System Restore + Blue screen = Virus?

Or you could use free security software and i mean free not "free". Avira Personal ED + Windows Defender + some supplements like Malwarebytes will do. If you want 2-way firewall try Comodo again - but untick Antivirus during install.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX 8800GTS XT 320mb, Generic Nvidia 6200 PCI 128mb
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung 245b, 20" Dell 2007WFP, 19" Samsung 193P
    Hard Drives
    WD Raptor 74gb, Maxtor 300gb, WD Caviar 16SE 500gb
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 532
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Hello again.
Ok, that was qucik. This morning i woke up and BSOD was waiting for me :)
That's the picture of it:

It says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
What does it mean?
I read on one of the forums that it helps if you change slots for RAM, but in my case it's a laptop and as far as i know i've got just one 2GB ram :S
What should I do?

Last edited:

My Computer

Well stop code suggest memory I guess.

If lucky it hints to where problem is - precisely. Cant see where here except for the obvious. I still would not exclude software.

In C:\Windows\Minidump\ you will have a mini-dump file, 1 for each crash, might tell more. Upload the latest here.

More importantly, test memory. Vista has build in tester, can be run from boot menu as well (copy and pasted from some MS article)

To run Windows Memory Diagnostic
  1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then expand Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run elevated from the context menu.
  3. At the command prompt, type mdsched.exe. If you are prompted, allow the action. You can choose to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
  4. Windows Memory Diagnostic runs automatically after the computer restart. Windows Memory Diagnostic allows you to choose among three test suites of varying thoroughness.
Even better is to use Memtest86+ Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Download, burn iso, boot from CD, let it run for some hours. All there is to it.

People who overclock or otherwize tweak memory/cpu can get the most strangest STOP codes pointing in all directions, AV is to blaim, then IE7, then some low level driver - and nothing will be resolved until memory is fixed. I have tried having perfect Memtest86+ and stilll getting STOP codes. There is one more test you could do but try Memtest86+ first, or the Window Diag thing. Memtest86+ must be able to run no matter what.

Remember the SFC command http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html?ltr=S Very important you run that because some system files can be corrupted by now.

Also CHKDSK http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html?ltr=C

Not much point in running them now - but do it after result of memory test. Actually only do it if successful test. If fail there is a memory module to look at! With any luck they get too little voltage, wrong timings and can be fixed. You are right about the changing slot. If extremely lucky changing slot can sometimes make all the difference. Dont count on that.

With no fail I would like to see yet another RSIT - not convinced this is hardware problem, mainly because your previous logs were messy. We will see. Also have to get some more info on memory module/bios setting for memory but later.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Another thing I remembered from the now deleted log files is a temp file showing you have been flashing bios. Should be plug&play since you only ran an exe-file from Dell right? Probably a good thing to flash, Dell holds your hand and guide to right bios which dont have many settings to get lost in either. Go to Dells site and punch in model number - then check drivers/programs. Should be easy to upgrade. I think they even have a tool which automatically can detect model and guide to relevant downloads. Dont let stuff like Driver Scanner take over, be a sheep to Dell since that is what you got. I dont know much about Dell though - but be sure you are on top of things regarding most important drivers and bios/flasing.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Thank you. So if i understand you correctly i should upgrade my BIOS from dell's site?

Btw, how can i open those *.dmp files? (which program do i need?)

My Computer

You mean mini-dump files? Not so exciting and there are some buts about how to translate them. How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging If lucky it points to a recognizable driver/process - if more luck it is correct and removing/updating that fix all problems. But as Ive said Debugging is not exact science, definitely not if ram is real problem.

If Dell say an upgrade is considered "urgent", "important" or similar then yes you should install/flash. If you want to be very sure then go to their "community" or forum, search for model number. The good thing about DEll is config is the same so problems are shared. Most updates are better than what they replace but ##¤%& happens - can go wrong with Windows update even.

Where were we? Memory Management blew up, so Memtest86+? You can do a quicktest for 1 pass - but next time you go to sleep let it run all night.

I dont use either alcohol or daemon but are you sure they run well together, or on their own. Have no idea but something to check out. I am thinking of old horror stories I guess.

You dont have to post RSIT logs - take a look your self to check comodo, counterspy, zonealarm is gone. Did not fix problem apparently but hang on to the idea of not using so many conflicting security programs.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Ok, will do that during the weekend. Or tomorrow in the evening...
Can i just ask one more thing. What about Windows 7 beta? What do you think of it? Apparently it's compatibile with everything Vista-ish, but is it ture?

My Computer

You wonder about many things :cool:

May be alcohol/daemon wont work on 7. Most things should. But take a look at the Windows7-forum, link in top menu. I know nothing. From what Ive heard it is safe to try but you should not use it as main OS. Updates and such later on could require a total reinstall.

May be you can test using Vmware, Virtualbox or MS Virtual pc. 7 should work in a mini-box. Might require some research but go to 7 forum.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Hi again.
I'm sorry for not replying for some time but have been quite busy.
I managed to perform a bios diagnostic test which reported this error:

Does this mean i need a new hard drive? What can happen if i keep on going with this error? Are BSODs the worst i can get or is it that I may end up losing all my data?

My Computer

Have to contact Dell Im afraid. Seems like hd is failing. Give them the errors codes and they will known what to do.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 520W
    Case
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1100R
    Internet Speed
    20mb down, 1mb up
Hi again.
At the end of the day it was my HD which was causing all the trouble. Thank you very much for all your help. Dell kindly replaced it and coppied all my data :)
Not sure why, but the whole system feels much cooler and it's deffenitely more quite than before.

My Computer

Good for Dell and you. Well be careful about setting up important stuff like Firewall, Anti-this and that. Only 1 of each. Throw in all the supplements you like as long as they dont conflict. Old setup was asking for trouble.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD X2 6000
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5
    Memory
    Corsair 4x1gb 6400C4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek ALC889A