• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Updates

I know Microsoft has ended automatic updates. I have performed a clean install for someone and would like to update it. My install has SP2 but I know there are more updates up to the time Microsoft stopped. I can go to the catalog and update but I was wondering how everyone was handling this. Is there anything out there that list updates so I know which ones to get from the catalog? Or any other input that might help?

I'm assuming that doing a search for updates normally will not work. Maybe I'm wrong. Will the normal search give me all updates up to the cutoff date?

Last edited:

My Computer

lmacri

Vista Pro
Hi copiman:

Most Vista users performing a clean reinstall now report that Windows Update hangs on "Checking for updates..." as soon as the SP2 service pack is installed, and a workaround is posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours.

Once SP2 is installed you will likely have to pre-install the four required speed up patches listed in STEP # 2 of those instructions [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 and KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017)] to get Windows Update working again. If you have already manually upgraded from Internet Explorer 7 to Internet Explorer 9 you will also have to pre-install speed up patch KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017).

Also note that the instructions in m#l's thread mention that additional speed up patches will have to be pre-installed if you have MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3.

See Davide Bianchini's 15-Oct-2017 post <here> on page 62 of m#l's thread confirming that these speed up patches should fix the "Checking for updates..." hang on a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 and allow Windows Update to detect and install the remaining ~200 required security updates.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MS Office 2003 Professional

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Internet Speed
    5 MBps
Thank you for your help. Worked great. I found something someone may be able to use. I had forgot I found this site some time ago.
Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution

In the beginning of the page it has (Information on Windows Vista can be found on this separate page). I installed all KBs in order and I'm now looking at 207 updates installing. It also has information on Windows 7,8,8.1 as well. Hope this can help someone. Thank you again for your help. By the way, you come highly recommended.

My Computer

lmacri

Vista Pro
Hi copiman:

Glad to hear you got Windows Update working again. Now that you're patched to April 2017 (i.e., the end of extended support for Vista SP2) be sure to read the supplemental thread More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista about five critical out-of-band security updates for Vista SP2 in that were released in June 2017 to patch vulnerabilities for the NSA-leaked exploits EnglishmanDentist, EsteemAudit and ExplodingCan. These updates were not delivered to Vista SP2 machines via Windows Update and standalone .msu installers must be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog and installed manually.

...I found something someone may be able to use. I had forgot I found this site some time ago. Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution
The opening paragraph of the instructions I posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours (where I post as user Great White North) actually notes that workaround is based on Dalai's original solution at Search for Windows Updates Takes Forever? - A Possible Solution.

The five speedup patches I recommend in m#l's thread match the last five speedup patches (KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195, KB4015380 plus KB4014661 if IE9 is installed) on Dalai's Final Update List for Windows Vista. All credit goes to Dalai for posting the original solution and demonstrating that a small subset of updates for the Windows kernel-mode (Win32K.sys) drivers, graphics components and the IE9 browser can fix the "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates on Vista SP2 computers. Dalai was unable to test his recommended speed up patches on his own Win 7 SP1 machine after October 2016 when Microsoft began delivering security updates for Win 7 and Win 8.1 as one large Monthly Rollup, but the Vista SP2 users in ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking continued testing new updates released each Patch Tuesday and were able to show that it is the final five updates in Dalai's list that have the greatest impact for speeding up Windows Update.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MS Office 2003 Professional

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Internet Speed
    5 MBps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)