Vista 64 video camera (firewire) drivers

deathwinger

Hey, everything is going great for me in vista64 so far. Just one problem. I am unable to digitize footage with my video camera in vista 64, the camera is not picked up, or if it is, when I try to capture, it fails after a few seconds. However, it works perfectly in vista 32. So I can only suspect that its the OS thats giving trouble as my firewire port and drivers for my system seem to be working perfectly in vista 32.

Is there any new updates for vista 64 that may cover this issue or is there any way that I can bring it to Microsoft's attention so that they may work on a solution?

Thanks in advance.

My Computer

Your camera may require 64bit drivers to communicate.
Think it as a analog singal to Digital (may not be the correct analogy) but the two arw complely different.
I had to purchase a new digital web cam as the 5 others i had would NOT work in 64bit.

I hope this helps

Regards Sentar

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair matched RAM (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS EAH8870 512mb
    Sound Card
    M/B (ADI AD2000B) Onboard Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 19: Wide AOC 917Wx
    Screen Resolution
    1400x900
    Hard Drives
    c: 320GB Seagate SATA single Platter
    RAID installed 4 x SATA Seagate NQC 250Mb drives (2 x set to Raid 1 and 2 x set to Raid 0),
    External Seagate 320 Welland SATA
    PSU
    ZALMAN ZM850-HP modular
    Case
    Gigabyte Poseidon GZ-XA1CA
    Cooling
    Std CPU and M/B with additional 3 x Fans
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless 1000 with mouse
    Mouse
    MS Optical 2000 with Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL Max down 128 up
    Other Info
    This is a custom system that I researched and built
Well this isn't exactly a $50 dollar webcam. This is more like a $5000 Canon XH G1 Professional Camera and I do video infomercials, weddings, advertisements, etc. for a living.

It would be in my best interest to get my camera working for x64 and would like to get into contact with Microsoft or relay the message to them somehow to get this camera working in Vista x64 because it works perfectly in Vista 32bit and I would like the ability to use the power that x64 gives my computer.

My Computer

I was just pointing out some of the pitfalls that can happen.
It is NOT Microsoft that you will need to deal with BUT Canon, it is they who will have to provide the 64bit drivers.
Also what video editing software are you using because the Canon drivers are only the start, to get the full benifit of 64 bit your video editing software should also be a 64bit version.

I know it sounds easy but there are a number of botlenecks that can impeede the faster speed of processing.

Regards Carl

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair matched RAM (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS EAH8870 512mb
    Sound Card
    M/B (ADI AD2000B) Onboard Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 19: Wide AOC 917Wx
    Screen Resolution
    1400x900
    Hard Drives
    c: 320GB Seagate SATA single Platter
    RAID installed 4 x SATA Seagate NQC 250Mb drives (2 x set to Raid 1 and 2 x set to Raid 0),
    External Seagate 320 Welland SATA
    PSU
    ZALMAN ZM850-HP modular
    Case
    Gigabyte Poseidon GZ-XA1CA
    Cooling
    Std CPU and M/B with additional 3 x Fans
    Keyboard
    MS Wireless 1000 with mouse
    Mouse
    MS Optical 2000 with Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL Max down 128 up
    Other Info
    This is a custom system that I researched and built
I was just pointing out some of the pitfalls that can happen.
It is NOT Microsoft that you will need to deal with BUT Canon, it is they who will have to provide the 64bit drivers.
Also what video editing software are you using because the Canon drivers are only the start, to get the full benifit of 64 bit your video editing software should also be a 64bit version.

I know it sounds easy but there are a number of botlenecks that can impeede the faster speed of processing.

Regards Carl

Using Premiere Pro CS3 and soon CS4 as I understand that takes full advantage of 64bit processing. I emailed Canon about it and they said the support for the camera is going to have to come from Microsoft. It might be true as well because I also tried to use a buddy's Sony A1U to do some digitizing and got the same issue, but works great in 32bit vista.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to contact Microsoft without having to pay 60 bucks to email them but if I can guarantee that they can fix the problem based on my email I will willingly spend the cash to do so. For now, I will just dual boot 32bit and digitize from there. The workflow does not decrease too much because the switching does not take long but still...it would be nice to eventually do everything under one roof. :)

Thanks for all your assistance though. :D

My Computer

Back