System Restore Disk OS has errors

JohnHXC8

I had a problem with Google Earth since it was failing on me and I found out that it was a file called "nvlddmkm", so I went around looking for a program that could repair it and I used "driver sweeper", well once I used it the problem became an even worse problem.

My display resolution is too low and it only gives me 1024 x 768, when I know for a fact that it can go higher. Well I tried to do system restore, but was met with another problem. It said that "Disk OS (C:) has errors".

I have tried multiple things in order to fix my problem. I've used both sfc/scannow and chkdsk it says it"cannot continue in read-only mode", so I read elsewhere that you can use chkdsk/f as an option and I typed in "Y". And when i restarted my computer nothing happened.

With sfc/scannow, I was given the log, which I tried to view on the notepad, but a box popped up saying "access denied'.

I also tried to replace the autochk.exe file with no results.

All that I can visibly see that has been changed by the driver sweeper program is that my display resolution cannot go any higher.

By the way, I own a Windows Vista XPS M1210

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Well, I'll look more into the link tomorrow and try out those options. But, my main problem was that I couldn't do a system restore. When I try to restore my computer prior to the problem, by choosing the "choose a different restore point", click next, and then the date, next, and then next, but I'm stopped by a box that pops up with the message, "The disk OS {C:} has errors". If offers a disk check option, even though I schedule it, it doesn't follow through when I start up my computer again.

So, will this link give me the answers to bypassing the problem I'm having with the system restore?

My Computer

The option, that I have provided is merely the correct way to perfom a system restore, which you may have already. You can try a System Restore in safe mode. See if that works.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hello JohnHXC8,
Since using Driver Sweeper, what driver have you installed to replace the one Driver Sweeper removed ?.

When running an sfc scan, it has to be done as administrator.
Open a command prompt as administrator and type sfc/scannow press enter and let it scan, if errors are found, you will have to scan again until clean.

Go here and read this article, you may have to do this to get results.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ndows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

Let me know about the video driver asap, thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)