Vista stop me opening a .exe file

codeyla

Quick question (hopefully): How do I stop Vista from stopping me from opening my own files...?

Basically, I'm trying to use Audacity, but a friend has a version with an alternative UI, and he kindly sent his version to me, to see if it would make a difference, but I couldn't move/open the .exe file in the .zip he sent, because Vista deemed it potentially harmful.

My Computer

When you say 'Vista deemed it potentially harmful' are you talking about Defender?
If you have an AV installed on your system, right click the zip to check if there are no viruses/malware in it.

My Computer

Right click the file and select Properties, sometimes there is a "Block" placed on files coming from other computers and you can Unblock it from there.

Example of Blocked file and "Unblock" in File Properties.

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
Hi,

If vista is blocking you from running a Exe u first need to check wheter you have any AV or any ani-spy where you first need to check whether they are blocking this software from running. If not try right clicking on the file and select run as adminitrator.

Hope this helps

Cheers !!

Quick question (hopefully): How do I stop Vista from stopping me from opening my own files...?

Basically, I'm trying to use Audacity, but a friend has a version with an alternative UI, and he kindly sent his version to me, to see if it would make a difference, but I couldn't move/open the .exe file in the .zip he sent, because Vista deemed it potentially harmful.

My Computer

Back