Vista Ultimate x64 Antivirus

I'm not looking to start a debate about which AV is the best or worse. But in the last 5 years symantec has caused more harm then its prevented. Its common practice to eradicate it in favor of either NOD32, Avast or Avira when its found infecting any system that crosses our bench. I know they have contracts with the military and all that but people fail to realise that when you buy a symantec product your not getting the same product the military gets. you get the one the fries your system. Past prejudices are not an issue. Everytime I come accros symantec its causeing problems and missing threats.

Its day is done.

If you profess to be IT literate, then I thank god you aren't my techno bloke, that message is the biggest load of tripe I've witnessed on this forum,

You really don't know what you're talking about. In the last 2 years Norton is a completely rejuvenated product, getting good write ups, lightweight on resources, quick and quiet, you don't notice it there.

You need a refresher course, in up to date computer applications, you're 5 years out of date.

My Computer

In regards to the Norton query.

I had tp get it off a PC just today. It freaked out on the ladies 2 year old e-machine and loaded 186 proceses. The machine had a Celeron to add insult to injury. Removing Norton reduced here to 33 running proceses and returned her to the wonderful world of emailing her family.

Symantec needs to close up and disappear. They lost my trust forever about 4 years ago.

What year was the Norton,?

Norton doesn't load processes, thats the OS.

4 years ago, and you've not bothered to check for improvements since then, rather lackadaisical, I like to keep up-to-date, applications move on, like OS's, you have to keep up with new applications, especially if they are a vast improvement on what used to be, living in the past is not really sensible in the world of computing.

Past prejudices rarely are a help in problem solving, it closes the mind to other possibilities.

Neither is endless name calling. you have yet to post a SINGLE fact or spec in any of your posts. You use the "discredit the messenger" tactic rather than the "here are the benefits" tactic.

Mkae sure you correct my typos though as that will give you a false sense of superiority. I rather enjoy it since you do it for free. I have to pay my regular editors so the freebies will be a breath of fresh air.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    nForce 790i Ultra SLI(evga)
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 e-GeForce 9800GX2(SLI mode)
    Hard Drives
    WD1500AHFD
    (Raptor 150 GB 10,000 RPM)
Neither is endless name calling. you have yet to post a SINGLE fact or spec in any of your posts. You use the "discredit the messenger" tactic rather than the "here are the benefits" tactic.

Norton speaks for itself, the main fact is, it works, and remember I posted a site for you to read reviews by people with far more intelligence and savvy than Joel,

When false information is being given, the "messenger" needs to be discredted,

Stop patting him on the back, he doesn't deserve it.

My Computer

ok....i take back what i said about norton 2008. its crashing on a full system scan and tech support says re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-install. they can go Fup themselves. I have better things to be doing!

Fup = the "p" has the STRONGEST "K" sound you can muster with your mouth! lol

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K-E WIFI P35
    Memory
    8GB DDR2 667MHZ KINGSTON
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB G
    Hard Drives
    1 x Western Digital 500GB 16MB SATA2
Sorry to hear your having trouble. But it seems that since this debate started I have been getting creamed with systems loaded with Norton 2007 & 08 that are just crashing all over the place. I spend more time killling infections courtesy of norton then the zlob trojans.

Really scary. So if your one of the few lucky ones that Norton works for.

Play the lottery.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    My Ever Changing Whim!
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9650
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ35JO
    Memory
    6GB Corsair DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS 9800GT Ultimate
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19 inch Sceptre 19 inch Acer
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    1 320GB Seagate SATA
    1 250GB Western Digital SATA
    1 200GB Maxtor SATA
    2x160GB Western Digitals SATA
    1 320GB Seagate External
    1 120GB Western Digital External
    1 80GB Westen Digital External
    1 4GB Crucial Flash Drive for Ready Boost
    PSU
    600watt Fortron Source
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Fresh Air
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonamic 4000
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback
    Other Info
    My main rig runs Vista Ultimate or Server 2008. Depending on which Acronis image I decide to load.
Just for the record, ESET's Nod32 Antivirus and Smart Security products are true 64-bit programs and will automatically be installed in ones Program Files folder.

Bullsheit. NOD32 is a *32 bit program.

Don't be fooled. I just installed it, and immediately dumped it.

Cheers.

SO FAR:

KAV claims x64, but is *32 = garbage.
Sophos claims x64, but is *32 = garbage.
NOD32 claims x64, but is *32 = garbage.
AVAST claims x64, but is *32 = garbage.
AVG claims x64, but is *32 = garbage.
Zone Alarm x64 (no longer available)

eTrust (CA) ??? Anyone know?
MS Live OneCare ??? Anyone know?
McAfee ??? Anyone know?
Norton ??? Anyone know?

When I find out, I'll post an update..

Jeez. It's worse than pulling teeth.

Ummm....just what is your problem here?
You keep ranting about "true 64bit AV" and claim that any AV product that shows any section of it's processes as *32, you immediately claim it's "GARBAGE" and they're LIARS because it's not a TRUE 64bit Program!!!!

Settle down dude, and please don't frighten the less savvy with this total nonsense. The 64bit versions of those programs you list run perfectly well and there is NO COMPRIMISE of security because of a part of their processes running in 32bit mode.

You'd probably be surprised to know that just about every AV products actual scanning engine is still running in 32bit mode...even the ones you list as being True 64bit..

If you have some FACTS to back up your claims that these programs are, in ANY WAY, comprimising user's security then please POST THEM and allow us to blow them out of the water. Until then....PLEASE...stop scaring the members!!
Jeez

Just to let you know where I'm coming from...
I worked in the AV field as an Independant Tester for over 7 years until most companies got big enough to hire enough staff so they stopped using Independants, and was awarded a lifetime membership to Virus Bulletin for my work. I decompiled and tested over 3000 different types of Windows exploits so that AV engineers could write their workings into their signature DB's.
I wrote my first computer program in 1975 on an IBM that wouldn't fit in your living room today, so I've been around these infernal boxes for just a little while and not quite what you'd call a "n00b".

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
Why does anyone need AV with Vista 64?

I've been running it for 2 months now without any 3rd party protection - just using what Vista64 provides. No viruses, trojans, etc, so far.

I run Spybot and Kaspersky about once a week to see if anything has got through, and then I turn them off again.

Bob Frost.

My Computer

I use Avast 4.8 Professional in XP x64 SP2 with no issues. It runs fine and does not use a lot of resources. I had it on a pair of four core Opteron workstations (pair of AMD dual core 1.8 and 2.4 Opterons) with 8GB and my new 8 core Xeon workstation with 16GB. It actually was hitting all the cores during manual scans. If are worried about performance upgrade hardware and get 8-16GB of RAM. 64-bit OS will love it.

I have heard very good things about Trend Micro's products. I talked to them about replace eTrust ITM. I use CA eTrust ITM in the office. It misses Trojan Horses. I would not use Symantec or MacAfee. They are still resource hogs.

If you are looking for a pure 64-bit app, you will not find it. Most are still 32-bit for front end and 64-bit for processing. I have looked for a few years for pure 64-bit apps. I hope I never see Microsoft Office x64.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
Why does anyone need AV with Vista 64?

I've been running it for 2 months now without any 3rd party protection - just using what Vista64 provides. No viruses, trojans, etc, so far.

I run Spybot and Kaspersky about once a week to see if anything has got through, and then I turn them off again.

Bob Frost.

Hi Bob

In respect to antivirus or any other malware or trojans, Vista 64bit is no different than any 32bit MS OS, there is no "built-in" antivirus protection in the 64bit OS.
You still should be using a reputable resident AV program and I also suggest that Windows Firewall should be replaced by one that actually works, like Comodo or Online Armor.

I know what you're saying tho Bob, with UAC on and with the user following good security practices, most exploits can't make any system changes or run in a malicious manner without the user being told about it. But that doesn't mean that this will always be the case either as you can bet your bottom dollar that plenty of malware writers are working hard to circumvent any built in security measures, and many that already have.
It is now, and probably always will be, up to the end user to ensure their own safety in the end. No matter what new security features are built into an OS, there will be ways to get around them and those ways will be found and exploited, so it's in your own best interests to keep a resident background scanner that's well known and trusted.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
Back