Surprise! Internet Users Dislike Broadband Cap

Surprise! Internet Users Dislike Broadband Cap
Written by Kevin Parrish - 2:20 AM - October 2, 2008

It’s no secret that internet service providers are considering Broadband caps to cut down costs. However many U.S. consumers dislike the idea and will gladly change carriers if their current BSP implements the restrictions.

ZoomIn Zeugma Systems’ recent survey conducted for the International Data Corporation (source), 81 percent of the 787 U.S. customers polled proclaimed their dislike for a Bandwidth cap and the additional charges for internet use beyond the limit. However, 83 percent had no idea what a gigabyte was or just how much bandwidth they actually consume. 51 percent of those polled added that they would actually switch service providers if broadband caps were set in place. Some even claimed to actually pay for additional premium services if necessary.

"These results are both an opportunity and a warning for BSPs," said Kevin Walsh, Zeugma Systems vice president of marketing. "The opportunity is that consumers are signaling a willingness to pay more for dedicated bandwidth over and above basic high speed internet for such services as premium internet video, VOIP, gaming, and corporate VPN access. The warning is a clear distaste for bandwidth caps. At a minimum, providers moving forward with bandwidth capping schemes may want to consider a more intelligent and flexible application of caps.”

Starting today, Comcast residential customers are now limited to 250 GB per month. The company claims that the new limit is more than enough for its customers, and will more than likely never surpass the limit. But considering the consumers who purchases games and movies online, this restriction may feel more like a punishment than means to save money on behalf of the BSP. Online Gamers may face the largest setback, especially those playing on Microsoft’s Xbox Live service or MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and EverQuest II.

Read more at the Source:
Surprise! Internet Users Dislike Broadband Cap - Tom's Hardware

I mean seriousely, where is it written anyone has the right to no caps ?

Yeah, seriously, because we've all been demanding that it's our right to have no caps. Hell, we should be grateful that the ISPs are gracious enough to even offer us internet service! I mean really, the gall of anyone being upset when a company reduces and puts limits on services. This is America for god's sake!

Talk about a nonstarter :rolleyes:

My Computer

Yeah, seriously, because we've all been demanding that it's our right to have no caps. Hell, we should be grateful that the ISPs are gracious enough to even offer us internet service! I mean really, the gall of anyone being upset when a company reduces and puts limits on services. This is America for god's sake!

Call it what ya will, but as much as some would dissaggree, access to the net is not a right, no caps is not a right. I have no cap because I pay for buisness class, not because its some god given right.

My Computer

Call it what ya will, but as much as some would dissaggree, access to the net is not a right, no caps is not a right. I have no cap because I pay for buisness class, not because its some god given right.

And exactly when did anyone on this thread claim that internet access was a right, let alone a "god given right"?

Again, talk about a nonstarter... ufda!

My Computer

Ok guys, let's not let this get uncivil.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
I really don't care about the cap.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq Presario/SR5113WM
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Memory
    PNY Optima Memory DDR2 2GB 2x1 kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB
    Sound Card
    On board RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X163W LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    Western Digital 160 GB IDE
    PSU
    Dynex 400w
    Case
    Nothin Special
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Standard 102 key with volume and sleep buttons
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitech LX7
    Internet Speed
    Comcrap 10mb cable
    Other Info
    Insignia 2.1 speakers, wireless Xbox 360 controller w/plug n play charger, Belkin wireless G + mimo usb network adapter.
I care about the cap. but i think some of you guys are right seeing that internet access may not be a god given right. what about netzero? free right? still sucky, i mean who wants dial up anyways. I used to love my comcast before they started givng us a bunch of crap about using too much bandwidth.

anyways in conclusion i guess they do have a right to cap it because they are the ones providing pretty much everything.

Ive been thinking of a reason to change carriers but even with this cap would dsl be a better deal? they cap theirs too dont they?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon64x2 4000+
    Motherboard
    asus m2n-mx se
    Memory
    2GB on MOBO 1GB readyboost
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG GeForce 8400GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dual display
    PSU
    450w
    Case
    HP pavillion brought back to life
    Internet Speed
    comcast :-\
    Other Info
    Im not a noob....expect me to understand big words :D
My isp aint 2 bad for a uk provider there quite nice. They only manage your traffic if you download large files during peak hours and only then after 3 email warnings.The peak hours are 6PM-11PM daily. They sent me an email once for downloading in peak hours requesting me to download large files outside there peak hours. They also gave me a link to a page off there site about how to get the best speeds out of p2p applications. They actually have a page of info on p2p apps on there very own site which i find kinda funny. There basically promoting p2p use with friendly and helpfull advice. Basically there telling there users you can download as much as you want as long as it's outside there stated peak hours. Fair enough really.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D 925
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q-EM
    Memory
    Corsair PC2-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard Intel GMA X4500HD
    Sound Card
    On board crap!
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DGM 15" inch generic?
    Screen Resolution
    1280x 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    380W Antec Earth Watts
    Case
    Antec NSK 2480
    Cooling
    Scythe Mini ninja
    Keyboard
    generic
    Mouse
    generic
    Internet Speed
    Depends what time of the month it is? I have a uk isp.
As some one mentioned earlier in aus we have had it for years now and i guess you get used to it not that i liked it when it first come in :) i do mainly online gamimg and would never used all my limit so no biggy.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    eVGA 790i Ultra
    Memory
    Corsair DDR3-1333 2 x 2Gb @ 1400mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x eVGA GTX260 Super Clocked
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 80Gb, WD 640Gb and Ext 400Gb Storage
In the contract I am in with AOL I am uncapped, there are not many left in the uk. If they change and make it a capped service are they breaking there contract?:eek:

Well only if they change it wilst still during the period of the contract, but say they wait untill your 1 or 2 year or whatever contract is over with they can do what they please.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Slimline s3300f PC
    Memory
    3 gigs
    Hard Drives
    500 gigs
Cox with no cap. $43.95 month
10 mbps download/2 mbps upload w/ power boost (extra bandwith for large downloads).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
In the contract I am in with AOL I am uncapped, there are not many left in the uk. If they change and make it a capped service are they breaking there contract?:eek:

Well only if they change it wilst still during the period of the contract, but say they wait untill your 1 or 2 year or whatever contract is over with they can do what they please.

My service was upgraded last month. Twice the speed (only 4mb) and half the cost.
This is still uncapped so at least the contract is for another year. AOL are not as bad as alot of people make out. I think the reason why alot of companies put a cap on services is so the pipes dont get bottlenecked. They are thinking of everyones right to get access.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
Current ISP have been with for a few years, rarely run speed tests on the upto 8 MB ADSL service I have got, it is unlimited, so if I want to download 80 GB and upload 180 GB like last month, no big deal :)

Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed

Costs me £38 per month, as I use the connection for the work laptop on VPN as well, they pay 50% of the cost, cheaper than a new phone line and BT business broadband

No peak hours, but I do download bigger files when asleep as not want my speed nerfed :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2A HDMI
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce 8800 512Mb GDDR3
    Sound Card
    On board 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 2232bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500GB Sata II Hard drives running in RAID 0
    Freecom 500GB external USB
    PSU
    Coolermaster 600Watt Quiet
    Case
    Coolermaster Elite Case
    Cooling
    default fans
    Keyboard
    MS split keyboard
    Mouse
    Razer Diamond back
    Internet Speed
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/489957372.png
We Already Have it Here In Canada We have Interleave Correction Software From Bell Canada Bell And Rogers Our To Top Internet Componyes have tryed this and It's Called Throttaling And The Net team thats in the usa know about this to I sugges all you in the usa get together and put a stop to it right away The CRTC here in Canada rull for Bell But were gonna re-appeail it They cap off out supposto be unlimited buisness internet the 3rd party internet Including TechSavvy is quite pissed off about this the 3rd Internet componies that use Bell phone lines all through Canada are already effected by this we Have a 16meg 16.319 down Load and 1.5 up Load Buisness Optimax we where shareing the same system as Verizon In The States Bell employees Only a hand full where trained on this software and Only a few Selected cities where choose to run this software to give them faster internet speeds it was Residentails who got it first then Buisness customers me as a beta tester I got mine free and even Now I'm effected by this but like I said check on the Net Nurtaly on this FAst the Chicago Based Internet compony has the fastest internet so fare Cable can't even cut comcast the bad reports come in of it cutting out all the time Look on www.speedtest.net check the Chicago click on it you get the propper speed yea should be getting I already called then and asked then to Join the Internet compnies here in Canada and build a Link to the The fastest Network on the Net and to get the back Bones they need when line's get over compasitated people use P2P Bit Tollerant what the dast down load but I used Guilty But didn't realize they wan't us to leave our connections on with them to ours can seed from us and use and puggy back our connections those with slower dsl and cable connections it slows down the when you're downloading 20 to 30 movie files and put it on HIGH you are sucking up all the band width speed mmore then what the lines for the software dsl cable package you're paying for can handle so if yea s wan't to use the faster down loads people pay for the faster down loads like every one else this way yea can free up some of the back bones in some ways I see there point but in some ways for us buisness customers paying over $300 a month for our Internet connection we shouldn't be capped off if where paying that amount of money Gurenteed where suppsto be unlimoted accsess NO RESTRICTIONS thats in out contracts wwwwe sign but they fail to Honor thats Breach of Contrat when they renage and not tell the customer then they commited an Criminal offence what Loop Hole are they gonna pull to get them oputta it not.

My Computer

Sorry Djlevel9 I gave up trying to read your post it was impossible, just one big blur. ;)

So far I've not had any notice that my service is going to be capped, I'm not even sure what speed set I'm supposed to be in but I know when I signed up there was the choice of three sets, the first was limited and slower speed the middle was unlimited and the next speed up and the third I think was probably the business class and top speed.
I went with the middle at £22.98 a month which a few months later was upgraded to the top speed for the same price.

I've never had any problems really just occasionally the email servers will be down and usually if the connection is down and a reboot of the router doesn't fix it it's only a free call from me to the shop to find out what's wrong, that way they do all the technical calls which to me would be expensive, I think it's about a £1 a minute.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
Sorry Djlevel9 I gave up trying to read your post it was impossible, just one big blur. ;)

Also, add poor spelling...:shock:

Anyways, back to the topic.
I feel that people pay for what service the ISP should deliver on, based on their needs.
Why should they put a cap on bandwidth limits anyways?
Then they post some sort of marketing scheme, would you be willing to pay extra to receive unlimited bandwidth on your current connection?
Are you kidding me?
Didn't they just increase their prices up by $5+/mth recently?
People need to get their head checked, seriously.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    custom of course...
    CPU
    Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    EVGA 790i Ultra 3-way SLi
    Memory
    OCZ NVIDIA SLI Ready 8GB DDR3 1800MHz @1.9V
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG GeForce 280 GTX OC EditionX2 SLi'd
    Sound Card
    SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 52" 1080P LCD HDTV (LN52B550)
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    2XWestern Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB
    PSU
    ThermalTake ToughPower 1200watt W0113RU
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor 6000BWS
    Cooling
    ThermalTake MaxOrb CL-P0369
    Keyboard
    Logitech cordless Y-RAJ56A piece of ****
    Mouse
    Logitech G7 Laser Cordless mouse black - niiice:)
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/sec DL - 1 Mb/sec UL
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL-4500 Extreme N wireless router ...siiick:)
    2XSamsung SH-S223Q/BEBN SATA LightScribe
    1XLG GGW-H20L super-multi Blu-Ray burner
    Belkin UPS F6C1500TWRK
    Pioneer 7.1 Channel HDMI Receiver (VSX-9130TXV-K)
Some people are luckier than others i suppose when it comes to the amount of bandwidth available to them. I am stuck with a 3 year contract limited to 1Gig download /month for $80/month using a Sierra Wireless Aircard and anything over 1Gig we get charged $10/Gig over and above the set 1Gig. We are being robbed up here for our internet use and now the Canadian CRTC has just agreed to let the service providers throttle back our bandwidth:mad:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Media Centre PC m8400f
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor
    Motherboard
    AMD Phenom
    Memory
    3.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    ST336032 OAS SCSI Disk Device x 2
    PSU
    600 watt
    Case
    HP
    Keyboard
    HP 5189
    Mouse
    HP
    Internet Speed
    Broadband
    Other Info
    DVD/CD-ROM Drive- TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N CdRom Device
    1T Media Drive
    Logitech 400w sound system
I have had Comcast since 01 and have been a very happy customer. When I first heard that they would be implementing caps I become concerned. But as of now they have not implemented the cap in my area.

I say this because I have not seen my monthly bandwidth usage listed anywhere on my monthly statements and as I understand it when the caps go into effect the monthly usage is going to be included in the statements. I also feel that ISP's should give customers a tool to monitor there usage if they are going to have caps. and Comcast does not offer such a tool yet.

To those that say if you want more bandwidth upgrade your accounts I would gladly do so if I could be assured that I would in fact not be caped. I remember when I first purchased my service it was sold on the premise that 1. it was going to be fast 2. that bandwidth was going to be unlimited. I am just worried that when/if I upgrade my account the usage terms well change yet again.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X64 3000+ 2.01
    Motherboard
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb
    Memory
    3 GB DDR 333 PC 2700
    Graphics Card(s)
    e- Geforce 7600 GT
    Sound Card
    OnBoard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL2223W
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050 @ 60 hertz
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG SP123C3 ATA DRIVE
    WESTREN DIGITAL 222GVD ATA DRIVE
    Cooling
    onboard Fans
    Keyboard
    MS natural
    Mouse
    gearhead wireless mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable 6 gigiabit down 384 up
WOW! I seriously did not know that TRULY unlimited plans still existed anywhere in the world.

I'm stuck in Australia paying $60\month for 12GB (seems kinda crap when people in the US are complaining about a 250GB limit and still only paying $40\month!)

@ITJUNKIE

It is almost guaranteed that the T and C will differ if you change your plan SO DONT DO IT. Stick with unlimited downloads as opposed to being shaped (64/64 that's in kbps. I do get shaped at 80/256 but that is an uncommon thing in OZ)

Thats just my 2 cents! :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    E6750 @ 3.6GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte P35 DS3
    Memory
    4GB 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    POV GTX285
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Widescreen LG
    Screen Resolution
    1400x900
    Hard Drives
    2 x WD 500G
    PSU
    Coolermaster Silent Pro 700M
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120 LFB
    Keyboard
    Logitech EX110
    Mouse
    Logitech MX400
    Other Info
    Graphics Driver - 190.38
WOW! I seriously did not know that TRULY unlimited plans still existed anywhere in the world.

I'm stuck in Australia paying $60\month for 12GB (seems kinda crap when people in the US are complaining about a 250GB limit and still only paying $40\month!)

@ITJUNKIE

It is almost guaranteed that the T and C will differ if you change your plan SO DONT DO IT. Stick with unlimited downloads as opposed to being shaped (64/64 that's in kbps. I do get shaped at 80/256 but that is an uncommon thing in OZ)

mattinahat,

I plan to stay on my current plan as long as possible :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brew
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X64 3000+ 2.01
    Motherboard
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb
    Memory
    3 GB DDR 333 PC 2700
    Graphics Card(s)
    e- Geforce 7600 GT
    Sound Card
    OnBoard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL2223W
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050 @ 60 hertz
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG SP123C3 ATA DRIVE
    WESTREN DIGITAL 222GVD ATA DRIVE
    Cooling
    onboard Fans
    Keyboard
    MS natural
    Mouse
    gearhead wireless mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable 6 gigiabit down 384 up

mattinahat,

mattinahat,

hi have you looked at getting exetel they have more download then your current isp

cheers brad

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    PHENOM II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition CPU, 3.40 GHz
    Motherboard
    GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
    Memory
    G.Skill 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500 gt
    Sound Card