uninstall & reinstall optical drive

robert1947

hi, re:faulty optical drive...i have a acer aspire 6930 (vista home premium)..i had a problem with my optical drive and the acer technician told me how to uninstall & then reinstall optical drive and it fixed the problem...i seem to have lost this instruction....would anyone be kind enough to tell me this procedure as the fault has reappeared. this is my first ever computor(3months) and i`ve already had 1 replacement computor(optical drive broken)and 4 crashes with this replacement computor(back to factory settings)!!!! .....is that better than average or is it me?:cry:thanks robert1947:cry:

My Computer

Did you use Device Manager to uninstall the drive
Or did you go into the registry to delete the Upper and Lower filters?

For the Device Manager method, go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then expand the + sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives. Then right click on the drive and select "Uninstall". Reboot to make Windows redetect and reinstall the drive.

For the registry method, try this (there's a FixIt button that will do it automatically for you): Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

My Computer

dear usasma, thanks so much for your reply...i remember now..as soon as you said device manager!..i will also try your other method too.i really do appreciate your help and also help received from shawn but sadly, i myself can`t contribute to your great forums due to my lack of computer experience. thanks again robert1947

My Computer

Back