I am thinking to do that for only selected users. I will be in a better position if we can find any alternative way to do that too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Only way to do it is to disable the optical drive/usb under device manager, and [URL="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/gp/755.mspx?mfr=true"]disable internet options/menu options
(User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus) .
...added restricted one.

Hi Raj,

There are registry options available todo each of the things you asked, I will look them up for you a bit later :o

Steven

My Computer

...added restricted one.

Hi Raj,

There are registry options available todo each of the things you asked, I will look them up for you a bit later :o

Steven

To add to all above, please also try to find out the ways to Disable Folder Options for standard user. I am also trying for the same and I will post if I could reach to solution.
Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,
Raj Kumar Arora

My Computer

Back