Toshiba Satellite

redvette

Hi Gang

I have my neighbors Lap Top a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7469. She was in the middle of an e-mail and the screen froze up, she shut it down and turned it back on and now it will go through the Toshiba Intro, and goes to a blank screen. The cursor will still move so it is not froze up. I have tried the repair and it goes through that and says everything is ok, ha ha ha I tried to do a restore and it will not let me do that. It will not do anything in safe mod either. You click on safe mode and it goes to the blank screen and sits there. I have tried a recovery disk and that does not thing.

It acts like the boot sector is bad. and ideas.? She has a lot of pictures and bank stuff on the HD, so I don't want to lose that.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gang...Just remembered I also ran a Avira scan on it, no change. I also pulled the HD from it and used a cheater cable on it, and the HD runs and I seen all the info on it. All seems intact that way.

Thanx.....Gunny

My Computer

Hey its Gunny

Try to go to last known good configuration from f8. That returns the computer to the last good boot. If that does not work then
How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
we can go through a lot of posts try this and try that etc and at the end it may not work.
Save your stuff
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Then reinstall or do a return to factory specs

So you do know that there are more than just Lorien and me at this forum?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi Rich

Are you sure there are more people than you two.? ha ha ha I wonder.

Ya I tried that, and it went back to the same screen, blank. It just will not go to the Desk Top.

So you are saying the next thing is to dump it.? I can take the files of the HD for her, that is no problem.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

You have been here for a while, if you wait I am sure that you will get other opinions. If it were mine, I would save the files with Ubuntu.

But you can try our standard procedure, first, if you want

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
  • Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.
If you decide to try this and it does not work, get your stuff and move on. In addition
while you were making your second post as I was typing. If you can remove that HD, you can even put it into another computer to save the files.

Summary of 4 choices
Wait and hope for additional advice
Try repair with a start up disc
Save your stuff and use ubuntu then reinstall and/or repair computer.
Get your stuff by putting HD on another computer, then repair computer and/or reinstall

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi Rich

I did the restore disk thing I made up one from the Internet, repair and start up disk for Vista That did nothing. I tried the repair thing with the Vista disk, that did nothing too. I went through the install and it stopped me right after I put in the register #'s. I should have wrote it down. It seemed to be saying it cannot find the version of Vista. I think I will have to take the HD out and format it, then start from scratch. She has a couple of disks that came with the lap Top, and I will see what they are tomorrow.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Some computer companies only give a restore to factory specs partition.
others give a restore DVD (like Dell) too
If you cannot use the restore partition and do not have an install DVD
Call the manufacturer of the computer or where you bought the OS and get a DVD for cost (no key). It will be about $25.00

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi Rich

Ok I understand, I will try those 2 disks she has tomorrow, and see what happens. I will post what I find out tomorrow.

Thanx...Gunny

My Computer

Hi Rich

Well here I am again. Found out the HD was bad, everything else seems to be ok.

While I am thinking of it, something I have been meaning to ask you smart people. CPU's what is the diff between the Core 2 duo and the Duo Core CPU's.? Which is better.?

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP-Pavilion m9280.uk-a
    CPU
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core
    Motherboard
    ASUSTek Computer INC. NARRA3 3.02
    Memory
    3582 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (4 Gig)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS NVIDIA Geforce GTS450
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition 7.1 Audio (HP drivers)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2408 24.0" (Dual monitor)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 * 1200, 1920 * 1200
    Hard Drives
    3*500 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    Plus 2x USB (160Gig each) external HDD
    BluRay & DVD Weiters
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L SCSI CdRom (Bluray RW) Device
    AlViDrv BDDVDROM SCSI CdRom (Blueray) Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom
    Internet Speed
    40 Meg
Hi Lottie

Well lets see you are a new one to me. Ha ha Rich and Lorien are not the only smarties on here.

Thanx I will do some reading on this, why do they have to make it so confusing, it never use to be. :-)

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gang

One question does any one know if that program is still open that if you bought like this Lap Top with Vista installed that if you wanted to go to Win 7 you could get a free version of it.

I remember reading something about this, but it has been some time ago.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

No, that offer is over. The intent was to maintain sales of Computers with Vista preinstalled, during the pre release period of Seven
It was afraid that users would stop buying computers with Vista preinstalled, because they preferred to wait for Seven
The offer was, that if you buy Vista preinstalled between certain dates you were entitled to a free seven upgrade. Retailers were not required to participate.
Free Windows 7 Upgrade

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays