Solved Sony Vaio Recovery CD's

Stunner21

Hello All,

I'm having a difficult time restoring my computer to its factory settings. I already backed up most of my important information on a # of DVD discs. I just can't get Windows Vista (32) to re-install. I tried pressing F-10 when the computer starts and Launch the Vaio Recovery. It went through most of the reset but then the screen just goes blank for a very long time and I'm sure its frozen there.
The computer I am trying to reset to factory settings is a Sony Vaio Desktop VGC-LT18E, the model it says on the back of the computer is a PCG-281L.
BTW, I never made the recovery discs. Is there any other way to get these discs without ordering them through SONY? Online versions? Etc..?

Thank you all for your help.

-Brandon

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VGC-LT18E All-in-One Desktop
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce8400M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Xbrite
Tried burning the ISO, then changed boot order to load Floppy first.. after trying to load it gives me an error prompt,
"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "Ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"

I just want to be able to restore this computer to its factory settings. Is it fair to assume, that if I re-installed using a general Vista disc that it would lose all my Sony Hardware? or would it automatically find and update it?

I ordered the discs from Sony's parts department it was $28 total, not a terrible amount, but its going to take 3-4 weeks and it seems like its just ripping me off. Why should I have to pay for a re-install that I already purchased?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce8400M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Xbrite
1st the cd/dvd drive should be listed to the 1st boot order.. and there should be a "repair" option...
and yes it is safe to assume that if you use the discs (even from sony) you may lose sony components... but if sony is like acer you can get them back through there site!

What discs did you order from sony? recovery (thats the same one as neosmart)...good luck and keep us posted

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire 6930
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Hard Drives
    320GB
I'm not quite following you. I've not the most tech savy person there is, so bare with me a little bit. I cant start Windows every time I try to do it normally, it gives me the aforementioned error, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "Ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation". Which then cycles me through these constant messages and re-starting the computer.

I am trying the F10 approach again, I have the CD in (burnt from Neosmart), and my boot preferences are 1.Hard Disk, 2.Floppy, 3. Internal Optical or whatever it is. 4,5,6. USB things. So now I hit f10 again and I get to the Vaio Recovery Center, specifically, "Restore C: Drive, restoring your Operating System", It gives me a progress bar and says, "Restoring" goes to 100% and then restarts the computer, after some steps, it begins the Restore phase, "Preparing to install software" which installs the programs and drivers up to about 54% and then goes blank. And now I don't know how to fix this.

Your saying the discs from Sony are going to be similar to this Vaio Recovery Disc I made, seems like it might bring me the same result I'm experiencing now. Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce8400M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Xbrite
Kenny is off line. Maybe I can help. Did you try the procedure contained in this link?

View Document

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
It getting late, here, so if I do not answer the next post Kenny, I or another member will try to help you. Be patient this forum has many members with enough expertise to get you up and running. Wish you luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hey Rich, thanks for the quick response and especially appreciate everyone's help. My computer is a desktop, VGC-LT18E, does that make a difference? I tried that tutorial that you posted. I can't get into windows to create anything or do anything. F10 and repairing is the closest i get but then it just stops midway during the re-install..
Are you familiar with what my proper boot should be?
My boot as of now is this:
1.Internal Optical Drive,
2. Internal Hard disk Drive,
3. Floppy disk Drive,
4. Network,
5. USB hard Disk Drive
6.USB Optical Drive
7. USB Flash

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce8400M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Xbrite
I was going to leave, but gave you one last check. Give this a try.

Using Last Known Good Configuration

Hope we will both be happy tomorrow, when you tell me its good again.

Night.

To answer your question, internal hard drive should be first in boot order.

CD drive should be first if booting from a CD, as Kenny suggested.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Well good news, I was able to go through the C:Drive Restore, I just kept a close eye on it and made sure the computer didn't go into hibernation or anything even though it says it shouldnt. It went fully to 100% and now its up and running, factory condition, seems like a brand new comp. Thank for all the help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce8400M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Xbrite
TY for reporting back, Stunner, Kenny and I are really glad that we were able to help and share in your success. Take care

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
yes, congrats, although it don't seem like I had much to do with it. (I was sleeping)
thanks rich for being a night owl..lol
the most important thing is you are back up and running!!!!! :party::party::party:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire 6930
    Memory
    3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Hard Drives
    320GB
Stunner & all,

I have a similar problem on the my Sony PCG-281L/VGC-LT18E. But even worse, the system cannot boot even to save mode. The Sony graphics did not show at the beginning, I saw a Windows sign and then a lot of " " " " " " on the screen. When I hit F8, it asked me to boot save mode, or restore etc. None of them worked, I could not get into save mode or restore, it just ran to a blank screen. Please help.

Stunner,

Did you get a copy of the Sony Recovery DVD? I think it is the last thing to recover my computer to Sony original condition for shipping the system.

Thanks for any suggestion or help.

adam

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VCG-LT
    CPU
    T5450

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks a lot Rich. Appreciate your advice.

I started the restore system process with Alt-F10. The system reloaded the mfg configuration by reloading Vista systems. But during the 1st attempt to reboot Vista, the system went back to the point of "error detected .. boot save mode or command prompt or normal boot .." I tried all options and all booted to the same place.

Is it a BIOS issue? I could not see Sony logo anymore during boot-up, only the low resolution Phoenix / Windows logo.

Or is it a Vista virus? I loaded Windows 7 and it boots ok, but I lost all Sony utilities.

Any suggestion? From anyone?

Thanks!

adam

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VCG-LT
    CPU
    T5450
I have found that the best and easiest way in this situation, and others will have different solutions, is the following. Back up your stuff. Then for $25.00 go to the supplier of your OS (your computer manufacturer if the OS is preinstalled) and buy just the Vista install DVD for about $25.00 then reinstall. If your computer is capable and you want, buy and upgrade Windows 7 for about $150.00. Then just reinstall.

Now trust me others will be here telling you how to fix, without a reinstall, what you have and it may work, but my is quick easy and you can wind up with Windows 7.

Before that however, your computer should be tested, to look for hardware damage.
Did you upgrade your Bios, recently?

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/bootPOST-c.html
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Rich,

Thanks for always be around and provide suggestions.

I did not change the BIOS at all. Is the Sony boot up logo executed out from BIOS? Or the Sony logo file is on the harddisk and somehow got corrupted?

There were a few chances I ran tests on the basic hardware and the system passed the tests. Funny thing is loading and using Windows 7 without any problem (just without any Sony utilities that came with the system, logo too).

I guess I may need to buy the recovery disk from Sony, just don't know if it is the same for recovery from my harddisk partition.

Thanks again.

adam

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony VCG-LT
    CPU
    T5450
The logo is in the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model