• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

userlist in regedit adventure!

Hey guys,

long time windows user, fixing and tinkering was never an issue for me on windows, always other users posting and commenting.

So... two days ago I have a hard drive failure, which still works after a scandisk, format, and reinstall vista. Voila it works again.

Right after the reinstallation I have the problem where I keep getting logged in with a temporary account, and I've never run into this problem before. I thought it would be a smart idea to remove certain parts of the userlist in regedit (computer/hkeylocalmachine/software/microsoft/windowsnt/currentversion/).

except i deleted the entire userlist, included things like network and local and whatnot. now I cannot login, i get the error "user profile service failed to load", and only safemode works.

I don't want to do a system restore, because I'll be back in the situation I was in before, with the temp profile and having to re-download updates. Is there a fast way to... "create" a new userlist registry? I cant create new profiles in control panel/users in safe mode.

I've searched for some documentation on it, but no avail. not sure where to start.

My Computer

SIW2

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Use a boot disc - vista pe or 7 pe will do.

Load the hives with regedit and make any changes you want.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    2gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb