There is a problem with this website's security certificate

BillTweedy

Hello

I am re-installing my Vista OS and all the updates are done but I have a problem with IE9 (it also did it with IE7) where well known websites, when being accessed, give a message "There is a problem with this website's security certificate"

I've deselected a couple of options in IE9 to do with certification and a regedit to bypass zone check for KB954312.

Also I am triyng to install some McAfee software but after allowing it to proceed it does nothing. It's obviously not being allowed to access the internet.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards
Bill

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium
Welcome to Vista Forums BillTweedy. Every browser version that works on Vista is outdated, especially IE. My first suggestion is to try Firefox ESR 52.9.0 x86 (64-bit builds did not support Vista). There was a similar thread at MSFN not long ago titled “IE8 and Google Chrome certificate error.” I cannot reproduce your issue, perhaps because my IE9 supports TLS 1.1 and 1.2. There is a post by me in this section of the forum titled “IE9: Last Supported Browser for Vista” that might prove enlightening if you simply must use IE9 in 2020, which I can’t really recommend anymore. (As for McAfee, I believe they ended support for Vista and XP years ago.)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hi BillTweedy:

Further to Vistaar's suggestion, full offline installers for 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.9.0 (all regions and languages) are available for download from Mozilla's FTP server at Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/. If you want the English-US installer (Firefox Setup 52.9.0esr.exe), for example, choose the /EN-US subfolder.

I believe Firefox ESR v52.9.0 will support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 connections to secure https sites by default, but I added TLS 1.3 support to my Firefox ESR v52.9.0 (i.e., by changing security.tls.version.max to a value of 4 in the advanced settings). See the instructions in Martin Brinkmann's June 2017 ghacks.net article How to Enable TLS 1.3 Support in Firefox and Chrome.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Thanks for your replies. I have downloaded Firefox v52.9.0 and it works OK. I have also added a certificate and that has fixed IE9 blocking well known sites.
The only problem I'm having is I am trying to install some McAfee software but after allowing it to proceed it does nothing. It's obviously not being allowed to access the internet. I've tried their Pre-install and MCPR tools but I am at a loss as to what is blocking it. I can install most programs that were on my old broken hard drive but the McAfee is a real problem.
Regards
Bill

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium
If you have reason to believe that McAfee still makes software that supports Vista (I don’t think they do, certainly not their antivirus), then perhaps you should start a thread in the appropriate forum section rather than taking your own browser thread off topic. I wonder how many years ago your hard drive broke if you were using McAfee at the time.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
The McAfee software is offered by British telecom's broadband service and it is Vista 32 bit friendly. I re-post in the correct forum.
Thanks
Bill

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium
....I am re-installing my Vista OS and all the updates are done ...

Hi BillTweedy:

When you say your updates are done, have you confirmed that Service Pack 2 (rel. 25-May-2009) is installed and your OS is fully patched to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017)? If you used Ex_Brits's 32-bit Vista ISO (which I believe includes both SP1 and SP2) your Windows Updates will hang on "Checking for updates..." until you have installed the 4 or 5 required "speed up" patches described on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
I used Ex_Brits's 32-bit Vista ISO and all Windows Updates are done. I have also installed the 5 patches to fix windows updates problems.

Thanks
Bill

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium
Thanks for your replies. I have downloaded Firefox v52.9.0 and it works OK. I have also added a certificate and that has fixed IE9 blocking well known sites.
The only problem I'm having is I am trying to install some McAfee software but after allowing it to proceed it does nothing. It's obviously not being allowed to access the internet. I've tried their Pre-install and MCPR tools but I am at a loss as to what is blocking it. I can install most programs that were on my old broken hard drive but the McAfee is a real problem.
Regards
Bill
Hi! I'm having the same issue after installing the 64 bit version of the Vista ISO. I visited the mozilla site on a different laptop since the Vista one can't visit websites and then downloaded some browser but there no laptop version. Unless the desktop browser option is also for laptops? I downloaded the desktop version into a Flashdrive and used it in the Vista laptop but it can't open the file, anyway but upon revising the download after being finished it was a different version. Excuse my ignorance please, i'm trying to learn more and more. Do you mind telling me how did you manage to install that browser? Thanks!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor @ 1.70 GHz.
    Motherboard
    ^3M Cache, up to 2.70GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
Hi! I'm having the same issue after installing the 64 bit version of the Vista ISO. I visited the mozilla site on a different laptop since the Vista one can't visit websites and then downloaded some browser but there no laptop version. Unless the desktop browser option is also for laptops? I downloaded the desktop version into a Flashdrive and used it in the Vista laptop but it can't open the file, anyway but upon revising the download after being finished it was a different version...
Firefox versions more recent than 52 will not work on Vista, and 64-bit versions of Firefox never worked on Vista. There are no special versions for laptops. My best advice would actually be to buy a new PC that runs Windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Ok, thanks for your input. But this is project that i'm working on. :up: I did try to download the 52 but like i said when i checked the doaload it had a different version.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Norton Security v22.15 (the legacy version for Win XP/Vista) was just updated to v22.15.3.20 on 15-Apr-2020 per the product update announcement <here>

I wanted to give imacri an update on Norton Security at the link he posted above but it takes me to something called Guru Meditation which I have no access to. I have a subscription to Norton Security which I use on my Vista system and two Win 7 systems. On their own two weeks ago, Norton updated Norton Security to Norton 360 v20.20.4.57 on all three systems. Everything works fine on all of them. I was using Norton Security because Norton 360 isn't (or wasn't) compatible with Vista. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go to renew my subscription next year.

For the OP, using IE 9 may or may not cause headaches, depending on which websites one goes to. I can't find the thread that I'm thinking of in which we had talked about FF, Opera, and Sea Monkey.. I still use FF daily and sometimes Opera. I also haven't had any gliches with Sea Monkey, the few times I've used it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I wanted to give imacri an update on Norton Security at the link he posted above....

...I still use FF daily and sometimes Opera...
Imacri is actually a “she” rather than a “he.” I’ve often thought you two should have a thread about Norton, but obviously not a thread in the Browsers and Mail section in which the OP was only interested in McAfee. Imacri has asserted that Norton is incompatible with the BlueKeep patch, but you have demonstrated that it isn’t. (I could post links, but why should I bother?)

I believe the OP is long gone now, but might conceivably have been interested to know that the last version of Opera to support Vista was based on the same 4-year-old Chromium 49 code as the last version of Chrome to support Vista - just another obsolete browser.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
The main website always tries to get you to download the latest version. Here is the direct link for 52.9.0 ESR 32-bit. Just select the folder with the language of your choice. Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/
Ok, thanks. I actually managed to find it myself because i don't want to be defeated by my own incompetence.
Since this is the x86 version will it in anyway affect my browser performance? Not that i have any options. Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
Since this is the x86 version will it in anyway affect my browser performance? Not that i have any options.
Of course an x64 browser would theoretically perform better on Vista x64 than an x86 build, but pickings are slim for those who are still running Vista or XP. You apparently do not consider yourself to be an advanced user, so I hesitate to make any suggestions at all. It might still be possible to download an x64 build of Chrome 49 from a third party, but that’s a 4-year-old browser. (The final security update for Firefox ESR 52 was “only” 2 years ago.) You might want to look at Jody Thornton’s thread ”Basilisk and New Moon Ports: Best Options For Vista,” but no one else here was even as interested as me and I was running Vista x86 anyway.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Well you can suggest anything that will help. I find it fascinating fixing up old laptops; i recently started making this a hobby and i've learned quite a lot at least in the physical part of it, the software side i'm a few steps behind. So i've read that Opera will work well with Vista? But how well, better than Firefox 52.9.0? Speaking of which, the laptop in question is a Viao CR-220e which seems extremely responsive when surfing the only thing that i need to figure out how to improve is how some heavy websites (for lack of a better word) don't load all the content in the site for example; IGN. Any suggestions on what could improve this? Do you think swapping the processor for a bit beefier one will help with this? I will also read up the thread you suggested. Thank much!!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
The only issue I have with Opera is that it won't save log on credentials (username/password) for a website. I admit I haven't conducted much research to rectify that. I don't know what kind of content at IGN won't load but you might look at the Opera Privacy settings to see if loading protected content is enabled. I don't know how a "beefier" CPU would help, in this regard.

There are two issues I have with FF. First, I listen to Accuradio all day and when I go to close FF, Accuradio doesn't always want to close but eventually it will. Since I always put my system to sleep, when I wake it up after the latter occurs, FF says it didn't close properly and asks me if I want to recover or close. Second, it still periodically (maybe once a week) will freeze the graphics for a few minutes and then recover even though that was supposed to be fixed by an update.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
....So i've read that Opera will work well with Vista?....
I neglected to mention in post #14 that the 4-year-old versions of Opera that supported Vista were only available in x86. Opera does make x64 versions nowadays, but that’s irrelevant unless Windows 7 is old enough to suit you. The appalling lack of browser support is perhaps the main reason why average users have mostly abandoned Vista and XP (and rightly so IMO). Old browsers will encounter issues at specific websites. I don’t care to investigate IGN, but there is going to be big trouble when YouTube discontinues Polymer v1. No browser thus far mentioned in this thread is capable of supporting their latest Polymer v2 layout! (In case I have confused one of our prolific posters, let me be clear that YouTube has not yet discontinued Polymer v1, so your favorite antique browser might still be usable at YouTube for the time being.)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
If you're referring to me, your point is well taken. On the other hand, I go to YouTube maybe 3 or 4 times a year and if I can't get to what I want using Vista and the available browsers, I'd just go there using one of my Win 7 systems. When, if, my Vista system dies, I'll be buying a Win 10 system to last another 10 years (Geez, I'll be 76 in a few months so any new system will probably outlast me.). I've also used Sea Monkey a few times but not enough to generate an opinion.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB