SSD UPGRADE CONTINUOUS REBOOTS on Dell Inspiron 530S with Windows Vista

Donald123

So I did a clone of the hard drive on this Dell Inspiron 530S with Windows Vista to a solid state samsung 860evo - AND I then when I plugged it in to boot, it did boot up but then it asked if I wanted to install a driver. I said OK and it installed this driver and then now it boots up and flashes a dos screen then reboots. Boots up and reboots on boots and will keep doing this.
So I found this at spiceworks :
Go into the BIOS settings and change the SATA controller configuration from RAID / AHCI to "compatible" or "IDE"
Your system is unable to load the necessary AHCI drivers for the system and when it tries to access the Drive it bluescreens and reboots.
OK - so not sure here how do I determine what driver it really should have ? I did research in my reply to myself.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    vista but this is win 10
I see I can download a driver for a samusung spinning disk that uses Disk Interface: Serial-ATA/300 So this driver might be the one that would help ?
The Dell Drivers for the 530S the link is here:
I am looking at this sata driver for the dell 503s vitsa:
and I am looking at this driver for a older samsung spinning disk taht uses serial-ata/300:
thinking that ATA/300 will be supported by the hard drive that I am putting into this machine:
860EVO LINK:
I see they have some utilities that go with this disk - so maybe samsung offers drivers for vista. ?

My next try is going to be a re-clone and then boot again but don't allow it to install the drivers that it offered to install. But still I want to find out really what drivers it is supposed to have optimally.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    vista but this is win 10
How are you cloning the hard drive containing Vista to the SSD? Is it with the hard drive running Vista on your Dell and the SSD installed?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB