USB Boot Vista Install "Windows unable find system volume meet criteria"

Luke83

I have already searched the forums and while people have had this error it has not been under the circumstances I have and I am sure lots of others have.

I created a USB boot drive with windows vista on and attempted to install on a laptop with a standard sata drive. It is picked up the in the setup and when I reach the screen of "where do you install windows?" I get the above error.

The problem seems to be as I understand it that the first boot priority is a USB drive and the creators of Vista put in place a rule where only a CD drive or similar can have a higher priority than the disk you wish to install Windows.

On the microsoft support database the article 938984 states that this is by design. Is there a way around this? I have tried the following methods...

1. Burning Plop boot manager to disk and booting to usb through that. Still same message.
2. Used the Diskpart method to create the original USB. The method and USB works perfect and I have also had sucess with Windows 7.
3. Used method 2 on the hard drive I want to install and booted from the hard drive still the same message.
4. Tried making multiple partitions on the drive and installing to them.

The reason I need this on a USB medium and not DVD is...

1. The Vista ISO I have is 7gig big (Both x86 and x64 all versions updated to SP2) (I am going to get Duel Layer)
2. I refurbish laptops and so I am installing different operating systems and having the reliability of a USB drive is amazing.

I also use to great effect Easy2Boot. I have created a custom drive with which I can install Win 7 + 8 from ISO's along with many tools and programs used to solve clients computers. However the 7gig ISO I want to use will not boot so I am reduced to the methods above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Luke

My Computer

Bit of an odd question... I revived an automated e-mail saying S2926 replied to my thread. It tells me the message in the e-mail but I cannot find the reply on here?

I have managed to get my easy 2 boot usb working with the Vista ISO and I am currently installing as we speak. It just needed de-fragging. Feel so silly. But the original problem remains. I tried changing boot order and enabled boot menu at boot and tried to boot from usb but the problem still remained.

Either way thank you S2926 for your reply.

Regards,

Luke

My Computer

Back