SP1 Hibernation Error: "System was shut down unexpectantly"

SP1 Causes Hibernation Error: "System was shut down unexpectantly"

SP1 Causes Hibernation Error: "System was shut down unexpectantly"

note to desktop users
Note   Note
Desktops set as default hybrid sleep while notebooks default to hibernation, so corrupt bcd store may not be obvious until hibernation use is enabled.

Hibernation feature does not work after Installation of Vista SP1. When attempting to resume from hibernation you recieve the following error message: "System was shutdown unexpectedly" This issue occurs when the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store contains incorrect information for the "Resume from Hibernate" entry.

Click Start>All programs>Accessories
right click Command Prompt>Run as Administrator

Step1
At Command prompt type:
bcdedit -enum all

Step23
locate following entry.(this is what you will copy in the following steps)

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

Step34
{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

note- the x's above will be replaced by letters or numbers on your
identifier string.

Step45
Use your mouse pointer and place it over the identifier string, right click, and select Mark, highlight the entire indentifier string and then hit Enter.

(this enables you to drag your pointer over the string and copy it. Important! To copy highlighted string you must hit Enter key! otherwise you will have to repeat process and mark string again)

Step56
At flashing cursor on Command Prompt type the following:

bcdedit /deletevalue

Step67
Hit the space bar then right click and paste indentifier string.
shoud look like this:

bcdedit /deletevalue {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

Step78
Hit the space bar again, and type inherit. Should look like this:

inherit

Step89
Press enter. If done correctly (with proper spacing) a sucessful message will be displayed at Command Prompt.

Step9
Type exit and press enter to close command Prompt. Hibernation should function properly.

Attachments

• Alert_Shield.png
    Alert_Shield.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 493
Last edited by a moderator:
Step78
Hit the space bar again, and type inherit. Should look like this:

inherit

Step89
Press enter. If done correctly (with proper spacing) a sucessful message will be displayed at Command Prompt.

Saw these steps on a Microsoft forum elsewhere, and followed it. It worked ... for a while. A few days later, the same problem started recurring :-( Vista suggested that I upgrade my network driver (Marvell Yukon). I did that, but the problem refuses to go away. Hibernate is broken for me!

-Mahesh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1525
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.6 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    160 GB
    Internet Speed
    1 Mbps
The same thing happened to me, maheshj. I did this fix, and it worked like a charm for a week or two, but then I started having the same problem again and when I tried this fix again, it didn't work! It said,

C:\Users\Owner>bcdedit /deletevalue {d0b31e2d-4c27-11dc-b25a-001b381ac316} inherit
An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element.
Element not found.

I also noticed that "inherit {resumeloadersettings}" is missing on my screen. I'm not all that familiar with Command Prompt, so I don't know what that means. Can anyone help with that?

I also have problems with Sleep mode. Usually if I've used Sleep recently, I leave my computer idle and come back to a completely shut-off machine. When I turn it back on, it says Windows didn't shut down properly. I have set it NOT to sleep if left idle, and I turned off Hybrid Sleep, and I turned off USB Selective Suspend, so I have no idea what the deal is here.

Also, this is all happening on a Toshiba Satellite P205D, and as far as I know, I'm not running SP1-- or at least it says I'm not. It could be lying to me. :p

My Computer

Well, after some more observation, this is what I could boil down my problem to: Hibernate works when there's some kind of network connectivity, but fails otherwise. IOW, if I'm connected to the Net / a LAN when Hibernate is triggered, then there's no problem in hibernating / putting the computer to sleep. The problem seems to crop up only when there's no network connection of any sort.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1525
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.6 GHz
    Memory
    2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    160 GB