Unable to get updates or install service packs after system recovery

SVJeff

I'm trying to help a friend whose Compaq Presario C700 laptop was seriously infected. I was able to clean it enough to make recovery discs from the factory recovery partition. I then put a new hard drive in and recovered the system using those discs. After the recovery finished, it boots to Vista Home Premium 32-bit with no service packs. I've tried using Windows Update and it immediately errors out. I have the 32-bit SP1 & SP2 on a CD and neither of them will run.

I'm guessing that this must have happened to others - the inability to update or patch a 'vintage' Vista reinstall and was hoping to find a solution but all my searches have given me nothing that will work. Does anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq Presario C700 laptop

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
The service packs aren't invalid just because Vista is going out of support so it is something with your installation. What is the error?

Thanks for the response. When I run Windows update, it starts with the pink/red bar, saying that I need to make sure I install the latest updates and shows that updates have never been checked, installed, etc. When I click the button to check for updates, it shows the attempt for a second and takes me right back to the initial graphic of the pink/red bar.

Yes, those are the 2 files I have on CD that I tried to install individually. When trying SP1, I get error code 0x8000FFFF and the link with linkid 101139. That led to KB948465 - attempting to install that gave me error 0xc8000247. Trying SP2 simply tells me I need SP1 first.

Over the last 6 months, I've probably restored a half dozen Vista machines. I think all the previous ones were towers and probably all HP Pavilion units. Regardless of what service pack level the recovery returned them to, I've been able to use these same 2 downloaded SP files to bring them current. So, this is a new situation for me but I'm hoping/betting it's not totally unique.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
It sounds like the recovery partition may have been corrupt.

I guess that's possible, but the system made recovery discs flawlessly from the recovery partition, recovered directly from it, and, after both restorations, software was able to be downloaded and installed and updated without error.

Have you tried sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?

Just finished - some corrupt files were found by Windows Resource Protection but Windows was unable to fix some of them

If the product key is legible, it might be simpler to use a http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296167-vista-iso-download.html.

The COA is legible and I have a usable Vista disc, but I was hoping to restore this to factory-new condition for her. She's a retired lady and is used to how this one functions.

I also tried restoring the system from the set of recovery discs she found and brought me yesterday. After that completes, Windows Update does the same thing with the system appearing to check for a sec but then back to the message with the pink/red bar.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
I also tried restoring the system from the set of recovery discs she found and brought me yesterday. After that completes, Windows Update does the same thing with the system appearing to check for a sec but then back to the message with the pink/red bar.

After restoring from her recovery discs, did you try your stand-alone SP1 installer file?
(Make sure to turn off automatic updates, and then restart, before trying.)

You said you replaced the HDD.
My brief consultation with the google showed some correlation between Windows Update, new HDD/drivers, and error code 0xc8000247.
I'd try reinstalling on the original HDD if it still functions.

My Computer

After restoring from her recovery discs, did you try your stand-alone SP1 installer file?

Yes, didn't work. I also tried installing Vista freshly from my AIO disk - also no joy. As much as I hate to do it, I think my only option is looking like putting a fresh install of Win7 on it and then moving her data over.

I was hoping that this was a problem that had a known solution. I refurbish a lot of Win95 through XP systems and occasionally run across a Vista unit. If the inability to update a Vista installation from an original factory partition (or recovery discs) from pre-SP1 days is a common issue, I'm sure I'll run across it again...

You said you replaced the HDD. I'd try reinstalling on the original HDD if it still functions.

That's not an option. This was her husband's laptop and she had been doing a good job of monthly backups, but, when he passed away, she got away from that and has a bunch of data on the drive now that's not saved anywhere else. That's why I had to clean up her drive as much as I could so I could make a set of recovery discs to start from scratch with.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
That's not an option. This was her husband's laptop and she had been doing a good job of monthly backups, but, when he passed away, she got away from that and has a bunch of data on the drive now that's not saved anywhere else. That's why I had to clean up her drive as much as I could so I could make a set of recovery discs to start from scratch with.

I think it is an option.
What was the reason to replace the original HDD unless you were trying to preserve it exactly as-is for some malware analysis? It sounds like you already "cleaned it up" somewhat, so it's no longer as it was, anyway.
Re-install the original HDD.
Back it up (to wherever is convenient for you) to save her data files.
Recover from the factory partition (or her recovery discs).
Now see if you can apply the service packs onto the original system/HDD.

My Computer

Your install is likely corrupt. One option is to do as siw2 explained and perform a repair install, and another is to do a clean install. In either case I recommend going with a fresh ISO download as per post #4. The installation media you created could be corrupt due to either bad discs or a bad source. Be sure to download drivers from the manufacturer's website and make sure that you have the installers for any programs that you need to install.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Your install is likely corrupt. One option is to do as siw2 explained and perform a repair install, and another is to do a clean install. In either case I recommend going with a fresh ISO download as per post #4. The installation media you created could be corrupt due to either bad discs or a bad source.

I did a clean install using the All-In-One disc I already have. I got it from one of the places that offer sets of recovery media for older computers and it includes 32- & 64-bit versions of several Vista flavors, all with SP2. So, granted, I didn't try with a freshly downloaded ISO, but I've done 6-8 fresh installs on a blank hard drive using 4 or 5 different sources and I can't get Vista to run any updates whatsoever on any of them. And using her original hard drive is a non-starter - I need to leave her data intact there in case there's something she realizes she needs down the road but didn't know or think to save at present.

I greatly appreciate all the help. I had hoped that this was going to be a known issue that was resolved in a triad-and-true way, both for her machine and as something I could potentially use in the future. Most of what I do is refurbishing Win98 and Win2K systems for commercial/industrial customers. Occasionally, I'll have an XP request, but Vista is usually too new for my customers, so I'm less familiar with the 'tricks of the trade' for getting Vista current.

I'm going to admit defeat on this project. I have a friend who works on new stuff and he's going to make her laptop a Win7 machine and I'll just install her programs and move her data over to that..

Thanks again!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Just a thought but an install from a disk from a system manufacturer is likely designed only for that manufacturer's computers and possibly for specific models. Such disks shouldn't be used on other systems. A retail disk can be used across multiple manufacturers.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
So since creating this thread you have reinstalled Vista? If so what's the problem with Vista now?

Yes, I have reinstalled 2 or 3 additional times since then. The problems are the same in each case - Windows Update will not connect. It tries for about 1 second and then defaults back to asking me to check for updates. So this is not the issue where it checks forever

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
Just a thought but an install from a disk from a system manufacturer is likely designed only for that manufacturer's computers and possibly for specific models.

Exactly. The recovery disks I'm using are for this specific make and model. And the AIO disk contains several flavors of Vista and isn't manufacturer specific.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
Are you on the internet? Can you pull up a website? Have you checked event viewer? Do you have a third party firewall installed? Have you checked the firewall settings? Have you tried installing the updates I listed manually? Please do so and disconnect from the internet for the install.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Are you on the internet? Can you pull up a website? Have you checked event viewer? Do you have a third party firewall installed? Have you checked the firewall settings? Have you tried installing the updates I listed manually? Please do so and disconnect from the internet for the install.

As I mentioned earlier, there was no problem connecting to the internet after a restore, downloading software, installing it, etc. No idea what event viewer is. No additional firewall added and the firewall settings during all these experiments have been whatever the defaults were - I haven't viewed or changed any of them.

As I've mentioned several times, I tried installing the standalone SP1 and SP2 files from a CD before I made my initial post - that (along with the failure of Windows Update to start) was what prompted me to seek out help from people who know Vista better than I do.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
I'm sorry but unless Windows update is having problems with your network I'm not sure what else would cause your problem to exist across multiple installs. Perhaps it is your installation media not setting it up correctly. I'll try to find someone else to look at your thread. In the meantime here is more information on event viewer. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766042(v=ws.11).aspx I'm sure if you googled it you would find numerous videos on how to use it. Also I strongly suggest that you try downloading the ISO as posted in post 4 and try installing those updates I provided you links for.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Back