Vista Codec Package v4.2.7 Released. Vista x64 Support Improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightWatcher

Well, now that I've installed the latest 2/16/2007 Windows x64 Components of VCP 4.2.7 (which should now be given its own version system since you no longer need to install VCP 4.2.7) I can now watch the few Xvids I have using Media Center. The only thing I have an issue with the green 'nigh vision' effect I get when I try to enable resizing. Otherwise, it's looking good so far. Get it here.

"It is 5.57 MB and improvements to this package are now completed. This release is stable and fully compatible with the 32bit codecs installed by the Vista Codec Package. It is fully uninstallable through the Windows interface. The x64Components are no longer dependant on the Vista Codec Package for support files. I have made it into a fully functional standalone installer which may be included in an unattended environment using the switch: -ai
Last Updated February 16, 2007

A CLEAN INSTALLATION IS REQUIRED - DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE FEB 16th RELEASE

Latest updates include subtitles in MediaCenter. To enable subtitle displays in x64players [MediaCenter] go into the VistaCodecs\64bit Tools folder and open the Gabest Direct Vobsub icon. Go to the General TAB and under Loading select Always load. I recommend you do not leave it set to this because in my testing, this setting also inhibits some DivX movies from functioning properly. Selecting Load when needed doesnt work in x64players.

You can expect ongoing x64 support as the rest of the world catches up to 64bit computing.

This addon will not install on a x86 systems."

My Computer

How can I play avi files in media center on a vista ultimate (64bit) computer? - it wont play them - I thought avi was one of the main video file types.

I will be greatful for any help.

My Computer

How can I play avi files in media center on a vista ultimate (64bit) computer? - it wont play them - I thought avi was one of the main video file types.

I will be greatful for any help.

.avi is only the extension of the file, so the os knows it is a video file. But it dependes on what codec was used to originally code the film. So, to be able to play it the correct codec has to be installed.

The above codec pack should be capable of playing most, if not all of the more popular codecs.codec link

Last edited:

My Computer

Is this really any good? Or is it bloatware like most of the others?

I see that it uses FFDSHOW which is reported as working well with Vista.

My Computer

^^
Am using this currently and it works quite well :)
Certainly not Bloatware .... its 5MB lol :)
Make sure u set Windows Media Player 64-bit as ur default player.(Guide in tips n tricks Section).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
Yeah it's good. I installed it after I read the review on Softpedia. :D

I did try and run WMP 64-bit with a XviD file and it only played the audio. So I'm assuming the trick you mention should fix this?

My Computer

^if it only played the Audio it means Video codecs arent properly installed.
I still think u ran the 32-bit WMP.
make sure u run the one in "C:\Program Files\..." and not " C:\Program Files(x86)\....".

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
Yeah I ran the 64 bit version. I installed the 64 bit version of the Vista Codec Pack too.

I'm downloading the latest version now.

My Computer

^^hmm strange coz its working perfectly for me.
Tried the Latest version yet??

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
I ran the WMP sideshow gadget that's located in the 64-bit version's directory, after running that it plays XviD and everything else but it keeps playing even when I close WMP11, as in plays the audio in the background until I reopen WMP11 and press stop. :S

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
lol, I don't even know where the gadget is! haha it's certainly not on my screen.

Logitech finally released some proper drivers for Vista x64 so I can stop play with my keyboard now, not much of a stretch.

My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back