vista 64 drivers for viewcon usb midi cable

commandre

hi all, i bought a cheap usb midi cable from ebay and (like everyone else) while it works fine in XP i've headaches getting it going in vista. when i plug it in (after uninstalling drivers) it looks for drivers and then comes up with a "failed" status. in device manager it is called VIEWCON.. and has the message "the device cannot start (code 10)". (further searches for viewcon came up unhelpful).

there is a thread (YakYak • View topic - USB MIDI interface and vista) where someone had a solution that worked for most people, but it would seem they were running vista 32 because using the alternate (ROMiO) drivers suggested in the post i get the message:

"the folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. if the folder contans a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems."

IE, it's a 32 bit driver, while i'm running vista (home premium) 64.

i looked at the device info in win xp (32) device manager while it was plugged in:

USB AUDIO DEVICE
device type: sound, video and game controllers
manufacturer: (generic usb audio)

DRIVERS:
provider: microsoft
date: 1/07/2001
version: 5.1.2535.0
signer: microsoft windows publisher

Driver details:
in windows\system32\drivers\:
drmk.sys
ks.sys
portcls.sys
stream.sys
USBAUDIO.sys

in windows\system32\:
ksproxy.ax
ksuser.dll
wdmaud.drv

some other bits:
matching device Id:
udb\class_01

compatible Ids:
usb\class_01&subclass_01&prot_00
usb\class_01&sybclass_01
usb\class_01

any clues on where i can go from here? would there be another driver somewhere i can convince vista to use?

all help appreciated.

My Computer

great! it worked!

well after 30 attempts i had to go the "have disc" route and point it at the .inf file.

so if anyone tries to 'update driver' then 'browse' youll just get the 'windows has the best driver installed' message which was bloody frustrating!

My Computer

Back