Vista Firewire Issue(s)

Holmis1975

Hello im getting pretty tired of having to fight Vista on every turn.

Since an update some time ago my Firewire external HDD, My FireDTV-S and my Firewire camera is not found by windows vista on a normal boot up where units are connects to the PC.
I have tried following fix from MS without any luck.

To work around this problem, for non-compliant IEEE 1394a devices, configure Windows Vista to enumerate inactive IEEE 1394 devices. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{6BDD1FC1-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\ControllerInstance
In this path, ControllerInstance represents the controller instance number. For example, this number may be 0000.
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
4. In the New Value #1 box, type EnumerateInactiveLink, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click EnumerateInactiveLink, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

If when the PC is started up i dont see the device in device manager, i the unplug and replug the devices and voila Vista finds new devices.

Now i dont want to have to unplug my hdd, or floppy dtv everytime i boot my PC. so whats up with Vista can i get a fix or refund the darn thing is a constant problem.
I have also a Ubuntu and a Windows XP home ed. and i have tried moving my things to thoose machines and reboot warm and cold 100 times without any issues at all just Vista wont support Firewire anymore unless i unplug and replug after boot.

I had to be sure so i made support tickets with Asus for MB N4m21-E and WD hdd and Digital everywhere for the issue and after extensive trouble shooting they all point to VISTA as the cause to the problem.

Now can we get a fix or can someone tell me how to fix this, this is not random issue its constant since 1-1½ month ago after auto patching system.

All drivers are the most recent, beta drivers testet on all devices but without any difference they are just not detected.

Sitting with a Kubuntu cd and XP pro CD in my hands and im ready to quite vista for good, :sa: but hey i might be surprised by this forum.

Thanks for anyhelp.

My Computer

Hello Holmis,

Welcome to the Vista Forums.

When this first happened, you could have done a system restore to the point before the update was installed. If you have a restore point that goes back that far, it is still an option, but you will lose any programs that have been installed since then. This would remove that update. Info here if it is an option: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html.

The only recourse that I know of at this point may be a reinstall. Be sure to back up all your personal files, email etc. If a factory computer, then there is usually a recovery partition with info on how to do the reset to factory, see the manual that came with the comp. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Either way, when you do updates, install only one or two at a time so that you can figure out which one, if any, is causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5
Hi Garysgold and thanks for your reply.

However this goes agaist any common sence i can think of like getting a flat tire on your car and the mechanic tells you to rebuild your entire car from scratch or enjoy and old photo of your car prior to the flat tire and dispose of the car.

If i where so lucky to find out what update caused this i could roll back but then i have to disable all form of auto updates and a pc running 24x7 thats not an option and not recommended from MS.

If i where to reinstall and install every patch 168 in total 1 by 1 i would be lucky to be finished about xmas 2010.

Its just not good enough from MS to not be able to point out the registry strings aand perhaps rebuild with .nfo fil the Firewire settings to default (like XP or something).

there must be a better way to do this, and besides i have reinstalled twice and after auto update has run its course its the same story.

Cheers hopefull for better replyes.

My Computer

Hi Gary and thanks for reply.

This makes no sence im sorry to say thats not good enough and has been tried.

Like if you have a flat tire on your car and the mechanic tells you sorry please rebuild your car .... :-) nice.

If i where to restore i would have same issue after next auto update and having a machine online 24x7 you cant be serious with not to install updates asap and with auto feature on.

If i where to rebuild again and patch 1 by 1 , with all 168 patches currently on vista i would be done about xmas 2010.

There must be some serious MS people here know what registry entries to delete and maybe even replace the entries with XP ones.

How come a XP system fully patched works fine and a Vista (newer) System fully patched is just a big bowl of humbug?

I got a MCSE on Windows 2000 server and workstation so im not totally blank and i know it can be fixed and i dont accept the , please use system restore cd, or reinstall optiong thats just not good enough and it should not be for any user.

No offence but i hope for better replyes , restoring and/disabling updates is not an option sorry.

My Computer

Back