• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Update error 80070490

For Service Pack 1.

I've checked around and found a few answers on here but they are all a little different and there doesn't seem to be a generic fix for this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

my concern with the install thing, is when i ask to upgrade it says to back up files.

is that just a general precaution i can ignore, or does it mean that if i don't i will lose everything?

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
OK, lets talk man to man. Anything like this you should back up first, regarldess if your stuff could be lost.

i could be a woman for all you know :D

nah seriously, i don't have anywhere available to store that amount of data. which i guess means i can't resolve it until i do.

roy69

47,65,65,6B
Vista Guru
Gold Member
As a general rule try to keep your data on a separate drive from your system if using a desktop, this will ensure your data is safe if the system fails. If using a laptop then follow the advice given and buy an external USB drive. This will ensure your data is more secure. I use the best of both worlds with my desktop using 2 HD`s and the important data always backed up to an external drive. The initial outlay is worth it if your drives fail.