System Restore impossible

Philp47

Now there I was just minding my own busines and wham bang I got 16 automatic updates for Vista and most for security today. Great stuff! Marvellous! Except my Caps Lock light don't work any more and when I switch off the red light on the keyboard does not light up any more.
So I thought - I'll get you you little &(*^&*%^^&%^$#%!! and do a System Restore. Well three tries later I can't do that either. I can't do a System Restore. So it looks like I'm stuck with the 16 auto updates and no Caps Lock light or red sleeping light.
Any ideas please? Before I go completely mad?

Thanks,

Phil.

My Computer

First, about the Caps Lock - try using a different keyboard to see if you have the same problem. If not, then you have a defective keyboard and need to replace it. If so, then the keyboard is fine but there may be some problems with the light (or maybe the software or drivers connecting it to the light). In that case, I'd try to update the Keyboard driver from the computer manufacturer's website or the keyboard manufacturer's website.

Why are you "stuck" with 16 updates? I don't understand the problem. You don't need the caps lock light (or caps lock) to download and install updates. What's the issue - I don't understand what's wrong other than there being quite a few updates to do all at once.

And what's the issue about the red "sleeping light"? Are you saying when you put your computer to sleep it once showed a red light to indicate it was in sleep mode and now that light doesn't show any more?

When you say you can't do a System Restore, why not? Do you get an error message (if so, what is the EXACT text word-for-word)? Does it show no available restore points? Does the system freeze or crash when you try to do it? I mean, what exactly happens when you try to do a System Restore?

What's the manufacturer, make, and model of your computer?

Thanks and good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Sometimes, just rebooting fixes the problem. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Bruce ... somewhere in his 40's
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU
    Motherboard
    INTEL/D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 914v
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    2/500GB each ... ST3500630AS ATA Device.
    One is not connected
    PSU
    Rocketfish 700 W
    Case
    G.Skill Gigabyte Chassis
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Other Info
    ATI HDMI Audio
Now there I was just minding my own busines and wham bang I got 16 automatic updates for Vista and most for security today. Great stuff! Marvellous! Except my Caps Lock light don't work any more and when I switch off the red light on the keyboard does not light up any more.
So I thought - I'll get you you little &(*^&*%^^&%^$#%!! and do a System Restore. Well three tries later I can't do that either. I can't do a System Restore. So it looks like I'm stuck with the 16 auto updates and no Caps Lock light or red sleeping light.
Any ideas please? Before I go completely mad?

Thanks,

Phil.

You only had 16 ?
I had 17 and after that one more. That's 18 !
Something for you to consider for future : manual update instead of auto.

Re : system restore.
Any luck if you did it in Safe Mode without Network ?

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta
First, about the Caps Lock - try using a different keyboard to see if you have the same problem. If not, then you have a defective keyboard and need to replace it. If so, then the keyboard is fine but there may be some problems with the light (or maybe the software or drivers connecting it to the light). In that case, I'd try to update the Keyboard driver from the computer manufacturer's website or the keyboard manufacturer's website.

Why are you "stuck" with 16 updates? I don't understand the problem. You don't need the caps lock light (or caps lock) to download and install updates. What's the issue - I don't understand what's wrong other than there being quite a few updates to do all at once. I wanted to Restore to before the 16 or so updates

And what's the issue about the red "sleeping light"? Are you saying when you put your computer to sleep it once showed a red light to indicate it was in sleep mode and now that light doesn't show any more? Yes

When you say you can't do a System Restore, why not? Do you get an error message (if so, what is the EXACT text word-for-word)? Does it show no available restore points? Does the system freeze or crash when you try to do it? I mean, what exactly happens when you try to do a System Restore? It just says System Restore did not complete.

What's the manufacturer, make, and model of your computer? Special build last year i7 920

Thanks and good luck!

Well I seem to have managed to fix the problem by unplugging the keyboard and reconnecting! Lights back to normal now. Thanks for your help and interest:)

My Computer

I'm glad we could help - it was our pleasure. Have we helped solve all your problems or only one of them? It seems like you had more than just the keyboard issue or are the other issues also resolved as well because we really didn't address any of the others and just asked questions about them (which you haven't answered)?

Thanks for the feedback - it is appreciated.

If everything is resolved, don't forget to close out the thread by clicking the far right triangular icon at the top of your post and typing "solved" in the box and submitting it. The moderators will notice and put a green check next to the thread title. That way others seeking answers by searching the forums will know that this thread contains a solution to the issue identified in the title - and people seeking to help will not waste time checking out this thread since it has been resolved.

And welcome to Vista Forums! Now that you know where we are, bookmark the site and post anytime you have further questions or problems or if you just want to browse and learn (especially the Tutorial section offers some excellent advice on a wide variety of topics) or even if you want to try to help answer a question if you happen to see one where you know the answer and it hasn't already been posted. While it most likely won't be us the next time (though it might), there are many very skilled, experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly people here who, like us, volunteer their time to help others and one or maybe even several will respond to your post to assist you. While there are other forums on the web that do this sort of thing, you've now found what I think is the best (and I've posted in and/or checked out quite a few) so don't lose this link - you never know when it might come in handy again.

Good luck and best wishes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem