Solved Stuck keys

calculus87

Hello,
First and foremost I apologize if this thread is not in the correct place. The issue is this:

As I am working on the computer (Sony VAIO Laptop)(Windows Vista Home Edition), I hit the arrow key several times. Doesn't really matter which one, the result is the same. Just for argument sake, lets say I hit the left arrow key several times. The computer will act as if the key is stuck, and will scroll to the left. Using the up and down arrow keys, I can go up or down with out a problem. When I hit the right arrow button, I don't go to the right. The only way I can "unstick" the left arrow button is to hit again.

This issue happens with all the arrow keys, so I figure that perhaps it is a preference somewhere in Vista. I thought it might be the stickys, but I checked and they are off.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this by chance?

Thanks so much for your time.

~David :geek:

Night Hawk

Vista Guru
Hello calculus87 Welcome to the VistaForums!

You may have a keyboard problem with a contact sticking rather then a Windows problem being seen there. Have you tried using a can of air cleaner to blow the dust and dirt out with the thin tube seen with the can? You would be surprized at much will get trapped under the keys from continual usage!

calculus87

I will give that a try, but it does not seem logical to me, because it happens with all four of the keys and the computer is brand new.

do you have any other ideas by chance?

whs

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Check it with the On-Screen keyboard. You find it in All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access. If it works then, you know that you have a mechanical problem.

Night Hawk

Vista Guru
For a brand new keyboard not one that's been in use for some time I would return the unit and tell the dealer "fix this! it's got a keyboard contact problem most likely.". You have to remember all this stuff is massed produced on productions lines where only so many off the line are actually tested thoroughly before they hit the retail shelves.

Night Hawk

Vista Guru
Hopefully it will turn out to be something minor so you can have the unit back in no time. Sometimes the contacts as well as the keys on anything new are a little stiff at first and tend to stick rather then releasing. But get it back to the dealer while it's still new just the same.