Sort downloaded photos by date taken

tamirhoresh

hi,
when i download photos from my canon camera, they are all put in a folder that is named according to the DOWNLOAD DATE. i'd like the photos to go into folders that are named according to the SHOOTING DATES. this was the behavior of windows in the past and for some reason it changed.
can you tell me how to change this and to get the photos sorted according to the date they were taken?

can you also tell me how to number the photos continuously, instead of numbering from 1 on each new date? i'd like the photos from day one numbered 1 to 14, from day two 15 to 23, and so on.

My Computer

Hi tamirhoresh

I use the following free application to organize my images as part of my workflow.

cam2pc - Image Viewer and fully featured Digital Imaging software to Download, Organize, Modify and Share your photos

It has a down loader that should work with your camera and will allow much finer control than any of the manufacturers offerings. It will even re-name your existing structure to what you decide to go with

It can actually create folders and image filenames from the files own internal MetaData.

There is a Paid version but have found that the freeware does everything I need. :D

It is compatible with MS photo programs but actually contains a good set of display options so may even replace them

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest Release Preview
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computers (Custom by Me)
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 Vishera 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SSD,
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Red Devil Tower
    Cooling
    Hyper103 CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
    Six Sensor Auto / Manual Digital cooling (Fan) control with Touch control Panel
Back