TV Tuner Problem

tqcon

I had no problem using the Hauppauge TV Tuner to play through Windows Media Center for a long time, but recently it no longer works. When I reload the tuner, and try to set up the TV Signal, I immediately get the following message:
"A critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Please restart your computer and try again. If problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance." This I've done several times to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

My Computer

I had no problem using the Hauppauge TV Tuner to play through Windows Media Center for a long time, but recently it no longer works. When I reload the tuner, and try to set up the TV Signal, I immediately get the following message:
"A critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Please restart your computer and try again. If problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance." This I've done several times to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you check in event viewer to see what process has failed and let us know?

To check for freezing/crashing you need to check several things.

Event viewer.
Type eventvwr in search and go to the windows log>application tab & system tabs.
Look for errors. Errors have red in the left hand column.

Look for errors that say app hang, or app crash, or anything related to the problem.
When you find them either take a screenshot of them and upload them to us, or note the event ID and source codes and look them up in google. If you cant find them in google tell us what they are.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
I did as you said, but didn't find any red markers showing any issue. I also tried to setup my internet connection which I said was "Always On". This immediately also gave me an error saying "A process failed". Could this be the issue? If so, how to I have Windows Media recognize my internet connection? Thanks.

My Computer

Back