Solved Toshiba satellite a205 screen issues

Hi

A friend has given me his laptop to try to repair. The screen goes green, blue and pink in a lot of areas and is ok in some. All the pixels appear ok. I've researched and believe it may be the MOBO or graphics card? Could someone please tell me how I can diagnose this error without the need to take it to a pricey repair man!! I am comfortable with the disassembly of computers.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804

Cheers!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M1201
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    1GB DDR RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 2100
    Sound Card
    Unknown
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200
    PSU
    ATX 250PA
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi rikstaparr,

Try booting into the BIOS and see if you have the same display problems there. This will help us determine if it is truly a hardware problem or perhaps a software or driver problem of some sort (or at least narrow down the possible options - depending on the results). If it works in BIOS, then try booting into Safe Mode and see if it works there. If so, then there's a good chance it isn't a hardware problem per se but something else causing the problem. If not, then we will still have learned some valuable information.

If not, try booting to a bootable disk like the genuine Vista Installation Disk or a repair disk you can make (You can make a bootable Recovery Disk using http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD (perhaps made on a different computer or perhaps in safe mode with networking if that is working). To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.) and see if that makes any difference (as by booting to the CD you will not be using Vista or some of the other drivers or hardware components). If this works, then chances are good it isn't a hardware problem per se but something to do with Vista or what's active when Vista installs. If not, then chances of a hardware problem are increased.

If it has an external monitor adapter or connection (or you can get one rather inexpensively), then try attaching an external monitor to the computer and see if the view is any better. If so, the problem may in fact be the monitor and neither the MOBO or graphics card. However, it could still be either of those two since the connections for the external monitor are different from those of the internal monitor - but it could be an important step in diagnosing the problem.

Adding another graphics card does not seem to be an option. From the specifications Model Content Page, I could not tell if the graphics card is a part of the motherboard or can be removed and replaced. I suppose you either need to contact Toshiba to find out or check the card and motherboard to see if it is in a removable slot or permanently affixed. If removable, one option would be to purchase a replacement (with a guarantee that you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it - not just a replacement, but a full return and refund) that works with your system and version of Vista and exchange them and see if that resolves the problem. If so, the issue is the graphics card and you've just fixed the problem and all is well. If not, then chances are excellent it is not the graphics card, so just replace the original and return the new one for a refund - and you will have essentially eliminated one of the possible causes of the problem. Doing this with the monitor screen or the MOBO won't be quite so easy as you'll need to get them from Toshiba and their return policy may not be as accommodating (to say nothing of the fact that those replacements will be considerably more difficult to install to say the least).

I know of no diagnostic tests for your MOBO or monitor specifically (other than exchanging them with known good ones).

I assume you have tried various personalization settings (themes, colors and appearance, themes, resolutions, DPI settings and everything else related) and that has had no effect. I've checked your Toshiba model and there are no available diagnostic utilities that can be downloaded from the website.

Between these options and those in the link recommended by Richard, let's see where that leaves us and what else, if anything, we can do.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hi Lorien!

Well, yes, I had a 'blonde' moment there. I attached it to a TV and the picture was fine, indicating a faulty screen! Heaven only knows why I didn't think of that int he first place!! Anyway, all your other instrcutions are useful and I have made a note of them!!

Cheers

Rik

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M1201
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    1GB DDR RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 2100
    Sound Card
    Unknown
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200
    PSU
    ATX 250PA
Hi Rik,

That would seem to be the most likely cause. As I mentioned earlier, it still could be the card or the MOBO due to the fact that they use different connections than the external monitor and it could be those connections that are the problem; however, I would put good money on the probability that the problem is the monitor.

I just had something similar happen to me (luckily it was under warranty). It turns out that the monitor is much less than the entire lid - it's a plastic sheet about the consistency of an X-Ray with some wires and attachments. Getting to it was not easy (I watched the technician do it as I have in-home service), and I would not want to do it myself (and I do things like this for a living) - but it obviously is possible with the proper care and the appropriate tools and skills (and hopefully some instructions). I would send it in for repair; however, it's your computer and your risk and your decision.

I'm glad we seem to have most likely found the cause - at least this seems like the correct route given the new information.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

You did good.
Although there were different approaches, both Lorien and I did feel that the screen could be the problem
Wish you luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Gentlemen,

Yes indeed, I have ordered a replacement screen and hope to have it fitted by the beginning on next week.....I shall let you know the outcome!!!

Many thanks for your time..

Rik

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M1201
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    1GB DDR RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 2100
    Sound Card
    Unknown
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200
    PSU
    ATX 250PA
Glad that you found the forum and that we could help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Good luck, Rik. I hope it's a lot easier on your laptop than it was on mine.

Best wishes!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi guys...

Fitted the screen and viola!! Works perfectly!!! Although I did screw 2 screws a tad too far and they have poked the laptop lid!!! lol!! It looks pretty cool (Woooooooops!!!)..........So yes, job done...many thanks again guys!!....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M1201
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    1GB DDR RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 2100
    Sound Card
    Unknown
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200
    PSU
    ATX 250PA
The forum gives you better service than the ones where you have to pay. You get a team at no cost
Good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
It sure does, and it is greatly appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M1201
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    1GB DDR RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 2100
    Sound Card
    Unknown
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200
    PSU
    ATX 250PA
This is a very good forum with lots of info, really good. However i need some help:confused:.
A friend of mine gave me this a205-s4797 Toshiba Satelite to look at. Whenever it reaches the windows logo screen, everything gets jumbled and it just stops booting from there on. I've tried formatting it thinking it's more of a software issue than a hardware, but it does the same thing as it reaches the blue windows screen. I booted it in safe mode once and there was no prob worked fine, but by the time i rebooted it,the same thing happened. Now it's not booting in safe mode either. Any suggestions:huh:

My Computer

Back