Vista "Sleep" and "Hibernate" problem

ccantare

I have an HP Pavilion and cannot get the machine to power down into Sleep Mode or Hibernation. When I first bought this PC the middle of last year I remember reading after my first Windows Update that the feature might be lost as a result of the Windows Updating process. However, as the months have gone by and more and more apps having been installed and loaded on to this machine, it now takes longer for it to boot up. I always liked the Hibernate feature on my old Windows XP machine, but since I lost the Sleep and Hibernation features on this machine and realized why they were gone shortly after having purchased it, I just went ahead with complete shut downs and cold boots. At this point though I'm pretty tired of the extended waits for the machine to boot up all the time so I would like to know if it's possible, and if so, how, I might get the Sleep or Hibernate features back on this machine.

I wasn’t sure what other Section to post this message in since I don’t see an applicable Heading, so I went with the General Folder.

My Computer

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hello Ccantare,

You might look through the items in this tutorial below to see if it may be able to help you determine why your computer is not going to sleep.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My friend, God love you, but that's twice you've helped me in less than a week, so thank you very much. I had just given up on the Sleep or Hibernate Options. Previously when I would try it the machine would start going into a power down mode, and just as it reached the shut-down point it would power back up, which was very aggravating. I tinkered with the Settings, but nothing worked. However, I just followed the instructions for Step 8 to attempt getting the Hibernation feature to work, and it actually did the trick --I confess I was a bit stunned. I thought for sure I had some sort of component issue problem, in other words, a component that wouldn't power down and kept causing the machine to power back up, but that wasn't the case at all apparently.

It takes this machine a little longer to come out of Hibernation than it did my older Windows XP PC, but I'm glad it works.

If there's any way I can somehow return the favor, please let me know and I'll be happy to try and oblige.

Regards

My Computer

You're welcome Ccantare.

No need to return any favor. I'm just happy to hear that it is working for you now. That is all I need. :)

Hello Ccantare,

You might look through the items in this tutorial below to see if it may be able to help you determine why your computer is not going to sleep.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My friend, God love you, but that's twice you've helped me in less than a week, so thank you very much. I had just given up on the Sleep or Hibernate Options. Previously when I would try it the machine would start going into a power down mode, and just as it reached the shut-down point it would power back up, which was very aggravating. I tinkered with the Settings, but nothing worked. However, I just followed the instructions for Step 8 to attempt getting the Hibernation feature to work, and it actually did the trick --I confess I was a bit stunned. I thought for sure I had some sort of component issue problem, in other words, a component that wouldn't power down and kept causing the machine to power back up, but that wasn't the case at all apparently.

It takes this machine a little longer to come out of Hibernation than it did my older Windows XP PC, but I'm glad it works.

If there's any way I can somehow return the favor, please let me know and I'll be happy to try and oblige.

Regards

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
That's really odd --it went into Hibernation mode just fine twice, but I've tried it three times after that, and just as it reaches the shut-down point it powers back up again, so I'm going to have to troubleshoot this some more when I get the time and will get back to you.

My Computer

Welcome to Vista Forums, ccantare.

I'm not sure if this applies to hibernate, but it was a problem for sleep for me. Rt. click on computer/manage/device manager. Right click on your network card/s and select properties. On the power management tab, make sure allow this device to wake the computer is unchecked.

Hope this helps.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5
I typed in powercfg -a at the Command Prompt (STEP THREE: Check Sleep State in BIOS) after making sure my settings as outlined were all correct, and got back the following response at the User Prompt:

============================================================
The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S1 S3 ) Hiber
nate Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
============================================================

Does this mean I'm out of luck with the Hibernate feature on this machine? If so, I'm afraid I'm going to get the same type of response if I choose Sleep.

My Computer

Welcome to Vista Forums, ccantare.

I'm not sure if this applies to hibernate, but it was a problem for sleep for me. Rt. click on computer/manage/device manager. Right click on your network card/s and select properties. On the power management tab, make sure allow this device to wake the computer is unchecked.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Okay, now that, interestingly enough, appears to have done the trick. One of my Network adapters (the first one listed of two) did have "Allow this device to wake the computer" checked, and after unchecking it I was able to successfully put the machine into a Hibernation state three separate times thus far without it powering back up as soon as it finished shutting down.

Thank you very much, Gary. I Hadn't reached that part of the Troubleshooting List yet. I just hope it continues to work.

Thanks again to you too, Brink. I appreciate the help guys.

My Computer

Back