Toshiba P205 laptop

iscreamsunday

This toshiba P205 laptop is running Vista 32. It has run for over 2 years, and recently the screen started to fail (or so it appeared). The screen will be grey, no cursor or anything, but the backlight works. I can plug into VGA monitor and operate the computer. I checked the screen connections and wiring, all good. It was an intermittent problem for about a month, and then it completely failed. I did a complete system recovery, and my screen was back. Worked fine for a couple days, and then on a reboot, it went grey again, and won't come back up. VGA output still works fine. Has anyone heard of something like this? The screen will not display anything, even the BIOS splash won't display, although I can change boot priority via F12 as it boots. I don't want to go through another day+ of recovery if I don't need to (2 years of updates takes some time). I don't know if this is something Toshiba will fix if I send it in, especially since the laptop is from 11/2007. Any help is appreciated.

My Computer

What happens if you insert a bootable cd in the optical drive? i.e. a Linux live Cd etc!
or maybe an older Windows setup/install disc?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer 5315 with upgraded CPU and ram.
    CPU
    Intel T7500
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    2 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD Sata2 500 gb
    Mouse
    Stick mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 meg line/ 15700kbps sync
    Other Info
    Sky
So far I cannot get it to display when booted from UBCD or Knoppix. I need an external monitor to verify my settings are correct (I am running blind). I will have to take it to the office this week to finish this test, thanks for the help so far.

My Computer

well, I cannot get it to boot from knoppix or ubcd (or hdclone for that matter). I guess the graphics card is bad. I believe the screen is ok. Have already bought her a new PC, so I'll decide if I want to send this in to Toshiba.

My Computer

it's not the graphics card since your VGA works just perfectly.

I would suggest to open your machine and to check the wiring from your video card to your screen. sometimes it comes loose.

Hope this helps!

-GKahn

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Qosmio
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    TOSHIBA KSRAA (U2E1)
    Memory