Solved Vista Not Starting Up

I am having a problem starting a computer running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. It goes to the loading screen (the one with the green bars sliding towards the right) and goes to disk check. The disk check freezes when it gets to 61% and it freezes if I try to skip it.

Vista will not boot even in Safe Mode. When it gets to loading files it loads some and stops at crcdisk.sys. It won't go any further no matter how long I leave it.

The computer recently crashed and when I was trying to do a Factory Restore. I set it to save all the files on the computer and then reinstall Windows but it came up with an error and Windows would no longer load.

I got a USB HDD reader to check if any files were still on the disk, but there was nothing. One thing that I thought was strange:
When the computer freezes and I take a look at the hard disk light on the bottom of the laptop, it says that the computer is reading the disk (at least, it stays on) and blinks in a rhythmic pattern. But when I put my ear to the hard disk, it doesn't seem to be spinning at all.

If anyone has some advice, please let me know, as I need the computer up and running soon. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    TOSHIBA Satellite A200 -FEO
    CPU
    Intel Centrino 2
    Memory
    1014MB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB HDD
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    HID-compliant mouse, PS/2 Compatible Mouse
First of all crcdisk.sys Is a Core Driver and it is the Longest Driver to load also it is the Last so it may Take some time How long have you been waiting? 5 Minutes should be the Most you should wait for it, On average it should take 30 Seconds to Load that Driver

Also when you say "Crash" Did you get a Blue Screen? What exactly happen this information is Crucial for me to Diagnose and attempt to Repair your Computer

Many Thanks,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
Sorry for not posting earlier, but I think I might have found the problem. When I was using the TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard and was trying to reinstall Windows it came up with an error. I looked the error up on Google and apparently I have a faulty hard disk.

Does this mean I'll have to get a new drive, or is there any way for me to fix it?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Centrino 2
    Memory
    1014MB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB HDD
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
Looks Like you may need a new HDD What error did you receive So I can Research it

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Centrino 2
    Memory
    1014MB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB HDD
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
It kind of... what do you call it? The blue hard disk light stays on and once in a while it blinks and makes the kind of sound you get when you're trying to load a file. You know, the kind of crunchy-ish sound. And it's only for like half a second, too.

I think I'll just go down to the local electronics shop and get myself a new hard disk. It'll save me the trouble of spending a lot of time trying to fix it. Thanks for everything!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Centrino 2
    Memory
    1014MB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB HDD
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
OK, I just got a new HDD (250GB) for my computer, pressed the 0 key while booting up and did a complete Factory Restore and Vista is up and running again. Thanks for your help, everyone!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Centrino 2
    Memory
    1014MB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    250GB HDD