Virus keeps shutting down my laptop

Simmo212

I was on a torrent website and I clicked on a link to download a torrent.
As soon as I'd clicked it a message appeared on the screen.
I can't remember exactly what it said but it was along the lines of "blah blah is about to initiate an attack on your computer..." with an option to click "continue" or "do nothing".
I didn't click on either option and the laptop shut down after about 30 seconds.
Now everytime I turn it on it shuts down again.
The time varies as to how long it takes to shut down, normally lasting a bit longer if it's been off for longer but never long enough for my virus checker to complete.
Could anybody please help me out?

Many thanks

My Computer

Welcome
We may have to eventually enlist the help of our security staff, but lets see if we can get you up and going, now.

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD.
Hard Disc Controller must be set to IDE in BIOS and Bios must be set to boot from the CD Boot Priority - Change

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options. Choose an option tht will not cause you to lose your stuff.

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
  • Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows
Worst case scenario, we will have to reinstall, but we are a long way from that.
Bottom line, we can get you up and running.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Do I need to have The vista installation DVD to create the recovery disc? Or is there a way around that? As i don't have mine with me :huh:

My Computer

No you create the recovery disc, from a download. They are not install DVDs, but help you to recover from the recent disaster.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I followed the "create recovery dvd" link you posted in your first comment and it says I need the vista installation cd to run the recovery disc program initially, then switch to a cd to create the recovery disc.
My knowledge of computers is quite limited so you'll have to bear with me sorry.

My Computer

I think for you, if you do not have stuff you do not want to lose, use option one.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html
If you do have stuff that you want to save first, post.

I am sorry, I know this seems like a lot to do, but lets go slow. We will help.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you do not have stuff to save, give me your computer make and model. There may be an much easier way.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
The computer is a toshiba - satellite pro L300D - 20R system unit.

I have files containing all my university work, music etc which I don't want to lose, I am trying to back it up onto my external hard drive but the virus keeps shutting the computer down so it's taking a while to do.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
OK Good, lets try what is called a factory reinstall. You will be back like the day you took the computer home.

The manual states that you should press and hold down the 0 (zero) key while powering on the laptop.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I tried the factory reinstall but it didn't do anything but make a beeping noise when I held down the 0 key.

I managed to obtain a recovery cd to perform the reinstall but everytime I try it the virus shut downs the laptop before it can reach the end.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I've already changed the boot priority to boot from the cd.
it does boot from the cd, but when it gets into the reinstall process the laptop doesn't last long enough for it to complete.

My Computer

Do you hear any beeps during or just before the shutdown, during boot maybe?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays