Solved Verifying AHCI mode After Vista 64 Install

I installed an Akasa sata front panel

Akasa PC Front Panel with SATA Data/Power

to Gsata0 (only device, all other drives on sata connectors, including boot drive). In the bios, Gsata was set for IDE mode. I plugged a sata drive into the sata front panel, started the machine and all is well, the drive is fully functional.

I would like to be able to hot swap to the Akasa, so I changed the Gsata setting in the bios to AHCI, and restarted, but it seems to still be running in IDE mode (Dev Mgr shows '2 port Serial ATA storage controller 2-3A26')

Questions:
1) How do I verify AHCI mode for the drive plugged into the sata front panel?

2) If it is still running in IDE mode, how can I force AHCI?

3) Is it advantageous to 'force' AHCI for the drives (including boot) on the other controller (6sata), and would stability issues arise?

Relevant Specs:

Vista Ultimate 64
GA-EP45N-UD3R mainboard, P45
Q9550
(sata6 controller) 4 Seagate sata HDs, 1 DVD
(Gsata controller) Akasa Front Panel with sata drive plugged in

Thanks!
James

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI XL1800
    Sound Card
    xFi Plat
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2405fpw
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate sata
An update to the issue:

After doing a little more research, I found this link:

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

It relates to enabling AHCI after Vista is already installed. No need to go through the process for XP, as is demonstrated here:

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums (for XP, not Vista)

All one needs do in Vista (and only if enabling AHCI for the system drive) is one registry change.

At any rate, I decided to try plugging a sata drive into the Akasa front port with the system running and, lo and behold, auto-play popped right up and offered its options. I opened an explorer window and could see and manipulate the contents of the drive.

So, if anyone wishes to enable AHCI after a Vista install, it's quite simple. Just do it. But remember, if you enable AHCI for the boot drive, you must edit the registry (as in the 1st link) to tell Vista to load the AHCI driver (Msahci.sys) **before** you enable it in the bios.

James

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI XL1800
    Sound Card
    xFi Plat
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2405fpw
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate sata
So, if anyone wishes to enable AHCI after a Vista install, it's quite simple. Just do it. But remember, if you enable AHCI for the boot drive, you must edit the registry (as in the 1st link) to tell Vista to load the AHCI driver (Msahci.sys) **before** you enable it in the bios.

James

I installed an Akasa sata front panel

1) How do I verify AHCI mode for the drive plugged into the sata front panel?

2) If it is still running in IDE mode, how can I force AHCI?

3) Is it advantageous to 'force' AHCI for the drives (including boot) on the other controller (6sata), and would stability issues arise?

Hey James,

AHCI is a mode of both IDE and SATA, You can force it by using RAID without causing side effects for the other devices since it updates all connected devices ;)

I guess it depends on the motherboard drivers being able to autoswitch, I can switch AHCI mode on or off my boot drive without having to change registry keys using Vista, however the current build of Windows 7 beta build 6801 doesn't support that yet :(

Steven

My Computer

Hey James,

AHCI is a mode of both IDE and SATA, You can force it by using RAID without causing side effects for the other devices since it updates all connected devices ;)

I guess it depends on the motherboard drivers being able to autoswitch, I can switch AHCI mode on or off my boot drive without having to change registry keys using Vista, however the current build of Windows 7 beta build 6801 doesn't support that yet :(

Steven

I haven't yet tried enabling it for the boot drive (on a non-raid controller), perhaps it will work. Regardless, the 'fix' is simple enough. I may pick up another Akasa to give me the ability to quickly use different system drives (not hot swap, of course). It would be nice to find some kind of dock to safely hold whatever HD i'm using at the moment.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI XL1800
    Sound Card
    xFi Plat
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2405fpw
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate sata
Another update:

I just followed the MS method (for Vista) linked to above. All is well, no apparent negative issues.
Although I tried just enabling it in the bios, it wouldn't boot into windows, so I did have to edit the registry (just one simple edit...). After the regedit, I rebooted, Vista loaded the drivers, which required another restart and, as stated, no issues.

James

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI XL1800
    Sound Card