Unknown Software Exception

CrazyVic

I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 bit. On start up, I'm getting a message about Skype that says:

The exception unknown software exception (0x0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x004f91d0.

I choose ok to close it, then another message pops up saying that Roboform couldn't person a Sethook, or something along those lines.

What is this application location that is causing the issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I need to get Skype up and running again.

My Computer

Do you know when this problem began? Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html. Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points. If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two. NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed and uninstall any software you removed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates.

If that doesn't work, try a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem. Follow the procedures in the article. Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it. Once done be sure to reset Vista back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

Boot into Safe mode with networking and see if the problem occurs there. Either result helps us narrow down the search for the cause.

I hope this helps. If not, post back with results.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hi Lorien,

Thanks for helping with this issue. I tried doing a clean boot, and I still get the error when I attempt to open Skype.

I was going to do a System Restore, and the oldest point I could restore to was 6 days ago, after Service Pack 2 was installed....which got me thinking, this has been going on for just a little less than a week now.

So I'm thinking maybe it had something to do with that Service Pack 2 that was installed a few days ago...before then I hadn't had any issues, and besides 1 other program, which I took off, nothing else has changed since then either.

Any ideas?

My Computer

That being the case, I would suggest you uninstall SP2, reboot, and see if the problem is resolved. If so, we've made progress since we restored Skype and identified the cause of the problem. The next step then would be to figure out how to get SP2 installed without causing a problem for Skype (and that, frankly, is a LOT harder since I'm not at all certain what about SP2 may be causing that issue). All this assuming that SP2 is the culprit - but as you explain things, it certainly seems like a very likely suspect.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling all other updates you've received since SP2 was installed and see if that makes a difference. If that works, then one of those other updates is the culprit and you can re-install SP2 and then do the updates one-by-one, rebooting between each one, until the problem shows up and you'll have found the cause. Install the other updates you removed and confirm things are still fine. Then post the name and KB number of the update that caused the problem and we'll research to find out what might be causing it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try uninstalling Skype and re-installing it again. Yes, I know that means you'll need to reconfigure it all over again but it's the next logical step to try to resolve the problem.

At this point, there are too many ways things could go to recommend next steps for all the possibilities - so let's just stay with these steps for now and post back with results as soon as Skype is working (if any of these options get it to work) or if even re-installing Skype didn't help.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
I just saw on my Windows update that there are 12 important updates needed...last update was yesterday. So I chose to update and I got the error:

Code 80070005 Windows Update Encountered an Unknown Error

not sure if that will help any.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
So I tried a few different things yesterday, but nothing worked.

I tried uninstalling SP2, and it encountered an error and couldn't uninstall everything, I rebooted and the problem was still there...so was SP2, is there any way to force an uninstall?

I then tried updating/reinstalling SP2, no luck.

I uninstalled skype, and it wouldn't install, I got the error again.

I'm not sure what to do now.

My Computer

did you try the standalone SP2 ?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives