Vista Wont Share all Harddrives

bizcotti

Ive been having alot of troubles sharing all my harddrives on my network. 2 of my 5 harddrives allow me to access them on other computers in the network and 3 give me the you do not have permission to access this...contact admin. The unshared harddrives are working fine and are configured exactly the same way the the two that are being shared are. Essentially everything is the same on all harddrives but 3 dont let me access them. Very preplexing. very frustrating. please help!

**Drivers all up to date

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    amd phenom 9950+ be 2.6GHz
    Motherboard
    asus m73a
    Memory
    8 gigs of something
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Sound Card
    Rocketfish 5.1 pci
Can you give me a little more details on the setup.

Are the hardrives your sharing all from 1 machine? and cant access 3 of the 5 that are shared? is that correct?

or are you sharing each hardrive from each machine and can only access 2 of the machines?

Just need a little more clarity on your setup.

Thanks

cheex

My Computer

Sorry for the confusion theyre all on 1 machine im trying to share them to other computers on my home network. 2 of the 5 are shared and work just fine, 2 others I want to share on the network but none of the other computers can connect to them. I have XP, Vista and 7 machines but none of them can connect to the 2 drives I mentioned.

Here's a pic, hope this clarifies things. THanks!

2edmo1c.jpg

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    asus m73a
    Memory
    8 gigs of something
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Sound Card
    Rocketfish 5.1 pci
Ok.

For the 2 drives that are working ok...Im assuming all machines XP, Vista are able to access those 2 and cant access the other 3. Im also going to assume the other machines can ping the machine with the 5 drives since it can already access 2 of them. please confirm that.

Are the other 3 shared exactly the same?

have you tried accessing the drives using the start>run dialog box? go to start run and enter the commands below of course using the machines name and the sharename

\\hostname\ sharename or \\ip addresss\ sharename

Instead of mapping the drives with hostname try mapping with ip address instead.
Also are you sharing folders within those drives or the entire drives?

cheex:D

My Computer

Yes Theyre all shared exactly the same way, everyone has full permission on all of them (except for C which I dont want to share).

Ive tried connecting via run with hostname, but not via IP. I dont have a static setup on this computer so if i were to connect this way every time id have to either look it up or set a static up? Either way i dont think this is the issue because i can connect to 2 of them. Ill give checking \\ip\sharename a try, how do I find that ip exactly?

And there arent any folders shared in the harddrives, just the harddrives themselves.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    asus m73a
    Memory
    8 gigs of something
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Sound Card
    Rocketfish 5.1 pci
Ok I just tried sharing a folder one of the non communicative harddrives and it allows me access those shared folders :D. Not exactly what I had in mind but hey all i really wanted was access to the files inside, who cares if its not organized quite the way Id like it(massive list of disorganized folders in \\hostname\).

It seems to work so Im happy, thanks for the indirect suggestion, for curiosity sake what could have been causing this? It makes no sense to me. :S

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    asus m73a
    Memory
    8 gigs of something
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Sound Card
    Rocketfish 5.1 pci
Ok I just tried sharing a folder one of the non communicative harddrives and it allows me access those shared folders :D. Not exactly what I had in mind but hey all i really wanted was access to the files inside, who cares if its not organized quite the way Id like it(massive list of disorganized folders in \\hostname\).

It seems to work so Im happy, thanks for the indirect suggestion, for curiosity sake what could have been causing this? It makes no sense to me. :S
I think it may have been to do with the fact that DHCP server maybe dynamic and there wasn't enough free IP addresses for each server, that what it sounds like to me anyway :D glad you got it sorted though, it maybe worth a look in your DHCP settings on your router ;)

MrNeeds

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    Evga NF78-CK-132-A 3-Way SLI
    Memory
    8Gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 560 GTX SC FTW 1GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio, Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2409W 16:9, HDMi, DVI & VGA
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 7200rpm 250Gb SATA,
    Samsung 7200rpm 750Gb SATA,
    WD 7200rpm 1TB SCSI SATA.
    PSU
    Xigmatek 750W Quad sli quad core 80% eff
    Case
    Antec 900 Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT NVIDIA Tritium, Dominator RAM cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech generic keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Lachesis Banshee V2 Blue, 4000DPI
    Internet Speed
    16Mb Sky bb
    Other Info
    Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, Wireless Xbox 360 Pad, Wireless Xbox 360 Les Paul Guitar
Cool.

To get the IP on your machine:

START> RUN type in CMD hit enter and type in IPCONFIG

Youll get some results with an ip address.

---------------------

Typically Even if your addresses are not static, your pc´s will hold on to the same ip address even if its given from dhcp. The reason for testing with hostname and or ip address is because you may be having a dns issue where it cant resolve a hostname to an ip, even though the ip exists. So, many times youll be able to access a sharedrive or folder via ip address and not via hostname.
---------------------

And for a home network your not going to run out of IP´s. You can also just create a static address for that 1 machine your sharing all the drives from.
---------------------

You can share an entire dirve without specific folders and when you map to it map it \\hostname\c$ if your going to only share a particular folder then share the folder map the way youve already done \\hostname\sharename

cheex

My Computer

Back