Solved vista network problem

gagada

Just returned from holiday and while we were away I changed my laptop network in vista from private to public as advised and the internet worked fine.
Now at home I can’t connect to my router, and I get a message saying that the details held on the computer is not the same as the router. Also there is no “customise” function being shown on the network and sharing centre screen to switch back to private network. I’ve tried everything to set up a connection, even a new one, but the same message appears all the time.
PLEASE can someone help?
:cry:

My Computer

Just returned from holiday and while we were away I changed my laptop network in vista from private to public as advised and the internet worked fine.
Now at home I can’t connect to my router, and I get a message saying that the details held on the computer is not the same as the router. Also there is no “customise” function being shown on the network and sharing centre screen to switch back to private network. I’ve tried everything to set up a connection, even a new one, but the same message appears all the time.
PLEASE can someone help?
:cry:
Hello gagada, and welcome to Vista Forums!

Please, what type of connection are you talking about? Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Cheers!
Robert

My Computer

Hi Robert
It's wireless
Well ... I have taken my laptop with me when staying in a motel ... used the "Public" wireless while there, but did not have an issue connecting when home again ... hmmm

I am curouis, when you click on the "Network" icon, bottom right of screen (next to sound icon), do you get a screen like this with the signal from your wireless router?

wireless_02.jpg

If so, can you connect?

I can think of several ways to "refresh" the settings, one way is to shut down the laptop, shut down the router, then shut down the ISP modem (what ever kind it is), then restart the modem and let it complete booting, restart the router and let it complete booting, restart the laptop and see if it and the router rediscover themselves.

Another thing that has worked is to use the built in "wifi switch" (most laptops have a way to switch off the wifi) to disable the wifi, then switch it back on again and see if it can discover your router.

Something else to try is to open an 'elevated command prompt' and type the command: ipconfig /release
then hit enter

when that has finished type the command ipconfig /renew
and ht enter.

Allowing Vista Network Diagnostics to repair your connection does this also...

This MS link has info for Vista (near the bottom of the page) on the command netsh winsock reset which may help if ipconfig /renew does not work.

Please let us know if you need any help with any of these commands?

Hope this helps?
Robert

My Computer

I've also taken my laptop on holiday before and never had this problem!
Could it be that the routers were the same - Netgear on holiday and mine is a netgear?
Yes I do get a screen like that and it says signal strength is excellent, but when I connect it says "details held on computer does not match router"
Have tried all you suggest and no difference.
Now thinking of deleting all my network connections (If I can find out how!!!!!) and starting again. What do you think?
By the way if I connect the laptop to the router with a cable it works fine.

My Computer

I've also taken my laptop on holiday before and never had this problem!
Could it be that the routers were the same - Netgear on holiday and mine is a netgear?
Yes I do get a screen like that and it says signal strength is excellent, but when I connect it says "details held on computer does not match router"
Have tried all you suggest and no difference.
Now thinking of deleting all my network connections (If I can find out how!!!!!) and starting again. What do you think?
By the way if I connect the laptop to the router with a cable it works fine.
It would seem by your statements that the issue is only with wifi security, so deleting all network connections would be overkill, but might resolve the issue.

Before I would do that, I would suggest you (temporarily) set you router wifi security to none, disable, and see if the laptop can access the Internet the way it does on cable.

If that works, I would try creating a new wifi security password (or key) in the router utility, and replacing the old password in the laptop with the new one to see if secured access can be restored. You should be using the WPA2-PSK (or Personal) type of security encryption in the router and laptop. Hopefully that will restore "matching details" and get you going again.

Cheers!
Robert

My Computer

Tried nearly all the things you suggested but no luck.So it was either delete all my connections and then try to reconnect to my home router OR throw the laptop at the wall.
I decided on the first one.
It was easier than I thought - I just wiped out all connections and set the laptop to search for wireless connections.It found mine and was up and running in about 10 minutes. (or was I just LUCKY).
Anyway thanks for all your help and suggestions they were much appreciated.

My Computer

Tried nearly all the things you suggested but no luck.So it was either delete all my connections and then try to reconnect to my home router OR throw the laptop at the wall.
I decided on the first one.
It was easier than I thought - I just wiped out all connections and set the laptop to search for wireless connections.It found mine and was up and running in about 10 minutes. (or was I just LUCKY).
Anyway thanks for all your help and suggestions they were much appreciated.
Glad to know you are back in business! Thanks!

Happy surfing!
Robert

My Computer

Back