The display driver has stopped working and has recovered

flaviowolff

Hello guys. I'm having the error on the title randomly when running any game... It was somewhat constant on Titan Quest, happened once on MOH: Airborne and never happened on bioshock or ET:QW

Today I was playing Counter Strike: Source with Bots. all running normally. I would start a server with 30 bots, but by the time the bots would appear on the map, I had the error again. The screen goes black, returns to the game with rendering failures, goes black again and I need to close the game.
The interesting thing is that if I overclock my graphics card a little, It happens more constantly! Power issues?

My rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6420 @3.3ghz @1.425v
4 gigs of G.Skill DDR2-800 (GBPK) Ram
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Mobo w/ latest bios
eVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra KO w/ latest WHQL driver for vista (163.69)
Zippy 500w HP2-6500PE ATX Power Supply w/ 36A on the 12v Rail (35A recommended for the ultra on full load)
1x 250gb HDD Drive

any ideas? :sarc:

My Computer

well, that hotfix for nvidia users would fix that, but it doesnt, i think.
im thinking about something with power, because if I overclock it happens more constantly... maybe the power supply is not enough? it should be...

My Computer

Odd,

I purchased a 8600gts so that i could dable with DX10 and see if its worth buying top end hardware for on my gaming pc. This started happening almost immediately while playing world of warcraft using the latest nvidia driver (not sure of number, im at work but the latest one that is WHQL certified) I thought since it was a crappy card that maybe it was overheating which made sence since it has a small/cheap fan and heat-sync combo. I popped my 7950gx2 back in and the problem never came back.

I thought it was odd to happen in a game that isnt a resource hog and shouldnt be over heating my card. I thought it was heat because it surely couldnt have been a power issue considering i run a 7950gx2 without a hitch. I didnt consider the possibility of a driver issue though.

I have all the hotfixes from MS and NVidia and still had the problem. I didnt look into it much because the card was just to try some dx10 games and see if the difference was worth the switch and it seems like it wasnt worth it yet, maybe with the dx10.1 stuff it will be more of a noticable difference. Right now that card is in a spare pc doing nothing more than citrix & remote desptop connections for my job. :)

My Computer

if it happens with your GF8 and not with your GF7, big chances of a driver issue there.
heat? possible, but i dont think so. my 8800ultra runs at 68 idle and 80 load (thats not much for a G80, it handles 100 and more). the overclocking did not increase the heat, but did increase the errors
power issues discarded, because my PSU SHOULD handle this 8800, and so do yours which handles a 8600

My Computer

Ok so I have a ATI x1950Pro Iceq by HIS in Crossfire mode. I was constantly getting the "driver has stopped working and recovered" message after exiting games, and during games when the driver would crash the screen would go blank for about 5 seconds. I had tried several different versions of the driver, which I also thought was a little odd because so many had said that the ATI vista drivers were a lot better than the nvidia drivers. I have other PC's with vista, one with ati and one with nvidia, never recieved the message, but then never tried the same games (Crysis, Medal of Honor 4).Then I saw someone post a link where MS said it was usually the hardware at fault, not the driver. Thought it was the usually scapegoat tactic, and my diagnostics said temps and everything were fine for the card(average 55c, topped at 65c). However, I decided to open up my case, and use an old archaic method of touch to see how hot it was. Not only were my cards understandable hot, but my MB and the overall graphics cards were extremely hot! Under RivaTuner the 'ambient temp' was equal with the core temp (65c), and that was right were it would always start to crash! I had several fans already so I never really thought it'd be heat, but the moral of the story is now, 3 additional fans later, one installed directly on the graphcis cards, everything is working just fine, so make sure it's not radiant heat spreading to the rest of the components, or even different parts on the same component; the GPU may be made to handle high temps, but the rest of the components aren't, and with 2 big freaking cards, there's a lot of heat to go around.

My Computer

Sounds like it could either be a PSU issue, GPU overclock issue or it could be driver issue. Try getting a new PSU and then put the GPU back to standard clock. If it is a driver issue, well, you've got to wait for NVIDIA/ATi to fix the problem.

I have a Saphhire ATi Radeon 3650 overclocked at 800 MHz w/ its DDR2 VRAM OC @ 525 MHz with a stock cooler and I have no issues playing Crysis on medium settings (1280x1024).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A AM2+
    Memory
    4 GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 320 GB SATA HDD w/ 16MB cache
help mines doing the same thing i can't play cod2 without the screen going black and freezing up but i can play multiplayer just fine with no problems help!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway fx 4710
    Memory
    6 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    overclocked 9800gt
mine too. Screen turns black for about 5 seconds and then the game is continued.
I have no idea what can be the problem, still thinking it has something to do with heat.
I have a Sapphire 3870x2 card, have even replaced the card with a new one. At first my complete system would hang if the black screen issue accured. Now with the new card, it recovers from the hang but it's still very annoying.
It looks like it happens more often when running high resolutions (ie 1600x1200)
My PSU is a BeQuet 650W which should be good enough.
Will try running the system in cabrio mode (take the cover off) so the heat can escape more easy.

My Computer

Nope, opening the case makes no difference. It crashes even after a few seconds COD4, so heat can't be the problem.
Will use a oscilloscoop to look at the power supply voltages, maybe here's something happening...

My Computer

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue. Why? Because my laptop does the same thing when I try to watch IE video's, or at least it used to. My desktop did the same thing for a while. The thing is my laptop has an onboard ati chip and my desktop is 2 Nvida 8800gt 's in sli, cooler master cosmos case and 1000w power supply. No heat issues and the power supply is good. It's pure OS BS. I don't have the problem any more on either system. When I did have the problem awhile back, I did some searching my self and couldn't find much help any where, so I had to mess around with it my self. One thing you can try is uninstalling the drivers you have and then use driver cleaner pro and wipe the drivers completely out. Then make sure you have the latest drivers downloaded and install them. I did notice that my laptop worked better playing videos in full screen with the drivers downloaded from windows update, but those drivers suck for anything else. And since you're playing games, they just won't do. Another option is to reformat, which sucks but should take care of it if you get desperate.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel e6750 @ 3.67 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Striker 2 Formula
    Memory
    4 x 1 gb Corsair xms2
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x EVGA 8800gt in sli
    Hard Drives
    320 gb wd in raid 0
Hi guys
solved issue "nvidia driver stopped working and has recovered" by disabling UAC. I run a dual xeon 3ghz, 16gb ram, on vista ultimate 64bit, and since disabling User Account Control i have no problems running games. So i guess it's a Vista problem not necessarily a nVidia problem.

My Computer

sorry for the incomplete post,
I tested this solution on 3 videocards Quadro fx 5600, Gefroce 8800 ultra, Geforce 8800 gts, and all had the same issue before disabling uac, and work great now with uac off.

My Computer

does anyone know if that solution will have the same effect on ATI graphics systems?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    intel Q6600 @3.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP35C DS3R
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 1066 HPC REAPER
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 4870 HD 1024mb gddr5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    lg flatron 20.1
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital 350gb
    samsung spinpoint 120gb
    PSU
    900w
    Case
    thermaltake aguila
    Cooling
    2x 120mm 2x 10cm
Hello,

Can I just add something. I had endless trouble with my 8800gt getting the freezing up and recovering symptoms. I tried everything possible (including going back to windows XP) and then gave up and tried an ATi 3870 and since then I have had no problems. The problems appears to be nvidia!!

Thats just my slant on things anyway!

Cheers

My Computer

Back